Mad_Cabbie's weight loss odyssey.

Last year, I was 240 lbs and was working out at the gym 5 days a week and dieting (quite unsuccessfully).

After a few months, I decided to make some changes.

1 i stopped drinking my calories. That means spring water and coffee in the morning, no cream or sugar.

2 I quit working out so much. I decided to concentrate on losing first and then start working out when I had more energy.

3 I cut my overall intake of food.

4 I started eating shortly after I woke up.

5 I don't keep food in my house so I wont eat late-night snacks.

Now, after a month and a half - I'm 218!

I have a lot more energy now from not eating sugar so I decided to every day, start cleaning my cab for exercise! I know it sounds weird, but I no longer take my cab through the $12.00 car wash and instead, I wipe it off, manually. The results for the cab are spectacular - I have the cleanest cab in the city (not that hard to do).

Sill losing weight and my goal for now, is to start working out more once I reach 195.

I'm hopping to be there by June.

I will adjust my goal of 178 lbs as I slim down further; I don't want to lose any muscle mass, so I make sure that I get enough protein.

As far as my fat intake, I am shooting for a healthy balance of good fats, like Omega 3, and a proper mix of saturated fats with no trans fats.

Every day I eat a couple pieces of fruit and veggies when I have time. I keep nuts and raisins for snacks and every week, I break down and have pizza on Friday night. This plan seems to be working very well.

I'll update in a few days or whenever I lose more.

Edit: I forgot to share what made me decide to want to be thin again.

When I was young, I liked the fact that I was thin, but very strong. It used to surprise people when I weighed 160 lbs, but I could out bench them.

Most specifically, though, I miss being able to "squeeze" through tight spaces.

I hesitate to comment as this may be a setup to some elaborate joke but I think you're doing everything right.

Last year, I was 240 lbs and was working out at the gym 5 days a week and dieting (quite unsuccessfully).

1 i stopped drinking my calories. That means spring water and coffee in the morning, no cream or sugar.

2 I quit working out so much. I decided to concentrate on losing first and then start working out when I had more energy.

I have a lot more energy now from not eating sugar so I decided to every day, start cleaning my cab for exercise! I know it sounds weird, but I no longer take my cab through the $12.00 car wash and instead, I wipe it off, manually. The results for the cab are spectacular - I have the cleanest cab in the city (not that hard to do).

Sill losing weight and my goal for now, is to start working out more once I reach 195.

I will adjust my goal of 178 lbs as I slim down further; I don't want to lose any muscle mass, so I make sure that I get enough protein.

As far as my fat intake, I am shooting for a healthy balance of good fats, like Omega 3, and a proper mix of saturated fats with no trans fats.

Every day I eat a couple pieces of fruit and veggies when I have time. I keep nuts and raisins for snacks and every week, I break down and have pizza on Friday night. This plan seems to be working very well.

When I was young, I liked the fact that I was thin, but very strong. It used to surprise people when I weighed 160 lbs, but I could out bench them.

VERY sensible weight-loss program, MC. :clap2: Sugar and breads are the most fattening foods, as well as any food with gluten. Sugar is addicting. Smart to give up the gym too, as new muscle adds weight and is discouraging to those trying to lose it. It is recommended to put off the fitness club until after the desired weight loss is achieved, according to the most reputable sites on the subject I have read. :D Way to go, guy..

Have to respectfully disagree with you on the weights. Weight training should be part of a full spectrum program for optimum health. More and more studies are showing that weight training is just as important as cardio training to reduce weight if not more so.

i hate you for this ...hate hate hate......i lost a bunch of weight ..walking....now in the summer i mow the yard instead of walking....kinda like cleaning the cab....but now everyone is on me to lift.....muscle build up and all..

mc...drop the carbs simple as that......but drop them to 20 to 70 carbs a day....and you will drop the weight....now be aware a slice of bread has about 20 carbs per slice...
i dont read calories ...i read carbs....

people will claim that the carb drop will harm you....it will not....its a radical change that will drop the weight...

limit proteins to a card deck serving......yea its just a sad little 4 oz steak....and such....for every 100 calories you must walk a mile...think about it.....

