List the 5 Presidents you most admire and the reason

But using that line of reasoning, if Lincoln is to be worshiped for saving the Union, should Assad be just as worshiped for saving Syria?

The two countries, circumstances, and forms of government (to mention but a few factors) are in no way similar. Another false analogy by you. Why don't you try arguing without relying on analogy for a change? You're not very good at this approach.

I can understand that you must compensate for your inability to refute an analogy by acting like a spoiled child by hollering "LA LA LA" and holding your breath....but if you think it makes you look intelligent, you are as deluded as you are impotent.

That you don't understand how the analogy fits only proves that you have your head firmly up your ass beyond possible extraction.

abusive, possessive husbands, does it.

Let it go. That analogy is a dead horse by now. You're just making yourself look like an idiot by trying to ride it.

You keep showing your impotence by not being able to refute it with anything other than "because I said so". You can bluff and bluster and stomp your feet all day, but it will not change the fact that the idiot is in your mirror.

hollering "LA LA LA" and holding your breath.......

I keep telling you in detail why your half-baked analogies don't hold up, and you keep responding with nonsense like that. Are you even reading the replies, or just having a conversation with the voices inside your head?

Killing 850,000 Americans and destroying half the nation is entirely indefensible. It is treasonous....

A treason committed by the Confederate dogs. All those deaths are on their heads. On the very brink of war, Lincoln supported a Constitutional Amendment that would have guaranteed the institution of slavery in perpetuity in those states where it already existed. Ironically, this would have been the 13th Amendment(!) In an attempt at avoiding armed conflict, he sent only provisions and not ammunition to resupply Fort Sumter. The traitors fired upon the federal garrison anyway. The dogs wanted their war and they would have it no matter what. Well, they got it. An unconscionable number of brave men were led to their deaths because of the obstinate, arrogant fools leading the Confederacy who were willing to sacrifice any number of lives for the sake of evil.

Oh brother, not this BS hateful argument again.

You see the tyranny in FDR's imprisonment of the Japanese Americans, but fail to see that Lincoln's actions were much worse. One could conclude you think the rights of Japanese Americans are much more important than Southerns.

Lincoln terminated American's rights to self determination...and so much more. Successive presidents used Lincoln's tyrannies to promote their tyrannies...for example, FDR's illegal actions against the Japanese Americans.

Lincoln could have easily avoided war by letting the South secede. He chose war because he was a murderous tyrant.

What made Lincoln a great President is that when confronted with a catastrophic situation, he did what needed to be done. Drastic times call for drastic measures. He saw the big picture which was to preserve the union. He faced petty politics and severe ridicule and opposition yet still stayed the course. He understood the politics of the situation, the role Europe would play and the impact that slavery was having on our nation

Unlike most of his contemporaries, Lincoln understood the politics of the situation and restored the union

Truly our best President

I often wonder why Lincoln is so revered. If you and I were married and you wanted a divorce, would you give me your undying love and loyalty if I used force to prevent you from leaving me and destroyed all your stuff in the process?

Lincoln proved that we are not a free nation, because free nations don't need to be held together by force.

Thank you for this very interesting, though controversial, point of view. We do, indeed, tend to worship Lincoln rather blindly. Your point would make a good doctoral dissertation.

not being able to refute it with anything other than "because I said so". ...

I have yet to say that, no matter how many times you insist that I have. What the hell are you smoking, kid?

"Don't bring up family and don't make false analogies."
"It's a false analogy because it's a false analogy."
"Attempting to draw out the analogy only highlights how inapplicable it is, dopey."

Where's the beef, boy?

The analogies are united by the notion of keeping a union together by force and violence. If you dispute that uniting notion, either outline your case why or admit you got nothing but bluster, bluff and bullshit.

Last edited:
What made Lincoln a great President is that when confronted with a catastrophic situation, he did what needed to be done. Drastic times call for drastic measures. He saw the big picture which was to preserve the union. He faced petty politics and severe ridicule and opposition yet still stayed the course. He understood the politics of the situation, the role Europe would play and the impact that slavery was having on our nation

Unlike most of his contemporaries, Lincoln understood the politics of the situation and restored the union

Truly our best President
He wasn't "confronted by a catastrophic situation", he created it.

Not sure I can think of five but...

Dwight Eisenhower, for his dropping the warning about the "military-industrial-congressional complex" (edited to MIC) on his way out the door. A remarkably courageous case of speaking truth to power.

FDR, for his taking on of economic disaster and putting in the energy and inspiration he did.

His cousin TR, for his taking on rampant robberbarony and championing the national resources of the earth.

None of them were flawless.

"God help this country when someone sits at this desk who doesn't know as much about the military as I do" -- Ike

I often wonder why Lincoln is so revered. If you and I were married and you wanted a divorce, would you give me your undying love and loyalty if I used force to prevent you from leaving me and destroyed all your stuff in the process?

Lincoln proved that we are not a free nation, because free nations don't need to be held together by force.

Thank you for this very interesting, though controversial, point of view. We do, indeed, tend to worship Lincoln rather blindly. Your point would make a good doctoral dissertation.

Thank YOU for replying in a rational manner worthy of further discussion, rather than with knee-jerk emotionalism because a sacred cow was gored.

Truly our best President

I wouldn't go so far as to say he created it, but he surely made it worse than it had to be. Bottom line, he was the President and had to make decisions I wouldn't wish on anyone... and stuck with those decisions to their conclusion, which, right or wrong in our hindsight, must be respected. But respect isn't the same as hero worship. ;)

Truly our best President
Far from it

The South was seceding before he even took office. The confrontation over slavery had been brewing for 50 years

Dwight Eisenhower, for his dropping the warning about the "military-industrial-congressional complex" (edited to MIC) on his way out the door. A remarkably courageous case of speaking truth to power.

FDR, for his taking on of economic disaster and putting in the energy and inspiration he did.

His cousin TR, for his taking on rampant robberbarony and championing the national resources of the earth.

"God help this country when someone sits at this desk who doesn't know as much about the military as I do" -- Ike

HP_110930_Ike_Poster.jpg

I am really torn on Ike. It's like he was one of our greatest heroes and also one of our greatest disappointments.

Truly our best President

Hard to see how, since the CSA was formed out of seceded states while Buchanan was still President...

CSA_states_evolution.gif

Truly our best President

Is it any wonder our political leadership promotes and instigates wars over and over again...with statist dupes like this walking around?

Hard to see how, since the CSA was formed out of seceded states while Buchanan was still President...

Well to be fair, the early seceding states did so because Lincoln won the election (similar to how some folks freaked once Obama was elected). South Carolina had a history of being a little quick with the "we're taking our toys and going home" thing. ;)

Truly our best President
Far from it

The South was seceding before he even took office. The confrontation over slavery had been brewing for 50 years

Exactly. Wanna blame somebody, blame those do-nothing predecessors who allowed it to fester that far.

Pop quiz: in the election of 1860, the Republican candidate was Lincoln and the Democratic candidate was Stephen Douglas.
Which one won the South?

Answer -- neither.
It's not like the warning signs weren't there.

Truly our best President

Is it any wonder our political leadership promotes and instigates wars over and over again...with statist dupes like this walking around?

Honest statist dupes I can live with...it's the sneaky ones who worry me. ;)

Forum List

Back