Linguisting or Semantic Pet Peeves

Confusing 'woman/women' drives me up the wall, and it's more common than it should be.

Man is singular.

Men is plural.

Woman is singular.

Women is plural.

There seems to be a lot of plural perversion going on. First it was forming plurals with an apostrophe :puke: .... but now it's dropping the plural altogether. Can't count how many times I've seen posted something like:

"Leftist are like that"

:banghead:

I dunno, maybe schooling was abolished recently....

When Conservatives refer to the Democrat Party

Last edited:
I hate it when someone says "very unique". Unique means it is one of a kind. Either it is unique or it is not.

I think it if bothers you that much how people say stuff you have too much time on your hands and not enough important things to worry about.....

I think it if bothers you that much how people say stuff you have too much time on your hands and not enough important things to worry about.....

Not at all. It's not like there's an effort involved --- these things scream themselves out. And more importantly they give us a clue that the speaker really has not considered what he or she is saying.

Btw you need a comma after "stuff" there.... :tongue:

I never consider what I'm saying.
If it's in my head, out it comes!

Not at all. It's not like there's an effort involved --- these things scream themselves out. And [sic] more importantly [sic] they give us a clue that the speaker really has not considered what he or she is saying.

Btw [sic] you need a comma after "stuff" there.... :tongue:

You are not qualified to offer corrections.

Not at all. It's not like there's an effort involved --- these things scream themselves out. And [sic] more importantly [sic] they give us a clue that the speaker really has not considered what he or she is saying.

And you are fully qualified to shut the fuck up. :fu:

Confusing 'woman/women' drives me up the wall, and it's more common than it should be.

Man is singular.

Men is plural.

Woman is singular.

Women is plural.

There seems to be a lot of plural perversion going on. First it was forming plurals with an apostrophe :puke: .... but now it's dropping the plural altogether. Can't count how many times I've seen posted something like:

"Leftist are like that"

:banghead:

I dunno, maybe schooling was abolished recently....

If you're giving out grades for showing up and breathing in and out, I'd say so.

I have a lot more trouble these days with verbal issues than I do written, though. I swear to God, people in this country are only nominally speaking English any more. They might as well point and grunt like cavemen.

Errant comas.

Even when merely implied by inappropriate pauses in speech.

Elephants: Eats shoots and leaves.

They do except in Detroit which can't afford proper security for the bars.

Elephants: Eats, shoots and leaves. There there they wander into bars, eat the free peanuts, fire ashtrays from their trunks - shattering the mirror - and then depart without paying.

(didja spot the intentional other one?)

And you are fully qualified to shut the fuck up.

I don't blame you for being embarrassed.

Errant comas.

Elephants: Eats, shoots and leaves. There there they wander into bars, eat the free peanuts, fire ashtrays from their trunks - shattering the mirror - and then depart without paying.

Errant comas? You mean when you're just walking down the street and suddenly collapse on the ground, unconscious, for no reason whatsoever? :eusa_whistle:

Errant comas.

Errant comas? You mean when you're just walking down the street and suddenly collapse on the ground, unconscious, for no reason whatsoever? :eusa_whistle:

Narcolepsy.

Errant comas.

Narcolepsy.

Yeah, I know. My uncle Immanuel died in an institution because he was narcoleptic.

Although technically, that wouldn't be "for no reason whatsoever". That would actually be for a reason.

Reiterate when you mean iterate.
I could care less when you mean I couldn't care less.
Conversating when you mean talking.

Forum List

Back