Liver transplant - turned down

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Not me, it's my brother in Florida. Seems they turned him down for a liver transplant based on the stability of his situation at home, apparently weren't sure he could/would get his meds and care that he would need post-op. His wife can't drive, has her own medical problems and they have no family nearly. I live in Texas with my wife who is an invalid (stroke) that needs 24/7 care of her own, so I can't really pack up and move to Florida myself.

So - anybody know anything about home care services? People that stop by once a day for a quick visit to make sure he takes his meds and checks his vital signs? He's on Medicaid and isn't working and neither is she (his wife) who has bone cancer of some kind. Tough situation for them. It's not like we're rich people that can afford to up and move them to Texas where I could care for everybody, or pay somebody else to do it.

Anyone know of a forum online where they can go to talk to others who have been through the transplant process, and what the alternatives are for those who can't get a liver transplant? Maybe they can get some ideas for what to do now.

Not me, it's my brother in Florida. Seems they turned him down for a liver transplant based on the stability of his situation at home, apparently weren't sure he could/would get his meds and care that he would need post-op. His wife can't drive, has her own medical problems and they have no family nearly. I live in Texas with my wife who is an invalid (stroke) that needs 24/7 care of her own, so I can't really pack up and move to Florida myself.

So - anybody know anything about home care services? People that stop by once a day for a quick visit to make sure he takes his meds and checks his vital signs? He's on Medicaid and isn't working and neither is she (his wife) who has bone cancer of some kind. Tough situation for them. It's not like we're rich people that can afford to up and move them to Texas where I could care for everybody, or pay somebody else to do it.

Anyone know of a forum online where they can go to talk to others who have been through the transplant process, and what the alternatives are for those who can't get a liver transplant? Maybe they can get some ideas for what to do now.
I would call the county health services where he lives. I bet they have contact info for what you need.

Sir, I am not sure this link that I am posting will be of any benefit at all... I just learned of this org. just a few days ago... If they can't help maybe they can point you in the proper direction...
Thank you for your service.

Home - RIP Medical Debt

That along with other supplements the liver can completely regenerate its self in time if there is 20% of viable liver tissue left.

Some liver damage can be repaired by the the creation of new liver cells. However, in cases of cirrhosis, where damaged liver cells have been replaced with scar tissue, those cells cannot be regenerated.

Cirrhosis as a result of virus, bacteria, or alcohol abuse is almost never reversible and would require a transplant. However, most people with a history of alcohol or drug abuse can ineligible for donor livers.

That along with other supplements the liver can completely regenerate its self in time if there is 20% of viable liver tissue left.

Some liver damage can be repaired by the the creation of new liver cells. However, in cases of cirrhosis, where damaged liver cells have been replaced with scar tissue, those cells cannot be regenerated.

Cirrhosis as a result of virus, bacteria, or alcohol abuse is almost never reversible and would require a transplant. However, most people with a history of alcohol or drug abuse can ineligible for donor livers.
Depends if the virus, bacteria, chemical (Tylenol and other drugs, contaminated water, etc), parasites or alcohol abuse is still ongoing. If the causation is removed and enough cells are present under the right conditions the liver can fully regenerate to be functional.

Repair macrophages in acute liver failure | Gut
gut.bmj.com › Archive › Volume 67, Issue 2
by T Puengel - ‎2018 - ‎Cited by 2 - ‎Related articles
During the early phase after recruitment, neutrophils and monocytes have an inflammatory phenotype and aggravate tissue damage.3 4 However, there is ample experimental evidence that monocyte-derived macrophages change their phenotype in the liver, if injury has terminated, towards repair-promoting phagocytes...

New “backup” liver repair mechanism | MRC Centre for Regenerative ...
www.crm.ed.ac.uk/news/backup-liver-repair
Jul 12, 2017 - The research shows bile duct cells can switch to become normal liver cells to help repair the liver after severe damage. Understanding how this back-up system is controlled could pave the way for new liver therapies. For the new study, published in Nature, CRM scientists studied hepatocytes, the main cell ...

Liver transplants a thing of the past?...
icon5.png

Liver transplants 'may be unnecessary thanks to new drug treatment'
16 August 2018 - A potential treatment for sudden liver failure could cut the need for transplants, say scientists at the University of Edinburgh.

The liver has an incredible natural ability to repair itself, but this can be lost in some injuries including severe drug overdoses. The therapy is a cancer drug that restores this regenerative potential. The work is at a very early stage, but the team say alternatives to transplant would have a huge impact on patients. Around 200 people in the UK have sudden life-threatening liver failure each year.

'I needed a new liver'

Student nurse Kara Watt, 21, needed a liver transplant two years ago. She was on placement at a care home when she started to feel sick and her face started to go yellow. Tests identified a problem with her liver function which continued to get worse. She ended up in intensive care in Edinburgh and was told she needed a new liver. It was "a horrible, horrible thing to hear", she said. It is people like Kara whom scientists hope their work will ultimately help.

Renewing regeneration

The team started by examining people's livers to see why they lose their ability to regenerate. They discovered severe injuries rapidly triggered a process called senescence throughout the liver. Senescence is when the body's cells become old, tired and stop working properly. It is part of ageing, but the researchers showed severe injuries were like "contagious old age" spreading through the organ.

_102984125_gettyimages-881849246.jpg

The study, published in Science Translational Medicine, also found a chemical signal that seemed to be responsible. The researchers then turned to mice and an experimental cancer therapy that could block the signal. The animals were given a drug overdose that would normally lead to liver failure and death, but with the treatment they survived. The researchers plan to test the drug on patients soon in the hope it could reduce the need for liver transplants.

A normal life?https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45188056
[/B]

Forum List

Back