Looking for NEW SUV/Crossover

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
My wife and I are looking at replacing our current 2008 Chevy HHR with something new. While we love the HHR, it's lack of 4WD is becoming an issue with the location of our new house

I'm hoping to get some insight and advice from the posters about what I should and shouldn't be looking at. Here's what we're looking for:

1. An American vehicle. Preferably both an American Company AND American assembly/parts as much as possible.

2. A small to mid-sized SUV or Crossover vehicle with 4WD in the $25-30K range. Will not be used off-road or for towing.

3. Capability over Luxury. Heated side mirrors are preferable to heated seats. Roof rack is preferred to a sun roof.

4. Gas mileage is more important than power but it has to have enough engine to get out of its own way.

So far, we're just doing research. Won't be buying until probably April. Any constructuve input is greatly appreciated. Please don't suggest vehicles from foreign companies, regardless of where their cars are assembled. They are not being considered.

My wife and I are looking at replacing our current 2008 Chevy HHR with something new. While we love the HHR, it's lack of 4WD is becoming an issue with the location of our new house

I'm hoping to get some insight and advice from the posters about what I should and shouldn't be looking at. Here's what we're looking for:

1. An American vehicle. Preferably both an American Company AND American assembly/parts as much as possible.

2. A small to mid-sized SUV or Crossover vehicle with 4WD in the $25-30K range. Will not be used off-road or for towing.

3. Capability over Luxury. Heated side mirrors are preferable to heated seats. Roof rack is preferred to a sun roof.

4. Gas mileage is more important than power but it has to have enough engine to get out of its own way.

So far, we're just doing research. Won't be buying until probably April. Any constructuve input is greatly appreciated. Please don't suggest vehicles from foreign companies, regardless of where their cars are assembled. They are not being considered.
5f9da9942924da877e46af2ebc6f715c.jpg

Ford Edge or Escape. Get AWD. All cars are adding so many bells and whistles (electronics) it will be a shock to your system. Bring Ro-Laids.

You're too old to need many seats. skip Explorer w/7 seats.

Eco-Boost motor had plenty of power. Better MPG.

Ford Edge or Escape. Get AWD. All cars are adding so many bells and whistles (electronics) it will be a shock to your system. Bring Ro-Laids.

My mom bought an Escape back in August. It's definitely on the list. The Edge might be bigger than we need but it's on the list also. The Explorer is not even in consideration- too big and too expensive.

Depending on available packages, I might end up having to order a vehicle to get what I want.

Thanks for the input.

I don't know about that assembly stuff they tell you? They might say 70% American Parts, assembled in Ohio or Kansas City or something like that. Now you got me looking around!

These vehicles are made in the United States or Canada by members of the UAW and Canada’s Unifor union, formerly the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW). Because of the integration of United States and Canadian vehicle production, all the vehicles listed made in Canada include significant UAW-made content and support the jobs of UAW members.

However, those marked with an asterisk (*) are produced in the United States and another country. The Chevrolet Cruze and Sonic are manufactured in the United States and Mexico. All Cruze hatchbacks and some sedans are manufactured in Mexico. The diesel version is manufactured in the United States by UAW members. The light-duty, 1500 model versions of the vehicles marked with a double asterisk (**) are manufactured in the United States and Mexico. When purchasing one of these trucks, check the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). A VIN beginning with “1” or “4” or “5” identifies a U.S.-made vehicle; “2” identifies a Canadian-made vehicle.

Not all vehicles made in the United States or Canada are built by union-represented workers. Vehicles not listed here, even if produced in the United States or Canada, are not union made.

2017 UAW Built Vehicles List | UAW
UAW SUVS/CUVS (USA)

Buick Enclave

Cadillac Escalade

Cadillac Escalade ESV

Cadillac Escalade Hybrid

Cadillac XT5

Chevrolet Suburban

Chevrolet Tahoe

Chevrolet Tahoe (police)

Chevrolet Tahoe (special service)

Chevrolet Traverse

Dodge Durango

Ford Escape

Ford Expedition

Ford Explorer

GMC Acadia

GMC Yukon

GMC Yukon Hybrid

GMC Yukon XL

Jeep Cherokee

Jeep Compass

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Patriot

Jeep Wrangler

Lincoln MKC

Lincoln Navigator

UAW VANS (USA)

Chevrolet Express

Ford Transit

GMC Savana

UAW SPECIALTY VEHICLES (USA)

American General MV-1 (for disabled drivers)

UNIFOR CARS (Canada)

Buick Regal

Cadillac XTS

Chevrolet Impala

Chevrolet Impala (police)

Chrysler 300

Dodge Challenger

Dodge Charger

UNIFOR SUVS/CUVS (Canada)

Chevrolet Equinox

Ford Edge

Ford Flex

GMC Terrain

Lincoln MKT

Lincoln MKX

UNIFOR VANS (Canada)

Chrysler Pacifica

Dodge Grand Caravan

My mom bought an Escape back in August. It's definitely on the list. The Edge might be bigger than we need but it's on the list also. The Explorer is not even in consideration- too big and too expensive.

