Long live the F/A -18

1-scarface-quotes.gif

illbeback.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_lj0qe906g11qb0bobo1_r1_500.gif

Welcome to the USMB Shadow, sadly, I know very little about the subject.

The FA-18 is a beautiful aircraft. Not only does it have good lines, but it flies very well. I know, because I was stationed with an FA-18 outfit called the Wildcats, and because of where I worked, I was given the chance once in a while to fly the simulators.

My favorite one was the dome. It had a mockup of an FA-18 from the LEX forward and a full cockpit inside of a big sphere.

The graphics were amazing, and I learned a lot about the flight characteristics of the Hornet.

Based on what I'd learned there, even though I never had the opportunity to fly a simulator of the A-10 Warthog, I watched many films of them flying and doing what they do best....................destroying the enemy.

I mean, you really gotta respect an aircraft that was built around a Gatling gun, as well as respect the fact that it has one of the highest survivability rates going.

Sorry, but being able to survive is sexy.

Both the A-10 and FA-18 are beautiful aircraft. Hell, I'd say that the A-10 is better looking than the FA-18.

If you wanna talk about helos, look no farther than the Apache Longbow.

Eventually, the future belings to those who can make the most advanced UAV's, and have the best UAV pilots and systems. A new era has begun.

o-MILITARY-DRONE-facebook.jpg

RAF-Reaper-unmanned-drone-014.jpg

cljygow2g4x46lp7yo8x.jpg

rtxzx93n.si_.jpg

article-2350490-1A8BD303000005DC-700_634x314.jpg

drone-2-680x365.jpg

large1.jpg

DSG.jpg

The FA-18 does lots of things, but isn't particularly good at any of them. It replaces two planes in the carrier air wing, the F-14 and A-6. It doesn't have the range or speed of the F-14, nor does it have the attack capabilities of the A-6. The Navy would have been better served by going with the "Super Tomcat", IMHO. As a former Tomcat tweaker, I am probably biased though.

The FA-18 does lots of things, but isn't particularly good at any of them. It replaces two planes in the carrier air wing, the F-14 and A-6. It doesn't have the range or speed of the F-14, nor does it have the attack capabilities of the A-6. The Navy would have been better served by going with the "Super Tomcat", IMHO. As a former Tomcat tweaker, I am probably biased though.

I believe the reason the F-14 was retired was that the older versions (not the D) were getting too long on the tooth. And the Navy had to make a decision on new aircraft. At the time, the new versio (the D) cost as much as 3 F-18E/Fs in purchase and upkeep. Plus, they could have more F-18s onboard than F-14s.

I am a huge fan of the F-14 but they ended up costing way too much when the budget couldn't afford them anymore. Yes, the F-14 was more capable and could have been upgraded like the F-15E was from the C but the cost was just too high. Even the AF stopped buying F-15s but purchased a whole lot of F-16s.

In todays world (the world of the S-300/400) the only navy bird is the G model. I predict the day of the E/F is pretty well past and replacement AC are needed badly. The AF has the same problem with their F-15/16. The G is about the dirtiest jammer on the planet and forces everyone to go passive. In the Passive world, the F-22/35 rules supreme.

It's gotten so bad in Syria, the Marines are wanting to deploy their F-35Bs so that it can be flown over Syria like the F-22 does. I predict that the F-35B will be there in a matter of weeks like the Marine Generals want. I don't see any other way. What good is a whole carrier full of fighters that can't enter the hot areas without fear of being shot down. I knew this day was coming.

In this world, the F-14 no matter the configuration, would have been just as bad off. In a S-300/400 world, the F-14 would have a huge "Shoot Me" sign on it's side.

Very soon we're going to have pilots sitting behind a computer screen in the US or on an an aircraft carrier, maneuvering aircraft that will blow anything we have now out of the water. The reason is very simple, no human being can withstand the G forces that these unmanned drones will be capable of, and the pilot can remotely do anything the manned aircraft can do and more, since he will have more resources, space, etc. at his disposal.

Very soon we're going to have pilots sitting behind a computer screen in the US or on an an aircraft carrier, maneuvering aircraft that will blow anything we have now out of the water. The reason is very simple, no human being can withstand the G forces that these unmanned drones will be capable of, and the pilot can remotely do anything the manned aircraft can do and more, since he will have more resources, space, etc. at his disposal.

