Lockheed Martin Now Has a Patent For Its Potentially World Changing Fusion Reactor

Until they have a fusion reactor up and running, let us continue to develop wind and solar. Both are now cheaper than even dirty coal by kilowatt produced. And solar has the advantage of being able to use it in very small applications as easily as in mega-watt installations.

Except at night, and when there is no wind, and when it rains, or there is too much wind, or during the winter in certain parts of the country....

For solar, even when it's overcast, you will get an 80% supply. In the rain, it might drop to 50%. By adding batteries you can charge the batteries during the peak sun times and use the batteries when the sun is not out.

Do you have a link for 80% in overcast conditions and 50% in the rain?

Until they have a fusion reactor up and running, let us continue to develop wind and solar. Both are now cheaper than even dirty coal by kilowatt produced. And solar has the advantage of being able to use it in very small applications as easily as in mega-watt installations.

Except at night, and when there is no wind, and when it rains, or there is too much wind, or during the winter in certain parts of the country....

For solar, even when it's overcast, you will get an 80% supply. In the rain, it might drop to 50%. By adding batteries you can charge the batteries during the peak sun times and use the batteries when the sun is not out.

I don't need it. I deal in solar and electric power. It's from my own experience. Solar uses rays that are beyond our sight as well. Pretty much, if there is any light at all, solar will use it. If it's 80% across the board on all waves then you get 80%. If it's raining, even the rain will refract light. Just not as much as either a cloudy day or a clear day.

But since you can't seem to find google yourself, here is a couple of cites
Will My Solar Panels Work When It’s Cloudy or Rainy? | Direct Energy Solar

Do Solar Panels Work at Night or On Cloudy Days? | EnergySage

I don't need it. I deal in solar and electric power. It's from my own experience. Solar uses rays that are beyond our sight as well. Pretty much, if there is any light at all, solar will use it. If it's 80% across the board on all waves then you get 80%. If it's raining, even the rain will refract light. Just not as much as either a cloudy day or a clear day.

From what I read you only get 10%-25% efficiency when it's cloudy. Your 2nd link also only says 10-25%, so why are you going on about 80%?

Do solar panels work in cloudy weather?

From what I read you only get 10%-25% efficiency when it's cloudy. Your 2nd link also only says 10-25%, so why are you going on about 80%?

The link says a 10 to 25% decrease. That would be a total of 75 to 90% total. The old Solar Panels were like you say. But the new ones are tuned more to accept to operate more efficiently. On a Bike (trike) on a cloudy day, you can still get 8 amps out of the 12 on a cloudy day. Meaning, wihtout battery, you can do about 8 mph versus 12 mph. That doesn't sound real impressive but during a continous operation, that's still quite a range. Now, add a 50AH battery and you have a 20 mph bike with unlimited range with about a 4 hour night time operating range. Trust me, spend 12 hours on that rig and your ass is flat. but you will have gone more than 200 miles.

Last edited:
The link says a 10 to 25% decrease. That would be a total of 75 to 90% total. Read it again.

Actually the first paragraph says " But, do solar panels work in cloudy weather? Yes… just not quite as wellOn a cloudy day, typical solar panels can produce 10-25% of their rated capacity."

>>>>

The link says a 10 to 25% decrease. That would be a total of 75 to 90% total. The old Solar Panels were like you say. But the new ones are tuned more to accept to operate more efficiently. On a Bike (trike) on a cloudy day, you can still get 8 amps out of the 12 on a cloudy day. Meaning, wihtout battery, you can do about 8 mph versus 12 mph. That doesn't sound real impressive but during a continous operation, that's still quite a range. Now, add a 50AH battery and you have a 20 mph bike with unlimited range with about a 4 hour night time operating range. Trust me, spend 12 hours on that rig and your ass is flat. but you will have gone more than 200 miles.

No, the link says you get 10-25% efficiency.

On a cloudy day, typical solar panels can produce 10-25% of their rated capacity.

So if you can usually get 100 watts out of a cell, you only get 10-25 on a cloudy or rainy day.

You have a link for these 75% efficient on a cloudy day cells?

And that is why you buy Powerwall batteries from Tesla.

Which won't give you power for more than a day. Storms tend to last a lot longer than that. I have a solar system and have had for almost thirty years now. What is sad is the cheap systems out there will basically do as good as my thirty year old system. That's pathetic. If I'm willing to spend another 35K or so, I can get a system that is advertised at twice the efficiency of my system as it currently sits. But, I live in the mountains with lots of storms so no, your powerwall is not the solution you think it is.

My primary system for year round power is a water wheel in my creek. We get enough power to run the lights and the refrigerator. THAT is the best system I have other than the Grid, and by a long way.

Which won't give you power for more than a day. Storms tend to last a lot longer than that. I have a solar system and have had for almost thirty years now. What is sad is the cheap systems out there will basically do as good as my thirty year old system. That's pathetic. If I'm willing to spend another 35K or so, I can get a system that is advertised at twice the efficiency of my system as it currently sits. But, I live in the mountains with lots of storms so no, your powerwall is not the solution you think it is.

