Lott Guns Down Costas!

Sometimes one needs to be able to put two and two together....

...if someone said "there's a dead bird...."

...would you be looking up?

BTW....did you happen to graduate from a government school?

Stop digging PoliChic. :nono: You jumped to conclusions, read-into what was not present, & Pogo called you out on your false presumption :)

BTW- where you go to school?

Last edited:
The less competent attack the messenger.

I've noticed that. But since I didn't attack you and you didn't attack me it's another non sequitur. Ann Coulter was not the messenger; you were. She was just your tool.

Are you suggesting that Coulter is in error?
Could you prove that?

After all, she is a scholar.

ooooh, a scholar! Yeah, aren't we all. In this case 'scholar' is spelled g-a-d-f-l-y but whether she's in error or not is a moot point, because it's off the topic. That's why I snipped the rest of your quote -- equally irrelevant.

I guess I should break the news that that quote from Phallaciouses Canardementius was a fabricated sarcasm to represent what's attempted here. To go alllll the way back to the beginning, neither Bob Costas, nor Jason Whitlock (nor I) said a single word about gun laws, gun control, or "taking anything away". So all these side trips down the rhetorical alleys of shooting down your own strawmen are just that. Irrelevant side trips to avoid going where the national dialogue needs to go.

While the fallaciers are playing cops and robbers games down those alleys looking for boogeymen of their own creation, I'm back in the car with Bob Costas, waiting, occasionally honking the horn to say "let's go". We have Phallaciouses Canardementius in the back seat, laughing his ass off. I think H.L. Mencken is back there too. If we can't go anywhere we might as well enjoy the non-ride.

Last edited:
Ann Coulter as a basis. The barrel would seem to be bottomless.

Once again, introducing oranges (laws) into a discussion about apples (social attitudes) is just continuing the same non sequitur. So no three cheers for you.

"When you can't win the argument, redefine what the argument is" -- ancient philosopher Phallaciouses Canardementia

^ that. Too bad, so sad Poli Chic. :eusa_boohoo: Maybe in the future you won't put 30 minutes of cuttin 'n pasting into each of your OP's. Where you go to school anyway?

The less competent attack the messenger.

I've noticed that. But since I didn't attack you and you didn't attack me it's another non sequitur. Ann Coulter was not the messenger; you were. She was just your tool.

Are you suggesting that Coulter is in error?
Could you prove that?

After all, she is a scholar.

ooooh, a scholar! Yeah, aren't we all. By the way in her case 'scholar' spelled g-a-d-f-l-y. But whether she's in error or not is a moot point, because it's off the topic. That's why I snipped the rest of your quote -- equally irrelevant.

I guess I should break the news that that quote from Phallaciouses Canardementius was a fabricated sarcasm to represent what's attempted here. To go alllll the way back to the beginning, neither Bob Costas, nor Jason Whitlock (nor I) said a single word about gun laws, gun control, or "taking anything away". So all these side trips down the rhetorical alleys of shooting down your own strawmen are just that. Irrelevant side trips to avoid going where the national dialogue needs to go.

While the fallaciers are playing cops and robbers games down those alleys looking for boogeymen of their own creation, I'm back in the car with Bob Costas, waiting, occasionally honking the horn to say "let's go". We have Phallaciouses Canardementius in the back seat, laughing his ass off. I think H.L. Mencken is back there too. If we can't go anywhere we might as well enjoy the non-ride.

So, you are up in arms because Costas embarked on a rant that condemned guns and gun ownership….but didn’t actually use the exact words?

You’re a pretty sharp possum….

Did you study Shakespeare in possum school?

This speech:

“Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest -
For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men -
Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man.
He hath brought many captives home to Rome
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Caesar seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man.”

Heck….I guess you possums think Antony was condemning Caesar, and praising Brutus, huh?

I’m thinking, that’s why possums don’t rule the world.

Last edited:
Ann Coulter as a basis. The barrel would seem to be bottomless.

Once again, introducing oranges (laws) into a discussion about apples (social attitudes) is just continuing the same non sequitur. So no three cheers for you.

