Mafia Discussion Thread: Keep Your Torches and Pitchforks at Home!

Alright. I'll auto you in, Avatar. If we were to have a theme, what do you think would sound good?

I'm sort of having devilishly clever ideas right now, and am trying to keep them under wraps. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Hm, Pirates of the Carribean Mafia?

what kind of themes do they do with it? I was thinking it might be cool to do a jedi/sith themed game with the mafia being sith. but i am just showing my geek there.

With Mafia... it can have any conceivable theme out there. Far more than Monopoly.

Super Mario, Resident Evil, Jurassic Park, The Godfather, anything you can think of we can play. And this isn't even including gameplay mechanics.

While I'd like to play a Closed Setup, I think it would be prudent to run a few more Open Setups for the new players here.

Haven't invited members with invites, yet, but I think that would make a great next step to keep developing an interested playerbase. :D

Last edited:
With Mafia... it can have any conceivable theme out there. Far more than Monopoly.

Super Mario, Resident Evil, Jurassic Park, The Godfather, anything you can think of we can play. And this isn't even including gameplay mechanics.

While I'd like to play a Closed Setup, I think it would be prudent to run a few more Open Setups for the new players here.

What is a closed setup? Still a newbie here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question. :badgrin:

The game you guys have been playing is an Open Setup. This thing is what makes it so:

The Road So Far...​

Town Cop - RosieS
Town Doctor - ?
Vanilla Townie (Bulletproof) - strollingbones
Vanilla Townie - ?
Vanilla Townie - Blackflag
Vanilla Townie - ?
Vanilla Townie - Cereal_Killer
Vanilla Townie - ?
Vanilla Townie- Mebelle60
Red Mafia Roleblocker - ?
Red Mafia Goon - ?
Blue Mafia Roleblocker - Syrenn
Blue Mafia Goon - Moonglow

It lets everyone know which Roles, like the Cop and Roleblocker, are in the game. It also shows which factions are at work, and their numbers. I'll still reveal what's at play only after players die, though, which helps.

However, in a Closed Setup, we'll usher in what's generally known as a fog of war. All you'll know is who's playing. You won't know what roles the game contains, or which factions, and how many. All you'll know is which people are playing, and that there's at least one evil entity at work.:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Last edited:
On the philosophy of Mafia, one of the basic elements is to push other players. By pushing them to get them to talk, you can gauge their reactions. By goading players into responding, a Townie can better understand who's lying, who's nervous, and who's oh-so-slick. A good Townie is one who has nothing to hide, is logical, and does what he or she can to keep the Town from dividing up and killing one another.

Mafia can go way in depth. I can't hold a candle to some of the Scummers who are like gladiators in the game, whether Town or Scum. It's all psychological. It's all wordplay. :D

I'm planning on starting a Signup thread for the next game.

What I'm wondering is if you'd like to give it a theme. If you do, I'll work my magic and make it work. :D

Is anyone down for the next one? :eusa_clap:

I'll be in it.

@ me pls :)

I'm planning on starting a Signup thread for the next game.

What I'm wondering is if you'd like to give it a theme. If you do, I'll work my magic and make it work. :D

Is anyone down for the next one? :eusa_clap:

I'm in, with a request.

Since we're all relatively new to this I'd like to have another run, without magic, because a few kinks need to be worked out.

And I want a better death scene next time! :D

Alrighty. Without even starting the search for game 2's contestants we have 4 players thus far:

Ropey
Grandma
Mebelle

I have the feeling Mafia is going to take root here. It's an excellent way to take a break from political arguing. :D If you guys want, I can help you to run your own Mafia games, too. Modding a game is just as fun as playing, if not even moreso. You get to watch your own game unfold.

Mebelle I'm not sure what you mean by magic, but if you want I can keep it unthemed and normal for you newbies. :lol: I think it'd be wise to keep the games basic for now, to help you guys get accustomed to the ins and outs of the game.

There's also a whole lot of advanced Mafia theory to this game. Some are even trying to treat it like a science, by routinely changing their very behavioral patterns to keep other competitive players from learning their gameplay. This link I think you will all find immensely helpful (I did when I started):

Commonly Asked Questions on Mafia Theory

And these are also helpful:

Verbally Abusing your fellow Mafia player is not okay
How does one Scum Hunt?
Best way to screw someone over in Mafia?
When you are an incredibly easy read...
The Gameplay Improvement Thread

Last edited:
I seriously cannot believe I am still alive. I thought I was dead today for sure.

Well, it's a 50/50 shot either way.

But if it turns out Avatar was the scum all along, I'm guessing we'll find out Mertex was his partner.

If R.D. turns out to be scum and the game continues, my sights are square on dblack as the partner.

:)

That's why I don't care for the sudden death version Wake has going. Plus with the stupid board going in and out today it was hell posting anyway

btw: Anyone interested in a side bet...

I'm so confident in my assertion that either Avatar or R.D. (at least one) are mafia, that i'll offer an avi wager for one week or 50 posts, whichever comes second, with anyone who wants to bet against it.

Forum List

Back