My primary system for year round power is a water wheel in my creek. We get enough power to run the lights and the refrigerator. THAT is the best system I have other than the Grid, and by a long way.

How old is your water wheel? They have also been making strides in small personal water flow turbines for power generation.

How old is your water wheel? They have also been making strides in small personal water flow turbines for power generation.

It's now 26 years old. I built it myself, except for the dynamo.

Interesting. This is a link to what's out today. (or at least in 2012)

Company unveils small personal-sized hydroelectricity generator

Almost all of our electric power around here is hydro electric power. It used to be oil and then Natural Gas but in the late 60s and early 70s the Dam Systems on the Black Canyon was finished and it had enough power to not only power everything along the various towns and cities but enough to export at a profit. The Air got a lot cleaner and the power cost went down.

You care lucky to have a stream you can use. Hydro Electric Power is the way to go whenever you can. It's cheap and extremely efficient. I wonder why more Rocky Mountain Towns don't go that route instead of fighting to keep their coal burning power plants since they have rivers and streams all around them.

No, the link says you get 10-25% efficiency.

On a cloudy day, typical solar panels can produce 10-25% of their rated capacity.

So if you can usually get 100 watts out of a cell, you only get 10-25 on a cloudy or rainy day.

You have a link for these 75% efficient on a cloudy day cells?

It all depends on how old the system is. Like Westwall's system, being 30 years old, it's not going to be real efficient. But the brand new stuff can run on the other light waves other than white light just fine. Light goes from Microwave to higher frequency light we can't see. There are more types of light that we can't see than we can see. Building a system to utilize the full spectrum means that when the white light isn't there as much, the others can pick up the slack. And that is where we are today. Yes, it's expensive but the cost is coming down as production comes up.

Almost all of our electric power around here is hydro electric power. It used to be oil and then Natural Gas but in the late 60s and early 70s the Dam Systems on the Black Canyon was finished and it had enough power to not only power everything along the various towns and cities but enough to export at a profit. The Air got a lot cleaner and the power cost went down.

You care lucky to have a stream you can use. Hydro Electric Power is the way to go whenever you can. It's cheap and extremely efficient. I wonder why more Rocky Mountain Towns don't go that route instead of fighting to keep their coal burning power plants since they have rivers and streams all around them.

Because it costs money, that's why. The coal powered plants are already there, and for the most part are in far off remote places where they are not seen.

That's good for charging a cell phone or other small battery operated device, but you can't power a house with it. Scaled up though and it would be a different story.

That's good for charging a cell phone or other small battery operated device, but you can't power a house with it. Scaled up though and it would be a different story.

At 250 watts and 12 volts that 3000 amps. That pretty well takes care of your household electric energy including your fridge. The problem is, it's expensive costing about 7000 bucks a pop in 2012. I have a feeling that your home made one comes to that setting at a fraction of the cost.

Ultimately solar power is the final answer to all energy needs of the human race, but fusion is a close second if perfected as it doesn't produce harmful chemical like CO2 or Methane. How they may have solved the conundrum of getting more energy out of the reaction than goes in is the key question. The sun uses natural gravity to power its fusion reactions, to do it on Earth they'd have to reach temps of 100 million degrees. That takes a lot of energy which makes it so hard to get more out than you put in.

Only a profound idiot would claim solar is preferable to fusion power. What's better about, the fact that it's unrealiable, that it requires millions of acres of land, that it's useless in cold climates? Your subsequent discussion of fusion only confirms that you're a dumbass.

Ultimately solar power is the final answer to all energy needs of the human race, but fusion is a close second if perfected as it doesn't produce harmful chemical like CO2 or Methane. How they may have solved the conundrum of getting more energy out of the reaction than goes in is the key question. The sun uses natural gravity to power its fusion reactions, to do it on Earth they'd have to reach temps of 100 million degrees. That takes a lot of energy which makes it so hard to get more out than you put in.

What makes it possible is that it can be done fairly easily. What makes it dangerous is controlling it. Not being able to control it might make a runaway and you just might lose an entire county to the damage in an instant before it runs out of fuel. It appears that Lockheed thinks they have the control licked.

Imagine a nuclear fission power bomber without the nasty fallout and nasty rays. Something the size of the old B-36 comes to mind except modern.

There is no runaway problem, dork. The minute anything goes wrong, the reaction stops.

That's pretty cool! I want to be the first one to have a fusion-powered monster truck. Instead of "rollin' coal", I'll be "rollin' Deuterium plasma."

And you might be the first to get a nice fine for your rolling Deuterium plasma. Some moron decided to try and break up some protesters recently with this and ended up with a hefty fine with his black cloud.
Fine for what?

Little fuck finger, we have solar, and it is delivering power to many people as we post. How many people are powering their house on fusion power? For fifty years, fusion has been just around the corner. When it actually arrives, then talk to me about how good it is. Until then, hydro, solar, and wind are far more useful than promises.

Forum List

Back