Main differences Libertarian Party and Libertarian Republican faction?

One could also have a federalist view on abortion, i.e. while the federal government should have zero say on the legality of abortion, it is a perfectly acceptable topic of legislation at the STATE level.

True, but even so you'd still probably have your own personal position on the issue.

Yes, but my personal view does not trump either the Constitution or State law. My view is that if used because "you just can't have a baby now" it is a reprehensible act that could have been made un-needed by simple acts on your own part. However, I do not see a compelling state interest in banning it. On the other hand if people in Kentucky want to ban it, more power to them.

Well for me it's not simply a matter of what's constitutional, but whether or not there's a right to do something regardless of what the Constitution or state law says. If there's a right to something, but the law doesn't recognize it or strictly forbids it, then I'm opposed to that law period.

I have looked up the libertarian party and I must say, I agree with them more than any other party. But what's the libertarian view on government? I mean, no government is not achievable. I support free markets and privatization, personal freedom, taxes and spending reduced in large amounts, but some small form of government will always be there. How do libertarians on this board see this question?

Eliminating government is achievable and desirable. The idea of "limited government" is an oxymoron.

Read up on the "private law society."

The Idea of a Private Law Society - Hans-Hermann Hoppe - Mises Daily

I have looked up the libertarian party and I must say, I agree with them more than any other party. But what's the libertarian view on government? I mean, no government is not achievable. I support free markets and privatization, personal freedom, taxes and spending reduced in large amounts, but some small form of government will always be there. How do libertarians on this board see this question?

Some would agree with you, while others, myself included, would say that there is no role for the government anywhere even if there is no prospect for that happening anytime soon.

It'd be my utopia as well. Including abolishing national borders, but the disadvantage of utopias is that they are not likely to exist. People nowadays are so used to government that they can't do without a form of it

Some would agree with you, while others, myself included, would say that there is no role for the government anywhere even if there is no prospect for that happening anytime soon.

It'd be my utopia as well. Including abolishing national borders, but the disadvantage of utopias is that they are not likely to exist. People nowadays are so used to government that they can't do without a form of it

Slinging utopia affords for critique that isn't part of the equation. Nothing about human action, human behavior or environmental conditions lead anyone who promotes no government to believe such circumstances would exist sans a government.

What are the main differences in stances between those two?

the GOP version isn't libertarian or they wouldn't be anti-choice

And this is a common misconception regarding libertarianism, that we're all pro-choice. There are certain issues that are disqualifiers for libertarians, war comes to mind, but abortion is not even close to being one of them. There are pro-life and pro-choice libertarians, and there's logical basis for both positions from a libertarian point of view. Jillian, for whatever reason, simply wants her position on abortion to be the libertarian position. She doesn't care what we think on anything else, as far as I can tell, but for some reason she wants to think of herself as at least being libertarian on abortion.

"Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration."

https://www.lp.org/platform

The idea that this would be some kind of utopia, which is by definition impossible, is nonsense. Nobody should be claiming that eliminating the state would eliminate all problems, because it wouldn't.

the GOP version isn't libertarian or they wouldn't be anti-choice

And this is a common misconception regarding libertarianism, that we're all pro-choice. There are certain issues that are disqualifiers for libertarians, war comes to mind, but abortion is not even close to being one of them. There are pro-life and pro-choice libertarians, and there's logical basis for both positions from a libertarian point of view. Jillian, for whatever reason, simply wants her position on abortion to be the libertarian position. She doesn't care what we think on anything else, as far as I can tell, but for some reason she wants to think of herself as at least being libertarian on abortion.

"Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration."

https://www.lp.org/platform

That about sums it up.

True, but even so you'd still probably have your own personal position on the issue.

Yes, but my personal view does not trump either the Constitution or State law. My view is that if used because "you just can't have a baby now" it is a reprehensible act that could have been made un-needed by simple acts on your own part. However, I do not see a compelling state interest in banning it. On the other hand if people in Kentucky want to ban it, more power to them.

Well for me it's not simply a matter of what's constitutional, but whether or not there's a right to do something regardless of what the Constitution or state law says. If there's a right to something, but the law doesn't recognize it or strictly forbids it, then I'm opposed to that law period.

What is constitutional is what we are allowed to try to change. What is right determines what we SHOULD try to change.

Forum List

Back