10 peanut m & ms are 15 carbs...its just amazing how quickly they add up

water, water, water just drink as much water as you can....no beer...a friend of mine cant reach her goal weight cause of the mic's every night

mountain dew is the worst and will cause 'dew mouth' or your teeth to rot

n poorer regions of the United States, most notably the mountainous area known as Appalachia, proper dental care and dental health education is practically non-existent. Many residents have a significantly higher rate of tooth decay and tooth loss because of their poor dental hygiene and unchecked consumption of sugary foods and beverages. Dentists who work in Appalachia have coined a new name for the extreme instances of tooth decay caused primarily by drinking sugary sodas. They refer to the condition as Mountain Dew Mouth.

Mountain Dew Mouth owes its name to the carbonated soda Mountain Dew, a beverage produced by Pepsi Co. Although many other sodas contain significant amounts of sugar, caffeine and phosphoric acid, Mountain Dew contains one of the highest levels of caffeine of any soft drink. To mask the bitterness of the caffeine, the formula for Mountain Dew also calls for higher amounts of sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Many children and adolescents in Appalachia routinely purchase large bottles of Mountain Dew and take frequent sips. According to dental health professionals, this would be the equivalent of bathing teeth in sugar for eight hours a day.

What is Mountain Dew Mouth? (with picture)

Isometric training is an alternative to pumping iron and gives similar results w/o having to join a gym or buy equipt.

congratulations are in order!

i lost 30 pounds by simply by stopping drinking pop and cutting out white bread

VERY sensible weight-loss program, MC. :clap2: Sugar and breads are the most fattening foods, as well as any food with gluten. Sugar is addicting. Smart to give up the gym too, as new muscle adds weight and is discouraging to those trying to lose it. It is recommended to put off the fitness club until after the desired weight loss is achieved, according to the most reputable sites on the subject I have read. :D Way to go, guy..

Have to respectfully disagree with you on the weights. Weight training should be part of a full spectrum program for optimum health. More and more studies are showing that weight training is just as important as cardio training to reduce weight if not more so.

Oh, I absolutely agree, but I'm saving that for next month, as I am going to need a "boost" once I get below 195-200. I'm already very strong for my size from lifting for most of the last two or three years - in fact, the gym weights that are "fixed" like for leg presses - are hard-pressed to accommodate the amount of iron that I need.

By the way, stepped on the scale last night @ 214! i am having a ball and I feel fantastic.

My 36's (waist size) are starting to fit a lot more loosely, now.

My "fat belt" is now in the garbage.

Thanks for bumping the thread, guys - I hope that other people get on-board with this.

Summer is coming - time to treat yourselves!

I hesitate to comment as this may be a setup to some elaborate joke but I think you're doing everything right.

I understand completely, what with my reputation for yanking people's chains!

Thanks for stopping by and I can assure you - I am very serious about having one last little flirtation with being attractive, before I'm too old to care!

;)

i hate you for this ...hate hate hate......i lost a bunch of weight ..walking....now in the summer i mow the yard instead of walking....kinda like cleaning the cab....but now everyone is on me to lift.....muscle build up and all..

mc...drop the carbs simple as that......but drop them to 20 to 70 carbs a day....and you will drop the weight....now be aware a slice of bread has about 20 carbs per slice...
i dont read calories ...i read carbs....

people will claim that the carb drop will harm you....it will not....its a radical change that will drop the weight...

limit proteins to a card deck serving......yea its just a sad little 4 oz steak....and such....for every 100 calories you must walk a mile...think about it.....

10 peanut m & ms are 15 carbs...its just amazing how quickly they add up

water, water, water just drink as much water as you can....no beer...a friend of mine cant reach her goal weight cause of the mic's every night

Awe, don't be a hater bones, lol. Weight training really is super important though, and the fact is that it becomes even more important as we get older. As we age, we naturally lose muscle mass, so weight training is a must along with eating an adequate amount of protein. In general, when I talk about weight training, I'm not talking about trying to become the Hulk. I consistently lift weights every third day to maintain my strength and keep the muscle that I have. I am a runner, so I am quite slender. Building muscle mass is almost impossible for me, so my goal is not to build mass, but to keep the muscle I have as strong as possible. Weight training is a great way to prevent or reduce the complications related to osteoporosis also.

Forum List

Back