Living full time on a cruise ship?

Living full time on a cruise ship?​

Fook Dat. Only a fool sails the deep ocean now in anything less than a large steel armed ocean vessel now that we know that the Kraken is real. :smoke:

See the source image

Aren't the beaches in Galveston pretty nice?

They can be if we dont get a lot of rain north of Galveston. Around ten years ago during a drought Galveston had clear water all summer.
The rivers dump a lot of silt in the beach waters which of course makes it murky/muddy.
It can be crystal clear at times but unfortunately it doesnt happen often enough.
The farther south you go the rivers are much clearer because they dont run through farmland and they have rock bottoms and the beaches reflect that.

Probably cheaper than assisted living and if you tip well enough you’ll get better care.

My biggest struggle was struggling with the idea I could not go outside to have enough room to change my mind!

While modern nuke subs aren't "spacious", they aren't claustrophobic like "Das Boot". The Ohio-class boats are longer than an Aegis-class destroyer and much bigger inside. The benefit of lacking weather decks also means lacking weather.

It means no topside watches in the freezing rain or snow (except in port). Since a nuclear reactor needs lots of pure water, we had redundant condensers, meaning daily hot showers.

I have met plenty of urban millennials to whom working from home, having their meals delivered, and getting all their entertainment from The Internet would find staying indoors for months a perfectly normal thing.

While modern nuke subs aren't "spacious", they aren't claustrophobic like "Das Boot". The Ohio-class boats are longer than an Aegis-class destroyer and much bigger inside. The benefit of lacking weather decks also means lacking weather.

It means no topside watches in the freezing rain or snow (except in port). Since a nuclear reactor needs lots of pure water, we had redundant condensers, meaning daily hot showers.

I have met plenty of urban millennials to whom working from home, having their meals delivered, and getting all their entertainment from The Internet would find staying indoors for months a perfectly normal thing.
You have forgotten I was a bubblehead once also? I was on a Lafayette-class boomer. I wore silver dolphins for my entire career. As a SWO, it started a lot of conversations with my gold water wings!

You have forgotten I was a bubblehead once also? I was on a Lafayette-class boomer. I wore silver dolphins for my entire career. As a SWO, it started a lot of conversations with my gold water wings!

Yes, I did forget.

Lafayette and Madison-Class for me.

New London, Holy Loch, and Rota.

I was one of the first at Kings Bay ,Georgia.

I did TDY on the James Monroe... the very first SSBN to dock in Kings Bay. We deployed from Rota and ended the patrol at King's Bay. If I remember right, this was 1981.

The East River channel had only recently been dredged, the Navigator was detached after the patrol and flown to Kings Bay. He took a tug ride along the East River and the tug ran aground three times. The chart soundings were highly inaccurate. He rejoined the boat with a handful of charts and the most terrified look I've ever seen on a man.

When we transited into Kings Bay, both the NAV and the CO were having kittens. I have never seen Naval Officers sweat through a shirt like that.

As soon as we tied up, I couldn't wait to get back to New London and took the first shuttle bus to NAS Jax to get back home. There were literally no facilities to speak of an King's Bay. Just a big, ugly concrete pier.

I have to believe it's been built up a bit since then.

I did TDY on the James Monroe... the very first SSBN to dock in Kings Bay. We deployed from Rota and ended the patrol at King's Bay. If I remember right, this was 1981.

The East River channel had only recently been dredged, the Navigator was detached after the patrol and flown to Kings Bay. He took a tug ride along the East River and the tug ran aground three times. The chart soundings were highly inaccurate. He rejoined the boat with a handful of charts and the most terrified look I've ever seen on a man.

When we transited into Kings Bay, both the NAV and the CO were having kittens. I have never seen Naval Officers sweat through a shirt like that.

As soon as we tied up, I couldn't wait to get back to New London and took the first shuttle bus to NAS Jax to get back home. There were literally no facilities to speak of an King's Bay. Just a big, ugly concrete pier.

I have to believe it's been built up a bit since then.
I was there in March 1980, so it must have been earlier. I know it was 1980 because Mt. St. Helens blew up while we were gone and didn't know about it until we were almost home.

You described it perfectly though. I think the tender we had was the USS Simon Lake. That was probably the only improvement. One of my classmates from ET "A" school was a crew member.

Forum List

Back