Liver transplant - turned down

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by task0778, Apr 9, 2018.

1. task0778

task0778 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,085
    Not me, it's my brother in Florida. Seems they turned him down for a liver transplant based on the stability of his situation at home, apparently weren't sure he could/would get his meds and care that he would need post-op. His wife can't drive, has her own medical problems and they have no family nearly. I live in Texas with my wife who is an invalid (stroke) that needs 24/7 care of her own, so I can't really pack up and move to Florida myself.

So - anybody know anything about home care services? People that stop by once a day for a quick visit to make sure he takes his meds and checks his vital signs? He's on Medicaid and isn't working and neither is she (his wife) who has bone cancer of some kind. Tough situation for them. It's not like we're rich people that can afford to up and move them to Texas where I could care for everybody, or pay somebody else to do it.

Anyone know of a forum online where they can go to talk to others who have been through the transplant process, and what the alternatives are for those who can't get a liver transplant? Maybe they can get some ideas for what to do now.

2. Weatherman2020

Weatherman2020 Educating Libs Since 1978

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41,111
    I would call the county health services where he lives. I bet they have contact info for what you need.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner 'Ole Wise One' Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,387
    Sir, I am not sure this link that I am posting will be of any benefit at all... I just learned of this org. just a few days ago... If they can't help maybe they can point you in the proper direction...
    Thank you for your service.

Home - RIP Medical Debt

4. Tipsycatlover

Tipsycatlover Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,617
    Your brother should start taking milk thistle immediately.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,741
    So that's what them things are I just look at them silly every season..

6. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,940
    That along with other supplements the liver can completely regenerate its self in time if there is 20% of viable liver tissue left.

7. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,096
    Some liver damage can be repaired by the the creation of new liver cells. However, in cases of cirrhosis, where damaged liver cells have been replaced with scar tissue, those cells cannot be regenerated.

Cirrhosis as a result of virus, bacteria, or alcohol abuse is almost never reversible and would require a transplant. However, most people with a history of alcohol or drug abuse can ineligible for donor livers.

8. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,940
    Depends if the virus, bacteria, chemical (Tylenol and other drugs, contaminated water, etc), parasites or alcohol abuse is still ongoing. If the causation is removed and enough cells are present under the right conditions the liver can fully regenerate to be functional.

Repair macrophages in acute liver failure | Gut
    gut.bmj.com › Archive › Volume 67, Issue 2
    by T Puengel - ‎2018 - ‎Cited by 2 - ‎Related articles
    During the early phase after recruitment, neutrophils and monocytes have an inflammatory phenotype and aggravate tissue damage.3 4 However, there is ample experimental evidence that monocyte-derived macrophages change their phenotype in the liver, if injury has terminated, towards repair-promoting phagocytes...

New “backup” liver repair mechanism | MRC Centre for Regenerative ...
    www.crm.ed.ac.uk/news/backup-liver-repair
    Jul 12, 2017 - The research shows bile duct cells can switch to become normal liver cells to help repair the liver after severe damage. Understanding how this back-up system is controlled could pave the way for new liver therapies. For the new study, published in Nature, CRM scientists studied hepatocytes, the main cell ...

9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,204
    Liver transplants a thing of the past?...
    [​IMG]

Liver transplants 'may be unnecessary thanks to new drug treatment'
    16 August 2018 - A potential treatment for sudden liver failure could cut the need for transplants, say scientists at the University of Edinburgh.

[/B]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1