Little-known fact: Obama's failed stimulus program cost more than the Iraq war

Seems to me he's doing exactly what he said he would do.

I'll "look it up for myself,"

but that wasn't the Promise.

WE were to be REJOINED with ours.

If ANY of them are still there?

He broke that promise to us,

and those that DIE there?

Whose hands are their blood on?

It's HIS Watch, now, Art.

Little-known fact: Obama's failed stimulus program cost more than the Iraq war

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Little-known fact: Obama's failed stimulus program cost more than the Iraq war | Washington Examiner

Expect to hear a lot about how much the Iraq war cost in the days ahead from Democrats worried about voter wrath against their unprecedented spending excesses.
The meme is simple: The economy is in a shambles because of Bush's economic policies and his war in Iraq. As American Thinker's Randall Hoven points out, that's the message being peddled by lefties as diverse as former Clinton political strategist James Carville, economist Joseph Stiglitz, and The Nation's Washington editor, Christopher Hayes.
The key point in the mantra is an alleged $3 trillion cost for the war. Well, it was expensive to be sure, in both blood and treasure, but, as Hoven notes, the CBO puts the total cost at $709 billion. To put that figure in the proper context of overall spending since the war began in 2003, Hoven provides this handy CBO chart showing the portion of the annual deficit attributable to the conflict:

30b1w5s.gif

But there is much more to be said of this data and Hoven does an admirable job of summarizing the highlights of such an analysis:
* Obama's stimulus, passed in his first month in office, will cost more than the entire Iraq War -- more than $100 billion (15%) more.
* Just the first two years of Obama's stimulus cost more than the entire cost of the Iraq War under President Bush, or six years of that war.
* Iraq War spending accounted for just 3.2% of all federal spending while it lasted.
* Iraq War spending was not even one quarter of what we spent on Medicare in the same time frame.
* Iraq War spending was not even 15% of the total deficit spending in that time frame. The cumulative deficit, 2003-2010, would have been four-point-something trillion dollars with or without the Iraq War.
* The Iraq War accounts for less than 8% of the federal debt held by the public at the end of 2010 ($9.031 trillion).
* During Bush's Iraq years, 2003-2008, the federal government spent more on education that it did on the Iraq War. (State and local governments spent about ten times more.)
Just some handy facts to recall during coming weeks as Obama and his congressional Democratic buddies get more desperate to put the blame for their spending policies on Bush and the war in Iraq.

Your article was absolute crap. Comparing deficits of the period to evaluate the costs of the war and the stimulus is as foolish as tickle down cult ideology.

Stigletz, who both won a Nobel prize in econ and predicted the same credit crisis that "shocked" 95% of the US' economics PHD's, predicted the full costs of the Iraq war would be $3 trillion.

The stimulus was a merely a 4th that much.

As much as a vehemently opposed the bailouts and the stimulus I call BULL!

And just to give you some context: The last two dependents drawing retirement pensions from the US Civil war didn't die until 1998 and 1999. 133 years after that war ended.

So the long term, actual costs of war are far, far larger than the funds budgeted to execute the war itself.

Stigletz did include some dubious items like productivity loss from dead and injured soldiers.

So let's compromise and say the Iraq war only cost 3 times as much as the stimulus. Which I opposed and still do.

Google
Funny how you bozos trumpet the CBO as absolute truth...except when they say something you disagree with.

What's the cost of five thousand American soldiers, sailors and marines lives, 20,000 who lost arms, legs, vision or tramatic brain injury? The cost to those who will suffer for a lifetime from the noise and horror of combat? The civilian population, the women and children liberated from life by the war of choice?
Oh, an $10 billion a month for nearly six years, not counting the medical costs for combat injuries lasting for decades; OH, and what about a $ one billion embassy (is it finished yet?).
You do realize we have an all-volunteer military, right?

What's the cost of all of that,

during the time it's been OBOZO'S WAR???

THAT is different. Just ask any Liberal.

It has never been President Obama's war.
Nonsense.
One might expect a former soldier to understand removing 150,000 soldiers from a theatre of war takes planning. Simply because Bush&Co sent them in poorly equipped doesn't mean they can be removed without a plan.
"Poorly equipped"? Nonsense.
btw, I'm not surprised you would respond favorably to an idiotgram.
I notice it took a while before the Left started responding to this thread. You all have to wait for talking points to be handed out?

Sure, little rabbity idiot, sure.

You people have a short memory, the rest of us do not.

Had our President pulled out all of our troops ASAP after January 20, 2009, you would have immediatly sounded the tocsins on how he 'lost' that war. Look how long you idiots blamed Truman for 'losing' China.

And you would have screeched that he did the right thing.

Seems to me he's doing exactly what he said he would do.

I'll "look it up for myself,"

Have at it.

but that wasn't the Promise.

Seems to me it was.

WE were to be REJOINED with ours.

Not trackin' you on this line ...

If ANY of them are still there?

Which there will be.
He broke that promise to us,

The evidence I provided you proves otherwise.

and those that DIE there?

Whose hands are their blood on?

His, obviously.

It's HIS Watch, now, Art.

And it has been for a year and a half now.

So Dave GEDman, trillions on Iraq ok the stimulus that jacked up the economy 4.5% not ok.

Got it wingnut.

What's the cost of five thousand American soldiers, sailors and marines lives, 20,000 who lost arms, legs, vision or tramatic brain injury? The cost to those who will suffer for a lifetime from the noise and horror of combat? The civilian population, the women and children liberated from life by the war of choice?
Oh, an $10 billion a month for nearly six years, not counting the medical costs for combat injuries lasting for decades; OH, and what about a $ one billion embassy (is it finished yet?).
You do realize we have an all-volunteer military, right?
So because they are volunteers their lives and limbs are worthless. :cuckoo:
Brilliantly callous.

Forum List

Back