Main differences Libertarian Party and Libertarian Republican faction?

Hard to say when you're talking so broadly. You've got Libertarian Party people like Bob Barr and Gary Johnson who aren't really the same at all, and then "Libertarian Republicans" like Rand Paul, who I wouldn't even call libertarian, and Justin Amash who are quite different from one another. So it's difficult to say how the "factions" differ from one another, when members of those factions differ from one another just as much. You can really only look on the individual level of people who can be called libertarians.

Hard to say when you're talking so broadly. You've got Libertarian Party people like Bob Barr and Gary Johnson who aren't really the same at all, and then "Libertarian Republicans" like Rand Paul, who I wouldn't even call libertarian, and Justin Amash who are quite different from one another. So it's difficult to say how the "factions" differ from one another, when members of those factions differ from one another just as much. You can really only look on the individual level of people who can be called libertarians.

Ooh okay, so there are not even libertarians in the Republican Party as it used to be. I mean, I wouldn't call Rand Paul and Justin Amash libertarians in comparison to Ron Paul.

Ooh okay, so there are not even libertarians in the Republican Party as it used to be. I mean, I wouldn't call Rand Paul and Justin Amash libertarians in comparison to Ron Paul.

Are there even libertarians in the Libertarian Party though? Bob Barr was certainly a stretch, and while Johnson was a vast improvement I still had some issues with his positions.

Are there even libertarians in the Libertarian Party though? Bob Barr was certainly a stretch, and while Johnson was a vast improvement I still had some issues with his positions.

So what you are saying is that if you have differences with their opinions, then they aren't "real" libertarians??? That can't be it?

If there were ever a libertarian party capable of garnering enough of the electorate to take the presidency, they would cease to be libertarians.

Not if they used the presidency to dismantle the government from the inside and then resign.

If there were ever a libertarian party capable of garnering enough of the electorate to take the presidency, they would cease to be libertarians.

Not if they used the presidency to dismantle the government from the inside and then resign.

I'm not sure - but I don't think "Libertarian" is the same as "anarchist"

For the extreme end of Libertarianism it is one and the same. Anarchists just tend to have a more leftist bent. Big on communes and collectives, but only local ones, with no national or even state form of government.

Communist anarchists, do, yeah. Then there are those like me, who are Rothbardian, or better known as Anarcho-capitalists.

So what you are saying is that if you have differences with their opinions, then they aren't "real" libertarians??? That can't be it?

Not in the least. There are plenty of libertarians I have disagreements with. Kaz and I have gone back and forth on certain issues on this board numerous times, but I still consider him a libertarian. There is a line, at some point, however, and Bob Barr very clearly doesn't meet that line. Johnson is generally good but I don't think he has a consistent foundation for his views, and that can lead him astray sometimes.

I'm not sure - but I don't think "Libertarian" is the same as "anarchist"

Libertarian doesn't necessarily mean anarchist, but it can mean anarchist.

Not in the least. There are plenty of libertarians I have disagreements with. Kaz and I have gone back and forth on certain issues on this board numerous times, but I still consider him a libertarian. There is a line, at some point, however, and Bob Barr very clearly doesn't meet that line. Johnson is generally good but I don't think he has a consistent foundation for his views, and that can lead him astray sometimes.

Thanks, for getting back to me - I appreciate that.
So can you tell me, in a nut shell - what the benchmarks or dividing lines are?
Can you give me an example of a position that is Libertarian and how it differs from a close - but non Libertarian - position? Maybe on one of the foundational positions (if that's even a word)?

Anyone who claims to be libertarian but can turn around and promote the abuse of the NAP doesn't make the cut. Gary Johnson reduced his credentials when he wanted to send military intervention over the whole Kony thing. He went on the record to say it. That's against the principles of libertariansim.

Rand paul is the same. He's a republican who leans in the direction of libertariansim in some areas. He is all about foreign invasions, etc...

Can you give me an example of a position that is Libertarian and how it differs from a close - but non Libertarian - position? Maybe on one of the foundational positions (if that's even a word)?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking for, but I'll use the example of gay marriage. No actual libertarian supports gay or traditional marriage because no libertarian thinks there's a role for the state whatsoever. We may personally support gays getting married, or not, but we do not support the government sanctioning either because it would violate people's property rights either way.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking for, but I'll use the example of gay marriage. No actual libertarian supports gay or traditional marriage because no libertarian thinks there's a role for the state whatsoever. We may personally support gays getting married, or not, but we do not support the government sanctioning either because it would violate people's property rights either way.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

OK, thanks.

Forum List

Back