looking for a list of books.... (homeschoolers?)

Discussion in 'Education' started by blu, Jul 30, 2010.

1. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    I am looking for a list of books in any and all subjects that people have had their kids read or maybe that were in used in a home school curriculum. I have started a thread a bit like this before but those were just asking for one or two book suggestions.

I am hoping that someone that has home schooled or something similar would be gracious enough to upload or copy/paste the list of books they for courses

thanks in advance

2. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Here is a little physics for free.

Light and Matter: open-source physics textbooks

I wish someone had given me something like this when I was in 7th grade.

teach yourself electricity and electronics

Here is a very different approach to science education.

http://www.baen.com/chapters/borders_i.htm

Another list I found because of Citizen of the Galaxy.

How the World Works---A Reading List

Project Gutenberg has lots of free science fiction from the 50s and 60s but most of it is not very good. Modern science fiction is often not as scientific as that old stuff though. Is there any science in Star Wars?

http://alldaysci-fi.cerizmo.com/

psik

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  3. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,852
    There is a classic old set of books called "My Bookhouse" edited by Olive Beaupre Miller that are popular for teaching kids to read. The first volume consists of nursery rhymes and stories suitable for a new reader. Subsequent volumes are more challenging. My Dad had an older 6 volume set when he was a boy - which my siblings and I loved when we were kids.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/My-Book-House-Volumes-1-12/dp/9990409455/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280522737&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: My Book House, Volumes 1-12 (9789990409451): Olive Beaupre Miller: Books[/ame]

4. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,053
    I think the PBS "John Adams" Series would be fine

a chapter or two from Machiavelli's "The Prince"

5. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,303
    I think home schooling (in the modern world) is anti human, anti social, and anti democratic, but that said here is an interesting list (below). One thing you'll find with children is they have short attention spans - dependent on age of course. This morning I read almost all the stories in the following (not PC) book to my granddaughter, she actually sat still and listened.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Yummy-Eight-Favorite-Fairy-Tales/dp/B003NHR5XM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: Yummy: Eight Favorite Fairy Tales: Lucy Cousins: Books[/ame]

If the goal is to protect the child from reality then I am not sure what books are useful, but this is a good list and I have read some to our children and grandchildren, who are perfect like their parents. ;)

100 Best Books

'Books for All Ages'

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
    Where the Sidewalk Ends: the Poems and Drawing of Shel Silverstein by Shel Silverstein
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
    The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
    Heidi by Johanna Spyri

Books for Preschoolers - More Preschool Titles from TeachersFirst / TeachersAndFamilies

more:

infant babies - brain development - learning
    Michael Merzenich on re-wiring the brain | Video on TED.com

Excellent - mind brain - pathways in the brain - worth a listen and related to babies and intelligence and thinking.
    VS Ramachandran on your mind | Video on TED.com

critics

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Amusing-Ourselves-Death-Discourse-Business/dp/014303653X/ref=pd_sim_b_2]Amazon.com: Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business (9780143036531): Neil Postman…[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Flat-World-Education-Commitment-Multicultural/dp/0807749621/ref=cm_cr-mr-title]Amazon.com: The Flat World and Education: How America's Commitment to Equity Will Determine Our Future (Multicultural Education) (9780807749623): Linda Darling-Hammond: Books[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/TEACHER-AMERICA-JACQUES-BARZUN/dp/0913966797/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: TEACHER IN AMERICA (9780913966792): JACQUES BARZUN: Books[/ame]

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Grade and subject matter?

Pretty hard to just spew out good books without knowing for whom, know what I mean?

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    And I think you are willfully ignorant about homeschooling in the modern world.

Barilla - FamilyEducation.com

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Your best bet to get them interested in reading is to turn them loose. Comic books are a good place to start with children of any age, and then figure out what genre/subject they are interested in.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,852
    Reading out loud to them is even better - especially a book that will cause them to aspire to be able to read it on their own.

10. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Later on, when the time comes to teach them Geometry and Calculus if you're still homeschooling you should check out Geobegra and Wolfram Alpha. Both are online math resources that can be very useful for teaching math concepts. Geogebra has a wiki chock full of worksheets and java apps that illustrates things like Slopes of Lines, Distance, measurements, etc. That can be useful even for middle school math.