Depending on available packages, I might end up having to order a vehicle to get what I want.

Thanks for the input.
Just happened to hear the Buick marketing director in a radio interview this morning. Had a lot to say about the success of their SUVs, a market they just entered four years ago that are selling very well, and all all-wheel drive. Since they were late to the SUV game he claims they researched the market quite a bit to come up with various things the more established competitors didn't offer and thus is part of their success to date. One was they introduced the smallest SUV on the market, but other models are larger. All sounded pretty good but then he is the marketing guy so he's certainly not going to be ripping his own products.

Went out with my wife today to start doing in-person research.

The salesman at the Jeep dealer was spectacular. He understood where we are in the process. We test drove a Patriot and a Cherokee (with the True North package). He provided all the info we were looking for with zero pressure.

I can't say the same for the Chevrolet/Buick dealer we stopped at. Since the Trax is their compact SUV, he didn't even want to show us the Equinox. Though he did want to sell me the higher priced Buick equivalent when he found out I get GM employee pricing through my employer. Hard sell even after being told we were not buying anything until at least March or April.

Never made it to the Ford dealer today as the Chevy guy just passed us both off.

Personal preference toward Grand Cherroke while my gal has a Cherroke. Inclement weather? Pffffft. I actually like driving in the snow.

Personal preference toward Grand Cherroke while my gal has a Cherroke. Inclement weather? Pffffft. I actually like driving in the snow.

Grand Cherokee is not in the price range that we're looking at. Cherokee "True North" edition. Very nice. Pretty much loaded and still inside the upper end of our price range.

If you were happy with the HHR then what you choose doesn't really matter. Anything you guy (now that Chrysler is no longer peddling the PT Cruiser) will be infinitely better than what you had. Beward the more recent Ford Escapes - no longer on a truck chassis....on a sedan chassis with not much to recommend it on rough terrain.

If you were happy with the HHR then what you choose doesn't really matter. Anything you guy (now that Chrysler is no longer peddling the PT Cruiser) will be infinitely better than what you had. Beward the more recent Ford Escapes - no longer on a truck chassis....on a sedan chassis with not much to recommend it on rough terrain.

I love my HHR. If they still offered it, and it had AWD/4WD I'd buy another one in an instant. I don't care for the look of the Trax, and apparently their salesmen don't want to show me the Equinox.

Rough terrain isn't an issue unless you consider dodging New England potholes to be off-roading. I need the AWD/4WD for travel I'm snow, since I can't normally call out of work in bad weather.

I love my HHR. If they still offered it, and it had AWD/4WD I'd buy another one in an instant. I don't care for the look of the Trax, and apparently their salesmen don't want to show me the Equinox.

Rough terrain isn't an issue unless you consider dodging New England potholes to be off-roading. I need the AWD/4WD for travel I'm snow, since I can't normally call out of work in bad weather.

The experience that put me off the HHR forever was having had a rental for a trip that started in Boston and went south by various expressways. In decent weather. Best single word description: "Skittish". Especially with a light rain and a gentle breee.

As to the AWD/4WD, agreed that it's good for snow - which is why I keep a 2012 Escape. But before considering any Escape much newer than that do a little research of the sad term: "High centered". If you do end up with one - and I do like Ford products far better than those of "Government Motors", go for the tallest tire option. Dunno if they still do but they used to offer up to about 17" for not all that many bucks more. Beware the lowest-priced mini-donuts unless you really like having to get out and dig snow out from under.

An aside on the PT Cruiser....a long-time friend came into some money and his wife really wanted one of those stylish little critters. I tried to dissuade him but he wouldn't listen. They had it a week when, on their first long distance trip, he lost it on a curve and died. She lived but, for some reason, didn't replace the Cruiser with another one. Fickle women......

Chrysler has not been an American company in 20 years.

Ford Escape.

The Escape was NEVER on any sort of truck chassis.

Forum List

Back