Little Boy Decimates Hiroshima 70 Yrs ago

A funny story my mother used to tell - when she was a youngster, she picked up a newspaper from the breakfast table and said "We bombed Japan?!"

My grandfather looked at her in disgust... "that paper is three days old!" :lol:

It was necessary but nothing to be proud of. However millions of American and Japanese lives were saved.

Truman chose the lesser of two evils.
Neither was "evil". Both were necessary.
What I'm saying, all war is evil. In a perfect world, humans would settle their differences without resorting to violence.

Well it is not a perfect world and war in self defense is not evil at all.

To say all war is evil is to embrace a fringe pacifist view that is effectively national suicide.

It was necessary but nothing to be proud of. However millions of American and Japanese lives were saved.

What I'm saying, all war is evil. In a perfect world, humans would settle their differences without resorting to violence.
The usual liberal statement..."I see things as they should be in a perfect world..."
I'm not a liberal. I'm just saying that war is evil. I don't think you have to be a liberal to believe that.

No, you just have to be a fringe pacifist radical.

You would rather stand aside and watch millions of innocent people be led to a death camp than to stand and fight back.

Pathetic.

Wouldn't you think that Americans would have come to their senses in the 70 years since little timid Harry Truman, the first president in history without a college education, found himself president without a freaking clue after FDR died in April of 1945? Why would knee jerk propaganda educated Americans still justify two Atomic Bombs used on a defeated country? Why does it make you feel better if the inhabitants of two non military target cities in Japan were incinerated?

Lol, the idiot lobby pipes up again.

Of course it is better to let millions die in a land invasion of Japan instead, of course....freaking moron.

The usual liberal statement..."I see things as they should be in a perfect world..."
I'm not a liberal. I'm just saying that war is evil. I don't think you have to be a liberal to believe that.

No, you just have to be a fringe pacifist radical.

You would rather stand aside and watch millions of innocent people be led to a death camp than to stand and fight back.

Pathetic.
Whatever. You're an idiot.

Wouldn't you think that Americans would have come to their senses in the 70 years since little timid Harry Truman, the first president in history without a college education, found himself president without a freaking clue after FDR died in April of 1945? Why would knee jerk propaganda educated Americans still justify two Atomic Bombs used on a defeated country? Why does it make you feel better if the inhabitants of two non military target cities in Japan were incinerated?
We destroy Japanese city after city and the Japanese do not surrender.
We drop two A bombs and within days Japan surrenders, and thousands of Japanese live; add to that operation Olympia and Coronet are canceled, and thousands of Americans live. In 1974 the last Japanese soldier surrenders.

We destroy Japanese city after city and the Japanese do not surrender.
We drop two A bombs and within days Japan surrenders, and thousands of Japanese live; add to that operation Olympia and Coronet are canceled, and thousands of Americans live. In 1974 the last Japanese soldier surrenders.

I think about 100k to 250k Americans survive an invasion of Japan that never had to be done, but MILLIONS of Japanese survived and Japan had something left in her rural manufacturing capacity to survive the post war era. Dropping those two bombs to end the war early were acts of humanity.

F---ing precious.... Lol

The Japanese invading china and killing millions was evi, I am not a liberal either. Japan attacking Pearl Harbor or British/American bases with NO notice and all the shit the after the fact, Japan can screw itself. Wow.
If Japan had won the war, kids in school would hear a different story.
And if they hadn't attacked to begin with, wouldn't that have been a better alternative? If Japan wasn't rampaging over the Pacific, killing millions of innocent people in Indochina, ( the rape of Nan King). Japan wan't the poor poor little victim here. Wow.

"Without a college education"? Really?

You think if he had had a law degree he would have made a different choice?

:haha:

FDR had a degree, and he launched and supported the Manhattan Project.

And if Truman came into the Oval Office and had to deal with this question cold, it is only because Mr. College, as old and sick as he was, didn't think to keep his successor kept up to speed.

And "Defeated countries" don't need to be invaded in amphibious landings bigger than D-Day.

Winning the war against the Japanese and saving American lives....
It did not save American lives, but it did terminate many innocent Japanese lives.

Using a bomb instead of an invasion to end the war, obviously saved American lives.
False choice.

No invasion was ever necessary. Japan had been trying to surrender for months..even years, but FDR and Truman told them unconditional surrender or we will fuck you up...leading to thousands of unnecessary deaths on both sides.

It did not save American lives, but it did terminate many innocent Japanese lives.
Yes, it saved American lives. Who knows how many thousands. Japanese were killing themselves wholesale, including civilians. They refused to surrender, some would strap bombs on themselves and run into our forces. Groups would charge with pitch forks. Just one determined suicidal zealot can do a lot of damage.

Watch the show "World War 2 from Above". I saw it yesterday and leaves all doubt that it was the right thing to do. I learned a lot. One interesting thing is the cost of the atomic bombs. Over 600,000 people were employed and the cost was about 25 billion in today's money. One of the reasons it was so expensive was they weren't sure which would work, plutonium or uranium so they developed both. Fat Boy and Little John were different, they both worked.

Using a bomb instead of an invasion to end the war, obviously saved American lives.
False choice.

No invasion was ever necessary. Japan had been trying to surrender for months..even years, but FDR and Truman told them unconditional surrender or we will fuck you up...leading to thousands of unnecessary deaths on both sides.

"Necessary"?

That's an interesting choice of words.

Sure. I guess if we agreed to their conditions, we could have just walked away.

So, were their conditions reasonable?

Yes, it saved American lives. Who knows how many thousands. Japanese were killing themselves wholesale, including civilians. They refused to surrender, some would strap bombs on themselves and run into our forces. Groups would charge with pitch forks. Just one determined suicidal zealot can do a lot of damage.

Watch the show "World War 2 from Above". I saw it yesterday and leaves all doubt that it was the right thing to do. I learned a lot. One interesting thing is the cost of the atomic bombs. Over 600,000 people were employed and the cost was about 25 billion in today's money. One of the reasons it was so expensive was they weren't sure which would work, plutonium or uranium so they developed both. Fat Boy and Little John were different, they both worked.
It did not save lives. It ended lives of many innocent civilians.

And even if you believe the lie that is saved lives, is it ethical and moral to terminate the lives of untold numbers of innocent women, children, and old men of a defeated and defenseless nation wanting to surrender, to save the lives of your troops?

False choice.

"Necessary"?

That's an interesting choice of words.

Sure. I guess if we agreed to their conditions, we could have just walked away.

So, were their conditions reasonable?
Do you even know their conditions? I suspect not.

All they asked is that the Emperor stay on the throne and not be charged a war criminal, which Truman agreed to AFTER he incinerated thousands of innocent women, children, and old men.

Forum List

Back