Live Music

I always prefer live music over studio cuts and think that a band or musician is defined by their ability to perform live.

So post your live versions of songs here and list upcoming concerts for your favorites.

I think this is the best version of the song by STP

I usually gravitate towards live recordings.

Though I would say that recordings of live events don't always do the proper justice.

This version of New Noise is a nice example of when it works.

I always prefer live music over studio cuts and think that a band or musician is defined by their ability to perform live.

So post your live versions of songs here and list upcoming concerts for your favorites.

Though I would say that recordings of live events don't always do the proper justice.

That's a big problem with live music, especially recordings of live music; the sound quality is all too often terrible. I would guess that is less of an issue now than in the past, as recording technology has improved over time. :dunno:

That's a big problem with live music, especially recordings of live music; the sound quality is all too often terrible. I would guess that is less of an issue now than in the past, as recording technology has improved over time. :dunno:

True.
I tend to be forgiving of poor sound quality if it conveys the emotion of the live event. I suppose I'm thinking more in terms of music videos as opposed to just audio. I go to a lot of shows and it is a full sensory experience.

If just talking about audio then the quality of the recording takes on a much greater importance.

True.
I tend to be forgiving of poor sound quality if it conveys the emotion of the live event. I suppose I'm thinking more in terms of music videos as opposed to just audio. I go to a lot of shows and it is a full sensory experience.

If just talking about audio then the quality of the recording takes on a much greater importance.

I'm a fan of that song, and I don't want to listen to that recording. I think it sounds terrible. :p

I used to go to shows quite a bit, but it's been years and years since I've seen a band live. For me, it's almost always been about the music itself, rather than the performance of the music. While I've certainly enjoyed quite a few live shows, I find that music has the greatest power when it is solitary; I am more easily moved by listening to a song on my own than by listening to it in a crowd.

That is, of course, just me, and it will be different for everyone. :D

I rarely prefer live performances. Studio cuts give better audio quality, get rid of any mistakes, and basically create a more polished, finished product, the way the artists want it to sound.

I do prefer Iron Maiden's Live After Death to the same songs from the studio albums. That may just be because I heard most of the songs first on Live After Death, though.

I have to disagree. IMO anyone can do 5000 takes and technologically manipulate a recording to sound perfect.

It takes real talent to play live music and play it well.

This is of course one of those ear of the beholder things so there is no right or wrong just personal preference

You're not a badass if you can't bang it out live and under pressure. Often the tempo is faster from sheer nerves.

I say live is the gold standard of what a song is.

One Bass One Guitar and one bad ass kick set....amazing!!!!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back