Low Income Workers Seeing Best Wage Hikes in a Decade

"Pay for the bottom 25 percent of wage earners, who account for 82 percent of the population, rose 4.5 percent in November from the year-ago period, according to data published by the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. That’s the highest since July 2008. Wages for top earners, meanwhile, rose just 2.9 percent last month."

And this is at the slowing period of a very much aging economic expansion, instead of at the sharp upswing at the beginning.

This is what it is about to me. Changing the UNDERLYING trends, that continue on and though, economic cycle to cycle.

Better jobs, fewer immigrants, lead to better wages.

And people are outraged by this.

Insane.

The bottom earners are always the last to see any wage gain, if they see any at all. They will not see a wage increase until economic expansion has gone far enough to decrease even the bottom tier pool of workers.

There are no trends that are changing, this is exactly what you would expect to see from an extended economic expansion.

Nobody is outraged by this, why must you throw in a lie?

Reports I have seen have said otherwise. Can you support your claim?

which claim?

The one you just made. In your previous post. About what we were talking about.

ie that this rise in wages is normal.

I made more than one, that is why I asked.

You need proof that wages go up in a tight labor market?

Really?

THis issue is wage stagnation, that has persisted though good times and bad, ie though multiple economic cycles.

This time, with Trump's attempts at better trade and immigration policies we are seeing better results on wages, especially lower end wages, than we have seen for quite some time.

This expansion is very old. YOu claim that it is normal AT THE END of an expansion to see lower end wages rise at that point.

That is the point you made. Now, can you support it?

you cant get a booming economy overnight, my friends!

Err, what the hell does that even mean in this context?
Obama gets the credit, that's what it means, brah!

T has slashed investment in science and research. that's devastating to the economy long term, my friend.

5lytn.jpg

T has slashed investment in science and research. that's devastating to the economy long term, my friend.

5lytn.jpg
if Obama's economy was so worse than Trump's, how come O won re-election? i know Trump wont win a 2nd term, my friends!

The bottom earners are always the last to see any wage gain, if they see any at all. They will not see a wage increase until economic expansion has gone far enough to decrease even the bottom tier pool of workers.

There are no trends that are changing, this is exactly what you would expect to see from an extended economic expansion.

Nobody is outraged by this, why must you throw in a lie?

which claim?

Really?

THis issue is wage stagnation, that has persisted though good times and bad, ie though multiple economic cycles.

This time, with Trump's attempts at better trade and immigration policies we are seeing better results on wages, especially lower end wages, than we have seen for quite some time.

This expansion is very old. YOu claim that it is normal AT THE END of an expansion to see lower end wages rise at that point.

I did not say at the end, I said "from an extended economic expansion".

It is basic common economic sense. Low wage workers are the most plentiful and the easiest to replace. Their wages are not going to to up until there is a shortage of even these workers.

Why Wages Are Finally Rising, 10 Years After the Recession

But minimum wages are only part of the story. Ernie Tedeschi, an economist at Evercore ISI, estimates that the minimum-wage increases account for a quarter to a third of low-wage workers’ gains over the past three years. The rest is most likely a result of a tightening labor market that is forcing employers to raise pay even for workers at the bottom of the earnings ladder.

Ms. Gimbel noted that better-paying industries had experienced faster job growth in recent months, while the fastest wage growth had been in lower-paying industries. That could indicate that sectors like health care and manufacturing are snapping up workers, forcing retailers and restaurants to raise pay to compete

5lytn.jpg
if Obama's economy was so worse than Trump's, how come O won re-election? i know Trump wont win a 2nd term, my friends!

Dude. Seriously. YOu should be on a more social site. Do you have any hobbies, like computer games or pets?

5lytn.jpg

Dude. Seriously. YOu should be on a more social site. Do you have any hobbies, like computer games or pets?
i'm an unemployed oppo researcher. what did you expect?

booming economy my pasty white ass!

which claim?

Really?

It is basic common economic sense. Low wage workers are the most plentiful and the easiest to replace. Their wages are not going to to up until there is a shortage of even these workers.

But minimum wages are only part of the story. Ernie Tedeschi, an economist at Evercore ISI, estimates that the minimum-wage increases account for a quarter to a third of low-wage workers’ gains over the past three years. The rest is most likely a result of a tightening labor market that is forcing employers to raise pay even for workers at the bottom of the earnings ladder.

Ms. Gimbel noted that better-paying industries had experienced faster job growth in recent months, while the fastest wage growth had been in lower-paying industries. That could indicate that sectors like health care and manufacturing are snapping up workers, forcing retailers and restaurants to raise pay to compete

Now show that has been occurring in other recent long running economic expansions.

5lytn.jpg

Good lord, you mean you are trying to make a career out of what you have shown us?

Ouch.

which claim?

Really?

Now show that has been occurring in other recent long running economic expansions.

We have not had many recent long running economic expansions, and none this long.

But according to the article in the OP this is the best gain since July of 2008, which was after the end of the last long running economic expansion and before unemployment started to skyrocket.

So, there is your example.

5lytn.jpg

Good lord, you mean you are trying to make a career out of what you have shown us?

Ouch.
i was first to break the story about Pocahontas bein' lyin'. and then the media pounced!

You liberals didn't build that, BB! It happened despite you.
The minimum wage debacle simply underscores how little most of you grasp about economics in general. You do things not because they make sense but because they make you feel good about yourselves.

5lytn.jpg
]
Which member of the clown car of candidates you on the left are running do you see beating Trump? I'm just curious who you think it is that can satisfy the progressive wing of the Democratic Party enough to get nominated and still have a prayer of winning a general election?

The Left can BS voters about a lot of things, but no politician can fool voters about their personal economic situation and that of their neighbors and friends.

Low-earning Americans are seeing the biggest wage gains in a decade.
We were recovering from a Recession the last ten years. And, blue States are starting to implement their fifteen dollar an hour wage regime.
And getting hours cut or fired because of it.

Seattle Restaurant Worker: I’m a Progressive, but the Minimum Wage Law Killed Jobs Including Mine.

The Left can BS voters about a lot of things, but no politician can fool voters about their personal economic situation and that of their neighbors and friends.

Low-earning Americans are seeing the biggest wage gains in a decade.
We were recovering from a Recession the last ten years. And, blue States are starting to implement their fifteen dollar an hour wage regime.
And getting hours cut or fired because of it.

Seattle Restaurant Worker: I’m a Progressive, but the Minimum Wage Law Killed Jobs Including Mine.
We are working on equal protection of the law for unemployment compensation on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States, for that reason; along with the positive benefits of a positive multiplier effect of Two or more, along with solving simple poverty in a market friendly manner.

Do Capitalists have no basis to love the Poor as good persons of Christian morality should? Capitalists can always pass those costs along to consumers just like taxes.

Forum List

Back