Lumigan eye drops

Mr. H.

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2009
A warm place with no memory.
Does anyone here use them or used to? It reduces eye pressure.

I've been prescribed it for about a year, and initially the Doc gave me a discount card which made it quite inexpensive. But the card evidently expired so instead of the $10 charge, it's now $116... for 2.5 ml. Yes, millileters.

That comes to about $7.3 million/barrel for you folks tracking oil prices. :D

So unless I can get my hands on another discount card, I guess my eyes are just gonna kasplode.

I've been prescribed it for about a year, and initially the Doc gave me a discount card which made it quite inexpensive. But the card evidently expired so instead of the $10 charge, it's now $116... for 2.5 ml. Yes, millileters.

So unless I can get my hands on another discount card, I guess my eyes are just gonna kasplode.

What is the source of the eye pressure? Computer use? I have that sometimes. I use Thera Tears OTC lubricant when I have a flare-up. I have worked online for 15 years. One eye wants me to STOP!!! :lol:

There's a history in the family of glaucoma and detached retinas.
The drops reduce my ocular pressure about 20% - from 19 to 15.
There are a couple of generic options but the doc isn't impressed with them. Plus they need to be refrigerated. I hate eye drops, especially cold!
So about 10 minutes before I use these, I tuck the tiny bottle in my waste band to warm them up.
Har.

There are a couple of generic options but the doc isn't impressed with them. Plus they need to be refrigerated. I hate eye drops, especially cold!
So about 10 minutes before I use these, I tuck the tiny bottle in my waste band to warm them up.
Har.

Bummer, Mr. H! Are you thinking heavy computer use, could exaggerate the problem...or not?

Can you move to Colorado?

Can you move to Colorado?

:lmao:

I had an eye injury last year...I was prescribed some eye drops...can't remember the name. There was no generic option. $165 for the same size bottle. The worst part, I just dropped prescription coverage on my insurance.

Lumigan is a brand name for brimotropost. Brimotropost has fewer and less serious side effects than some other solutions that are used for similar purpose such as brimonidine, timolol maleate and others. Unfortunately, Lumigan is on the expensive end of the spectrum of medications used to lower eye pressure.
Look up Timolol Maleate and see if it would affect any health issue's you may have. I know someone who gets it for $4 at Walmart. Check the brimonidine brands at your drugstore, online or whatever. It really depends on what your doctors have to say and/or how you evaluate your own health history with the medical warnings, etc. to determine if you can switch to a cheaper medicine safely.

You might be able to get your Doc to switch you to Combigan and get a discount card that would help for a while. Combigan is a combination of two glaucoma medications sometimes used instead of and sometimes with Lumigan. I have had no experience with generics for either.

Interesting side effect of Combigan is growth of eyelashes...for which reason there are instances of women using it for cosmetic purposes!

If you have insurance that covers medical eye conditions (as opposed to corrective lenses) but not prescriptions your opthamologist might be able to refer you to a surgeon for implantation of a drain. Once that's in there is no need for medication other than the occasional use of a decent lubricating drop.

Maybe I just have a great eye doctor, but he had me in every couple of weeks for an eye pressure test. Each time he supplied me with free samples. After about 6 weeks and three pressure test we found two that worked well together and covered by my insurance. They were happy because the two selected were the least expensive.

Har.

Bummer, Mr. H! Are you thinking heavy computer use, could exaggerate the problem...or not?

Yeah I do stare at the screen most of the day at work.
And most of the night at USMB. Especially when I'm drankin'. :beer:

Anyhow thanks for the input, all. :thup:

Well, I did some digging and found the Mfr's loyalty program. Called them up and they renewed my discount card. But instead of $10, it's $30 a pop. Still beats the $100+ :thup:

Maybe I'll call my optometrist and whine. Maybe she has another one of the "good buddy" $10 cards. :D

Ha! Newsflash- just got of phone with my doc. She has another $10 card.

I told them that I didn't want to accept it if they have other patients on Lumigan who are in greater need of the reduced price. She said don't worry about it, they set it aside for me. :thup:

New discovery about glaucoma...

Study: Blockage on Eye's Chemical Pathway Leads to Glaucoma
September 10, 2014 ~ A new study using laboratory mice points to the mechanism behind a leading cause of blindness. The research also points to a possible treatment.
The World Health Organization has listed glaucoma as the second leading cause of blindness, behind cataracts. Drugs and surgery can sometimes help, but better treatments could make a difference.
In glaucoma, a build-up of pressure in the eye can lead to damage to the optic nerve and loss of sight. Susan E. Quaggin, MD, of Northwestern University in Chicago explains that the eye is full of fluid and it is making new fluid all the time. “And you can imagine, when you are making this fluid, it is just as important that you have a proper drainage system, so the fluid can escape," she explained in a telephone interview. “And if there is a problem with this drainage system, the fluid will build up, and this results in increased pressure.”

22B82FED-E48B-44BA-9D66-B05904D4382C_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy3_cw0.jpg

Eyes of a genetically-modified mouse (r) bulge with excess pressure compared to a normal mouse. Pressure damages the optic nerve in human cataract patients, leading to blindness.

Quaggin and her colleagues identified a specific chemical signal or pathway in the body that is essential for a healthy drainage system to develop. Mice that were genetically modified to block that chemical signal quickly showed signs of glaucoma. “Without this pathway, the drainage system does not develop, the pressure builds up, and glaucoma develops,” she added.

By identifying an essential chemical pathway for proper fluid drainage from the eye, Quaggin says her lab now has a target for a medicine that might help. “Ultimately what we are trying to do is to develop an eye drop, a simple eye drop, that we could give to patients that will actually activate this pathway to improve drainage and to reduce pressure, and prevent blindness.” The study by Northwestern University’s Susan Quaggin and her colleagues is published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

Study Blockage on Eye s Chemical Pathway Leads to Glaucoma

Lumigan is an example of a Pharmaceutical company jacking up prices for profit. Four years ago it was affordable even without a discount. Used to be under $40. Then they tripled the price once they discovered it grew eyelashes Same thing happened with Rogaine. The only option is to buy the separate generic components such as Brimonidine Tartrate and Timolol Maleate.

While cleaning out a cabinet this weekend, I found two bottles of lumigan that are about 2 years old. They were unopened and still in their original packaging. Are they still okay to use? I hate to have to toss them because they're expensive! Thanks for advice.

Forum List

Back