Joys of Retirement

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When one thinks of retirement, one usually focuses on the fact that you no longer have to go to work every day. But that's only a part of it.

Last night, there was snow in the weather forecast for the next couple days (the forecast was exaggerated, as usual), but as I watched the weatherman sow fear to his audience, I realized...I don't give a shit. I don't have to go out in it. And they talked about various roads being closed due to landslides and construction, and again...I don't give a shit.

I used to fret about overnight snow storms because my wife and I would have to drive on our driveway to get to work and back, before I had a chance to clear off the snow. And the car tracks made clearing off the snow either ten times more difficult, or impossible, if the tracks had turned completely to ice. Now, I don't care. I can clear the driveway whenever the hell I please, or just say to hell with it, for that matter, and wait for Spring.

Naps. In the middle of the work-afternoon I used to have a very strong urge, almost every day, to take a nap. Now, if I have that urge...I take a nap.

I used to forego late-night televisions programs, because if I didn't get enough sleep (before getting up for work), I would be grumpy the next day. Now that's not a problem. I know I can sleep as long as my body feels the need.

OTOH, the desire to stay "active" - however one defines that - is something of a challenge in retirement. My wife and I drive a courtesy bus for "Seniors" one day a week, and that day has become the cornerstone of our week, working anything else we want to do around it. Some days - like right now - there is nothing much to do, and the Big Event is going to the grocery store to pick up a jar of peanut butter. Or whatever.

This endless delay of Spring weather this year is making me a little bit crazy, as it's too cold to ride a bike, play tennis, golf, or even get started with my Spring yard work. But at least I don't have to cram all that stuff into the two-day weekend, like all the working stiffs have to. If the weather breaks on a Wednesday or Thursday, I'm on it. No need to wait until Saturday.

You never hear many people saying, "Retirement is over-rated."

My goal is to retire early.
I will be debt free in three years and will start working on that.
Wish me luck!

When one thinks of retirement, one usually focuses on the fact that you no longer have to go to work every day. But that's only a part of it.

Last night, there was snow in the weather forecast for the next couple days (the forecast was exaggerated, as usual), but as I watched the weatherman sow fear to his audience, I realized...I don't give a shit. I don't have to go out in it. And they talked about various roads being closed due to landslides and construction, and again...I don't give a shit.

I used to fret about overnight snow storms because my wife and I would have to drive on our driveway to get to work and back, before I had a chance to clear off the snow. And the car tracks made clearing off the snow either ten times more difficult, or impossible, if the tracks had turned completely to ice. Now, I don't care. I can clear the driveway whenever the hell I please, or just say to hell with it, for that matter, and wait for Spring.

Naps. In the middle of the work-afternoon I used to have a very strong urge, almost every day, to take a nap. Now, if I have that urge...I take a nap.

I used to forego late-night televisions programs, because if I didn't get enough sleep (before getting up for work), I would be grumpy the next day. Now that's not a problem. I know I can sleep as long as my body feels the need.

OTOH, the desire to stay "active" - however one defines that - is something of a challenge in retirement. My wife and I drive a courtesy bus for "Seniors" one day a week, and that day has become the cornerstone of our week, working anything else we want to do around it. Some days - like right now - there is nothing much to do, and the Big Event is going to the grocery store to pick up a jar of peanut butter. Or whatever.

This endless delay of Spring weather this year is making me a little bit crazy, as it's too cold to ride a bike, play tennis, golf, or even get started with my Spring yard work. But at least I don't have to cram all that stuff into the two-day weekend, like all the working stiffs have to. If the weather breaks on a Wednesday or Thursday, I'm on it. No need to wait until Saturday.

I retired last month and am having the same experience

Sounds wonderful. My father is retired and enjoys doing the same things. Although, I talked him out of driving a school bus. I told him he would wind up on the news video taped smacking the shit out of some smart assed kid.

You haven't retired, you are still posting...which is your job since you are a paid poster.

You had a paying job?

You had a paying job?
They are still paying him to stay away..

For 40 years my life was defined by tasks and schedules either college, career, or kids. I am totally enjoying the concept of a non-scheduled life and trying new things. I volunteered to teach piano to underprivileged kids this Summer through a special program, really looking forward to that.

I've always enjoyed golf but for some reason it always seemed hurried, and practice was just a quick warmup. Now I'll take my own practice balls and spend the afternoon chipping putting and hitting various length wedge shots. I find that as enjoyable as playing.

I don't miss work at all. I had a chance to go back on a consulting basis, but I can't even imagine.

Forum List

Back