Cyber Bullying in School

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Jul 30, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Chicago Public Schools crackdown on cyberbullies :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Education

Think it will hold up?

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    what is stalking with kids? kids are mean....just plain mean....computers and phones are just another avenue for them to be mean. schools shouldnt be monitoring the acitivies of kids outside of school..that is for the parent to do

3. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    however, it is a timely topic that needs to be discussed...you have kids committing suicide due to cyber postings

4. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    That's just it hellbitch. I monitor my kids facebook pages (which tick me off BTW) but I have never once looked at their phones. I imagine most parents haven't.

Teachers and administrators won't be doing it either. But if a child or parent comes forward with proof, then I guess the school will have to investigate.

Brand new territory. I can see the ambulance chasers drooling as we speak.

5. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    my kid was before the facebook and all....and i did look at his cellphone...cause of much friction...i dont see how you can let kids have cells and not monitor them...sextexting and sending semi nudes photos is a big thing with kids...i would worry more about the cell than the computer...

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Let me think about that one. My kids are 17 and 20 and to be honest I don't know what I'd be looking for. I guess if they gave me a reason to distrust them...

Their facebook pages are full of profanity. And they are friends with my mom and some of their teachers. The older one has joined some pretty controversial groups just to troll and stir up shit. I've asked him to get those off of there.

I've never worried about bullying with my kids, but I have friends with daughters who have been victims. Yes - mean girls are getting meaner.

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    It's a mean-assed society.

Why are we surprised that our kids are mean to each other?

8. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    I also think its a problem of most parents/teachers/principals being old and not in tune with the latest technology/websites. if you handed the average parent a phone and said 'here check if your kids are threating people via phone' they would have no idea what to even do with it.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The school board can pass all the 'codes of conduct' they like, none of which by virtue of such makes them law. The school may suspend, but I do wonder about their playing Joe detective, hell in Chicago many can't even help the kids learn to read.

Parents need to control their kids and help their kids deal with social bullies.

If I found my kid hurting another, they'd lose the puter and cell phones.

10. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Another great chanel thread:clap2:

I swear to gawd I'd probably not even log into the internets if it wasn't for chanel:tongue:

A. I cannot believe you monitor a 17 and 20 year olds' facebook.

B. Facebook, etc., are ways people, including teens, express themselves. It shouldn't be the ONLY way. If it was up to me, my 14 & 16 yo houseapes would be outside, knocking on doors, making money mowing lawns all summer without any time to lounge around on facebook

C. Bullies will bully with or without facebook, and those susceptable to being bullied will react.

D. Parents need to teach kids how to react appropriately: Tell the school, document the bullying, and ignore it. Yeah, I know, this might not work: My plan B is to become a bigger monster to the bully's parents than they can stand.

I can be pretty awful.:redface:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1