"When you can't win the argument, redefine what the argument is" -- ancient philosopher Phallaciouses Canardementia

^ that. Too bad, so sad Poli Chic. :eusa_boohoo: Maybe in the future you won't put 30 minutes of cuttin 'n pasting into each of your OP's. Where you go to school anyway?

I'm sensin' jealousy here.

Now, Dotty.....if you need a shoulder to cry on, pull over to the side of the road.

So, you are up in arms because Costas embarked on a rant that condemned guns and gun ownership….but didn’t actually use the exact words?

This is the problem -- when you comment on someone's commentary, you kind of have to use their exact words; you don't get to make your own up and declare "well he really meant this". Once again, editorial columns and TV commentaries are scripted and wordsmithed; if either one meant to discuss gun control, it would have been in there and deliberate. The fact that it is not there is equally deliberate. You can rewrite your own words. You can't rewrite somebody else's.

I'm actually the one who's not up in arms in a thread that is based on a complete strawman fallacy, quoting a bullet list of points rebutting claims nobody ever made with a link from Fox News. Meanwhile the fact that I put my own link dissecting why this is a strawman fallacy --also from Fox News -- seems to have evaded you.

Whew, :lalala: dodged a bullet there huh?

Last edited:
Costas really should just shut up. It was too funny when he continued to dig a larger hole for himself when he lamented that he Bob Costas gave the audience too much credit to be able to embrace his brilliance. YOWZAH!!!

:lol:

Direct quote from Costas. There is no wiggle room here.

The possible connection between football and this particular tragedy. We know that football is connected, and it’s effects are connected to other situations. We don’t know yet whether it’s connected to Belcher, but that’s certainly a question that could be asked. The easy availability of guns is another..

Bob Costas: The timing of my gun comments was a mistake, but… « Hot Air

This is the problem -- when you comment on someone's commentary, you kind of have to use their exact words; you don't get to make your own up and declare "well he really meant this". Once again, editorial columns and TV commentaries are scripted and wordsmithed; if either one meant to discuss gun control, it would have been in there and deliberate. The fact that it is not there is equally deliberate. You can rewrite your own words. You can't rewrite somebody else's.

I'm actually the one who's not up in arms in a thread that is based on a complete strawman fallacy, quoting a bullet list of points rebutting claims nobody ever made with a link from Fox News. Meanwhile the fact that I put my own link dissecting why this is a strawman fallacy --also from Fox News -- seems to have evaded you.

Whew, :lalala: dodged a bullet there huh?

Now...don't be afraid to answer the question, little fella'....

...'cause an honest answer will disabuse your premise....

In the passage that I've given, was Antony condemning Caesar, and praising Brutus, huh?

You might like to consider this while you're mulling it over...

'By the way, classy move putting it all on Whitlock. As I recall, Costas introduced the quote by saying Whitlock summed things up about as well as they could be summed up, lending the extended quote an explicit endorsement. Until he started taking heat. Then? Scapegoat nation!
In his 90-second on-air comments Sunday that have drawn criticism in cyberspace, Costas discussed Kansas City Chief linebacker Jovan Belcher shooting girlfriend Kasandra Perkins and then committing suicide with a gun. Costas’ conclusion: “If Jovan Belcher didn’t possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.”'
Bob Costas’ anti-gun rant, the fallout | protein wisdom

So....while you claim he never said (meant) to blame guns, and gun ownership....Costas simply admits the context, but blames Whitlock for saying it......so, who picked the Whitlock quotes...and why?

Looks pretty much like, rather than taking your oblique attempt to deflect, he chose a different route, eh?

Kind of shoots you out of the water....pun intended.

Costas really should just shut up. It was too funny when he continued to dig a larger hole for himself when he lamented that he Bob Costas gave the audience too much credit to be able to embrace his brilliance. YOWZAH!!!

Judging from this thread and the billions of others just like it generated by the right-wing dumbdown machine, he was exactly right. Not that it's any particular "brilliance", just nuance.

Hey, I tackled this originally in a Fox Sports thread. Imagine the degree of knuckledrag logic there -- I was I'd say a minority of about maybe five percent. That was the day after SNF though, so maybe some degree of awareness of what words actually mean has since seeped in.

