Living full time on a cruise ship?

I prefer river cruises but ocean cruises are usually great. In fact, if you can't enjoy a cruise, there is something wrong with YOU (heavy weather aside).

But as for the OP, it would be possible, with a little planning, to live essentially full-time on formal, scheduled cruises, for much less than the numbers quoted above. To illustrate, the linked cruise, originating in Miami can be done in perpetuity, easily, for about a thousand dollars a week (per person, double).

I have actually met a couple who were taking cruise after cruise on the same ship for months at a time, as an alternative to living in a retirement community, the cost of which would typically be more than $10k per month for the two of them. They seldom left the ship, and did not seem disturbed by that lifestyle.

The only inconvenience is getting your laundry done at a reasonable cost. But being constantly pampered and over-fed? Not a problem.

Are you guys kidding?... cruising from island paradise to island paradise on a ship as big as a small city.... never make your bed again... or wash a glass... top chef's to prepare all of your meals and a gym to work it off...

I have heard of folks cruising long term. My avocation is being a musician and I know musicians that got a gig on a cruise ship. Wouldn't mind doing that for a cruise or two. I understand musicians are actually part of the crew.

Are you guys kidding?... cruising from island paradise to island paradise on a ship as big as a small city.... never make your bed again... or wash a glass... top chef's to prepare all of your meals and a gym to work it off...
Nope, you're dreaming. Ports of call are a cost. Fuel is a cost. The food will be hard tack and water. These ships would go to international waters and anchor out. The poor care you see in retirement homes and nursing homes would look like luxury. This type of ship would be a nightmare.

You use one when you drink water, so as you read that I will run and hide!

You know what Gracie I would do it because I said if I made enough money I would buy me a boat to live on and the wife and my adopted brother can have a cottage in Halifax, so why not live on a cruise ship if I had like hundred million dollars?
If I had that kind of money, I'd buy my own cruiser yacht. Or an island.

If I had that kind of money, I'd buy my own cruiser yacht. Or an island.

I looked at those also ( Private Island ) and some are cheap.

Nope, you're dreaming. Ports of call are a cost. Fuel is a cost. The food will be hard tack and water. These ships would go to international waters and anchor out. The poor care you see in retirement homes and nursing homes would look like luxury. This type of ship would be a nightmare.
Hard tack and water...lol

Everyone I have met who spent time on a cruise ship had nothing good to say about it.
I spent time on a cruise ship and it was very pleasant, when I didn't think it would be.

It was a Carnival Cruise out of Galveston. Four days to Cozumel and back. The excursion was canceled by I didn't care. Lots of coffee twenty-four seven, good (not great) food available all the time. Don't like the entre? They bring you another, all included. No driving, no Ubering, relax by the pool, slide on the fastest water slide I ever rode, stare at the ocean looking for dolphins and whales, do what you want. They even had poker.

My wife isn't clingy, but doesn't dodge me either, so she's the perfect traveling companion.

Later I took a one week cruise with three excursions, ziplining in Belize, Mayan pyramid climbing in Honduras, and a Mayan City inside of Mexico past Playa Del Carmen.

Those were the first vacations longer than a weekend, where I didn't feel like I needed a vacation to rest from the vacation.

Your results may vary . . .

Not for me.

It would be torture every day after day seeing the same people....(some who I don't like) the same faces.... omg....

no way Jose....noooo

also

once I went in a river cruise in Europe and I got so sick.....all these strange virus floating around.

Not for me. I'll pass this one.

So every car and person I pass I am the one out of ten… Just great!

Yeah, I love the Ocean and Texas beaches are not great!

I prefer the West Coast but I want to die in Canada in Halifax, so if I have to come back I hope I am reborn there!

The wife want me to die in the Philippines, but I am thinking that is where she want to kill me at and get away with the murder!!!

Yeah..
Ya gotta head south to find the best beaches in Texas.
We used to do a lot of camping on South Padre National Seashore.
Being able to drive on 65 miles of beach where only 4x4's can go is pretty cool and the fishing kicks ass!!

Yeah..
Ya gotta head south to find the best beaches in Texas.
We used to do a lot of camping on South Padre National Seashore.
Being able to drive on 65 miles of beach where only 4x4's can go is pretty cool and the fishing kicks ass!!
We lived in Corpus Christi in the late 50's and I remember dodging jellyfish while trying to collect sand dollars that washed ashore on Padre Island. Good memories.

Forum List

Back