M.I.A.: Disaster Planning

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
B]Government Is to Blame for the Chaos[/B]
By James P. Pinkerton, Newsday
September 1, 2005

As we see the devastation from Hurricane Katrina - caused first by nature and now by looters, shooters and carjackers - it's time to state the obvious. We need a larger vision of homeland security, as well as a better focus on the American homeland.

Politicians of both parties have sounded warnings for some time, but true leadership on readying for disaster has been lacking. And so the images from New Orleans this week have recalled not only the panic of 9/11 in New York City but the chaos of April 2003 in Baghdad after the United States ousted Saddam Hussein - and the looters took charge.

There was warning from on high but not much doing. On July 16, Gov. Mike Huckabee, Republican of Arkansas and new chairman of the National Governors Association, took note of heavy deployments of state National Guard units to Iraq. "If we had a major natural disaster, we would be stretched thin," he warned. "All governors right now are worried about the long-term impact of long deployment."

But it doesn't appear that governors did much about these concerns beyond griping to the press. The Louisiana Guard, for example, has about 11,000 members, of whom 3,000 are in Iraq. And yet, of the remaining 8,000 in the Pelican State, fewer than half were on duty the day Katrina struck. Does that look like good leadership from Democratic Gov. Kathleen Blanco?

One might also ask: Where was President George W. Bush as the storm brewed? And Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff? Katrina was identified on Aug. 24, and so national authorities had five days to prepare for its impact on the Gulf Coast. Perhaps there wasn't enough time to strengthen the lifesaving levees, but where was the comprehensive disaster response? Where were the planeloads of temporary generators and pumps to keep the electricity and water going?

And most of all, where were the battalions of law enforcers, including, if need be, troops from around the country? Nowhere.

for full article:
http://newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-oppin014406004sep01,0,4952035.column

I could not believe seeing people blaming this on Bush, as if the executive of the nation should have a plan for each city. The non-existant plans of the Mayor and Governor of that City and State are what is wreaking the current havoc, not a lack of planning by the Federal Executive.

When NYC was attacked, strong leadership had plans of action that were in place, these will filled in and backed up by the Federal Executive. Chaos of this type did not ensue because there were actual plans made at the local level for action, then were backed up by the Federal Executive. This is how it should be. The total non-existence of any plan at the Local and State level made it so the Federal Executive had to put infrastructure in place that should already have been there, thus increasing the response time.

If you listen to the media you would think that Louisiana had no Governor at all except to beg for help for their lack of leadership. This person is getting a pass that they should not receive, it is a disgusting lack of leadership ability.

no1tovote4 said:
I could not believe seeing people blaming this on Bush, as if the executive of the nation should have a plan for each city. The non-existant plans of the Mayor and Governor of that City and State are what is wreaking the current havoc, not a lack of planning by the Federal Executive.

When NYC was attacked, strong leadership had plans of action that were in place, these will filled in and backed up by the Federal Executive. Chaos of this type did not ensue because there were actual plans made at the local level for action, then were backed up by the Federal Executive. This is how it should be. The total non-existence of any plan at the Local and State level made it so the Federal Executive had to put infrastructure in place that should already have been there, thus increasing the response time.

If you listen to the media you would think that Louisiana had no Governor at all except to beg for help for their lack of leadership. This person is getting a pass that they should not receive, it is a disgusting lack of leadership ability.

I would venture to guess that the city of New Orleans spent little (if any) money on any sort of disaster planning. I also am guessing that none of these issues were of concern to local or state officials except as a way to get more money (spent elsewhere) out of the Federal government.

CSM said:
I would venture to guess that the city of New Orleans spent little (if any) money on any sort of disaster planning. I also am guessing that none of these issues were of concern to local or state officials except as a way to get more money (spent elsewhere) out of the Federal government.

People who try to plan to respond to disasters in America to not anticipate having "victims" shooting at them. How would America react to American soldiers killing other Americans? Oh ya--It's also UNCONSTIUTIONAL.

I can see the reaction now when the the next disaster planning incudes snipers to kill troublemakers. I'm not talking about people looking for food---I'm talking about people IMPEDING the rescue effort by literally attacking it.

I wouldn't blame Bush, this is once again, people he depends on failing him miserably.

Its not his fault. Its the fricking FEMA, Homeland Security, etc etc.

NATO AIR said:
I wouldn't blame Bush, this is once again, people he depends on failing him miserably.

Its not his fault. Its the fricking FEMA, Homeland Security, etc etc.

You have to start where the infrastructure should be built, the local level. Those that live in LA have a clear idea of what disasters to prepare for and should have had plans in place for one such as this. They had absolutely none. This created a need for the Feds to fill the gap and build an infrastructure from scratch to get help to these people. The failure of their local leadership has caused great hardship for the people of NO.

Forum List

Back