Sound very good. In fact, too good. The problem with any human controlled drone is that they can be jammed. We are still a long time from having sentient drones.

Sound very good. In fact, too good. The problem with any human controlled drone is that they can be jammed. We are still a long time from having sentient drones.

If they can control a probe in Mars they can do the same with a mi'itary drone remotely. Jamming won't be an issue either, as they have overcome the jamming susceptibility of today's manned aircraft.

If they can control a probe in Mars they can do the same with a mi'itary drone remotely. Jamming won't be an issue either, as they have overcome the jamming susceptibility of today's manned aircraft.

Now, put a bunch of Martians shooting at the probe. Both are scifi.

F-35 Rising: The Pentagon's Biggest Weapon Program Made Major Progress In 2015

I amso IR states; I post this article from FORBES Magazine which released the article today, Dec 21, 2015. It is for all of the "Nay" sayer's concerning the F35 JSF. The F35 is really real and is the fighter of the future. Bring on all deniers and read and weep. As for Russia and China, continue to march, you have a long way to do so. Too bad you don't have pockets deep enough. The United States has the best suite of aircraft in the world today with the F35, F22 and the Legacy fighters. And will soon be joined by the last of long range bombers, "Nay" sayer's be damned!

I amso IR states; I post this article from FORBES Magazine which released the article today, Dec 21, 2015. It is for all of the "Nay" sayer's concerning the F35 JSF. The F35 is really real and is the fighter of the future. Bring on all deniers and read and weep. As for Russia and China, continue to march, you have a long way to do so. Too bad you don't have pockets deep enough. The United States has the best suite of aircraft in the world today with the F35, F22 and the Legacy fighters. And will soon be joined by the last of long range bombers, "Nay" sayer's be damned!

Good points. The only F-18 that can't be replaced for a few years is the EF-18G Growler. And that is in the mix, just too soon. Even the AF has a detachment of EA-18Gs assigned to them. The Growler is a true jammer and can disrupt radar all across the board. But the F-35 is due to get that equipment at a later date.

If all that is true, then why does Paul Ryan keep screaming that Obama has decimated the military and that the GOP is the ones that will rebuild it?

If all that is true, then why does Paul Ryan keep screaming that Obama has decimated the military and that the GOP is the ones that will rebuild it?

If Obama were to completely get rid of Unemployment and Welfare, Ryan would froth at the mouth that Obama isn't supporting the Jobless. In reality, the Military was decimated during Bush Jrs time. It just got wore out equipment wise with not enough money to replace what was lost. Good or bad, this is what happens when you go to a full out War against another country. Ryan is just trying to use hate and misinformation to get elected Prez. Enough of this misinformation already.

I amso IR responds.
As important as the F35 is, it is only a part of the military. Low manpower and and older equipment do more to damage the force than any other factor. Sequestering did most of the damage. That and it is an election year. The standard battle cry of Republicans/Democrats during a presidential election is always, "the other party gutted the military". I note you are a "sailor guy". Look at all the new boats the Navy is receiving. A carrier with one more on the way, new Destroyers named for "Zummie", and a sack full of shallow water boats. What more could the Navy want than new boats to play with?

I amso IR responds.
As important as the F35 is, it is only a part of the military. Low manpower and and older equipment do more to damage the force than any other factor. Sequestering did most of the damage. That and it is an election year. The standard battle cry of Republicans/Democrats during a presidential election is always, "the other party gutted the military". I note you are a "sailor guy". Look at all the new boats the Navy is receiving. A carrier with one more on the way, new Destroyers named for "Zummie", and a sack full of shallow water boats. What more could the Navy want than new boats to play with?

Exactly my point. If the military is getting all these new goodies, why is the GOP saying that Obama has decimated the military?

I amso IR responds.

Exactly my point. If the military is getting all these new goodies, why is the GOP saying that Obama has decimated the military?

If it weren't an election year, he probably wouldn't be. If he weren't running for Prez, he probably wouldn't be. If he weren't trying to spread hate and disinformation he wouldn't be. If he was worth a crap he would be. Nuff said.

Forum List

Back