LINK: Iraq Connection Helped U.S. Find Bin Laden

JRK

Feb 27, 2011
Iraq Connection Helped U.S. Find Bin Laden

In 2004, about six weeks after the capture of Saddam Hussein, Kurdish police nabbed a high-ranking al-Qaida operative named Hassan Ghul in a town near the Iranian border. It wasn't long before Ghul was telling CIA interrogators about one of the organization's couriers, who used the nom-de-guerre of Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti.

"Hassan Ghul was the linchpin" in finding and killing Osama bin Laden, a U.S. official told The Associated Press on Monday. Ghul told the United States that the Kuwaiti-born Pakistani now known to have been Sheikh Abu Ahmed, who was killed along with the terrorist chieftain he served on Monday by U.S. Navy SEALs, was a crucial figure within al-Qaida.

"Al-Kuwaiti" was close to Faraj al-Libi, who replaced the captured Khalid Shiekh Mohammed as al-Qaida operational commander, Ghul told the CIA.

When al-Libi himself was captured in May 2005, and the United States interrogated him, he reportedly covered up for Ahmed so protectively that it became clear Ahmed was a key asset. It took more than seven years, but following the trail that began in Iraq with Ghul's capture finally led to bin Laden's Pakistan compound.

Ghul may have been next-to-unknown to Americans, but not to Newsmax readers. As early as March 8, 2004, Newsmax featured a newswire story noting that Ghul was found with "a strategic memo from Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi, the mysterious terror leader allegedly behind the bombings of Shiites in Iraq." And that "Ghul also yielded intel on bin Laden's position."

Read more on Newsmax.com: Iraq Connection Helped U.S. Find Bin Laden
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

In 2004, about six weeks after the capture of Saddam Hussein, Kurdish police nabbed a high-ranking al-Qaida operative named Hassan Ghul in a town near the Iranian border. It wasn't long before Ghul was telling CIA interrogators about one of the organization's couriers, who used the nom-de-guerre of Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti.

"Hassan Ghul was the linchpin" in finding and killing Osama bin Laden, a U.S. official told The Associated Press on Monday. Ghul told the United States that the Kuwaiti-born Pakistani now known to have been Sheikh Abu Ahmed, who was killed along with the terrorist chieftain he served on Monday by U.S. Navy SEALs, was a crucial figure within al-Qaida.

"Al-Kuwaiti" was close to Faraj al-Libi, who replaced the captured Khalid Shiekh Mohammed as al-Qaida operational commander, Ghul told the CIA.

When al-Libi himself was captured in May 2005, and the United States interrogated him, he reportedly covered up for Ahmed so protectively that it became clear Ahmed was a key asset. It took more than seven years, but following the trail that began in Iraq with Ghul's capture finally led to bin Laden's Pakistan compound.

Ghul may have been next-to-unknown to Americans, but not to Newsmax readers. As early as March 8, 2004, Newsmax featured a newswire story noting that Ghul was found with "a strategic memo from Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi, the mysterious terror leader allegedly behind the bombings of Shiites in Iraq." And that "Ghul also yielded intel on bin Laden's position."

So I wonder why they didn't link the first story. This one says nothing. It's always fascinating, though, when an internet news outlet claims to have inside information direct from the CIA. Even if by some remote chance they did, the CIA would not admit it, so articles like that are only good as fodder for conspiracy theorists attempting to justify the Iraq war by tying al-Qaeda to Iraq at a time when the war was beginning to go bad. Newsmax did that on several occasions.

why?

I mean CBS reported days before a presidential election that some in accurate information about Bush and his service record about events that have not taken place on a computer that did not exist at the time

The AP is the source for the story

so whats the problem?
You mean.....besides Lil' Dumbya's incompetency?????

:eusa_eh:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htAs_yM2r78]YouTube - Bush Deserves No Credit For Osama Bin Laden Death[/ame]​

Last edited:

why?

I mean CBS reported days before a presidential election that some in accurate information about Bush and his service record about events that have not taken place on a computer that did not exist at the time

so whats the problem?

There were all kinds of stories with weak linkages of AQ to Iraq. I'm sure now that bin Laden is dead, we'll see many more of these stories resurrected as people attempt to prove that Bush was mightier than Obama.

why?

so whats the problem?

So let me get this straight.

The reason that the Newsmax story is reliable is because CBS did an unreliable story about GW Bush?

lol, good one.

why?

so whats the problem?

The reason that the Newsmax story is reliable is because CBS did an unreliable story about GW Bush?

lol, good one.

And just a reminder if one of us posts an AP wire report, it's apt to get slugged as being a left-wing news organization. (Applies only to stories that don't glorify the conservative take on an issue.)

why?

so whats the problem?

lol, good one.

No
I am having a hard time with the liberal mind. They state a story is not accurate, but give no reason why it is not accurate
It is like Time
every-one knows Time and the NY times, Washington Post do not lean left, they are the leading the cause for the left
everyone knows that
but the story no matter how spun out it is usually is true

The Liberal mind gives the impression that this story is what?
wrong?
why?

why?

so whats the problem?

There were all kinds of stories with weak linkages of AQ to Iraq. I'm sure now that bin Laden is dead, we'll see many more of these stories resurrected as people attempt to prove that Bush was mightier than Obama.

Mam with respect thats not the cons intent
Look at the facts thats a no brainier
5% UE vs 9% with the deficit numbers Obama has is as far as I need to go with that
The real conservative is trying to save this country, not comparing the obvious

An unverifiable article from newsmax full of words like "may have" and "could be". Yeah, that's credible.

Stuff like this just makes the right look desperate and pathetic. Sorry, I meant MORE desperate and pathetic.

An unverifiable article from newsmax full of words like "may have" and "could be". Yeah, that's credible.

Stuff like this just makes the right look desperate and pathetic. Sorry, I meant MORE desperate and pathetic.

What are you talking about?
yea the american people may not be known to most Americans, I wonder why?
Yet the Americans sure knew about GWBs so called military records

My friend I have nothing to be desperate about, and as far as pathetic, I find it pathetic that one American would call another pathetic just because they differ in opinion

My friend I have nothing to be desperate about, and as far as pathetic, I find it pathetic that one American would call another pathetic just because they differ in opinion

That's some audacity...asking ME what I'm talking about. Your sentences don't make a lick of sense. Seriously? "The american people may not be known to most Americans?" WTF?

Yes, pathetic. Bush doesn't get credit for getting bin Laden...get over it.

That's some audacity...asking ME what I'm talking about. Your sentences don't make a lick of sense. Seriously? "The american people may not be known to most Americans?" WTF?

Yes, pathetic. Bush doesn't get credit for getting bin Laden...get over it.

Pathetic?
what are you talking about and who said anything about who gets credit for killing OBL?
The spin is Iraq had nothing to do with OBL, yet where did we capture this guy?
And as far as killing OBL? the navy seals gets credit for that
whats worse is you must think that event had something to do with creating the 6 million jobs we have lost in 27 months

Can't attack the facts, attack the source.

If it's so bad, it would be easy to refute.

Now Rabbi... There are many sources that are complete shit.. and not just on the left (huffy puffy being a prime example).... I purposely do not use a source like salon (for example) from the right...

IMHO.. if you are going to use an 'iffy' source, best to back it up with corroborating evidence

kinda early to be hitting the sauce, isn't it?

They could have easily captured or killed OBL much quicker if they would have simply put the spot light and rubber hose on the leader of Pakistan.

Forum List

Back