I dunno, I don't claim to understand the echo chamber. I just pop the bubbles.

Oh H.L. Mencken in the back seat says, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public". Poor H. Nobody listened to him either.

A correction: I need to apologize for originally misspelling the name of Phallaciouses Canardementius as "Canardementia". Canardementia of course is his wife - Canardementia Buttocks.

Direct quote from Costas. There is no wiggle room here.

The possible connection between football and this particular tragedy. We know that football is connected, and it’s effects are connected to other situations. We don’t know yet whether it’s connected to Belcher, but that’s certainly a question that could be asked. The easy availability of guns is another..

Bob Costas: The timing of my gun comments was a mistake, but… « Hot Air

Dispositive.

What I find puzzling is not how incorrect the possum could is....that is clear....but why he is defending what Costas isn't willing to defend, himself.
Costas simply blames Whitlock.

As for Dotty...well, he's just loony.

Judging from this thread and the billions of others just like it generated by the right-wing dumbdown machine, he was exactly right. Not that it's any particular "brilliance", just nuance.

Hey, I tackled this originally in a Fox Sports thread. Imagine the degree of knuckledrag logic there -- I was I'd say a minority of about maybe five percent. That was the day after SNF though, so maybe some degree of awareness of what words actually mean has since seeped in.

I dunno, I don't claim to understand the echo chamber. I just pop the bubbles.

Oh H.L. Mencken in the back seat says, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public". Poor H. Nobody listened to him either.

A correction: I need to apologize for originally misspelling the name of Phallaciouses Canardementius as "Canardementia". Canardementia of course is his wife - Canardementia Buttocks.

This is pretty much the default once a Lefty loses an argument: "...the right-wing dumbdown machine..."

Calm down, possum....won't be the last argument you lose.
Six out of seven dwarfs are not happy, either.

Incredible. Busted for the original strawman, what does he do? Doubles down with another one :lmao: with yet another quote Bob Costas never said.

Btw your link told me basically all the same stuff my Bill O'Reilly link would have told you if you had watched it. Mine was just more detailed.

Again, here's the thing about quotes: if they're real, you can cut and paste them. And I know you know how that works. When you can't find one to cut and paste, the reason is that it does not exist. QED.

This is pretty much the default once a Lefty loses an argument: "...the right-wing dumbdown machine..."

I stand corrected if I erroneously implied you required outside help to navigate to Dumbdownistan.

Credit where credit is due; you got there on your own. Happy?

Incredible. Busted for the original strawman, what does he do? Doubles down with another one :lmao: with yet another quote Bob Costas never said.

Btw your link told me basically all the same stuff my Bill O'Reilly link would have told you if you had watched it. Mine was just more detailed.

Again, here's the thing about quotes: if they're real, you can cut and paste them. And I know you know how that works. When you can't find one to cut and paste, the reason is that it does not exist. QED.

In the passage that I've given, was Antony condemning Caesar, and praising Brutus, huh?

Gettin' to be obvious why you're avoiding answering same.

Because it's .... all together now...

:offtopic:

Reminder: your topic is appending strawman arguments to a football TV show commentary. Hard to get to Shakespeare from there. Unless your name is Phallaciouses Canardementius.

I stand corrected if I erroneously implied you required outside help to navigate to Dumbdownistan.

Credit where credit is due; you got there on your own. Happy?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uOi7If0zW9s]Bob Costas on Gun Control following Jovan Belcher tragedy Sunday Night Half-Time Show Tribute - YouTube[/ame]

At :44, Costas: "Today, Jason Whitlock said it so well...".(that's 44 seconds, not .44 caliber)

At 1:09 'handguns do not enhance our safety, they exacerbate our flaws (then goes on to explain how they encourage shooting)'

So....ready to give it up?

Did I just burst your bubble?

Because it's .... all together now...

:offtopic:

Reminder: your topic is appending strawman arguments to a football TV show commentary. Hard to get to Shakespeare from there. Unless your name is Phallaciouses Canardementius.

Relax, possum...by not answering, you've answered.
In fact....that makes the point about Costas saying by not saying.

Forum List

Back