Like seafood? You might want to read this article.

all food is polluted at this point....beef, pork and seafood.....i like seafood....i am careful where it comes from however
EXACTLY!!!

If I lived anywhere from Alaska to Chile along the Pacific...I'd be EXTREMELY suspicious of ALL sea food!

The prevailing currents that feed the weather and waters along the entire west coast of North America passes RIGHT BY the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. You know, the plant that is STILL releasing radioactive material out of 3 different partially or completely compromised containment vessels.

You don't hear ANYone talking about it, but this is a REAL risk. The reason is, there is a 15 mile radius around Fukushima that will never be safe to live in. Problem is, HALF of that 30 mile circle is OCEAN!

Heck, the Japanese STILL can't eat food produced on land within 30 miles of the place!

Now we all know that they can take readings and say they are safe for humans and it STILL be deadly to humans. After the contaminate has been absorbed in non dangerous amounts by phytoplankton and plankton in the TRILLIONS, it then gets passed on to larger and larger critters until the concentrations of contaminates is DEADLY to the ultimate predator...MAN!

All those critter drift and travel with the currents. Currents that come right to our shores!

Yep, I'd be very concerned about what I ate on or from the west coast considering what the heck is going on at Fukushima Daiichi and given that EVERYONE is keeping the story so hushed up. Especially since it's STILL not contained at all in 3 of the reactors!

I caught an Atlantic salmon once on small river near Camden Maine.

It was a truly beautiful fish.

Had to let it go, of course.

FWIW all nature salmon tend to have parasites.

That is why, I am informed, there was no Salmon Sushi until AFTER people started first FREEZING the Salmon to kill off those nature parasites.

Once frozen, again so I am told, the fish is safe to eat raw.

That is why, I am informed, there was no Salmon Sushi until AFTER people started first FREEZING the Salmon to kill off those nature parasites..

Link?

From the below linked article:

#2: ATLANTIC SALMON (Both Wild-caught and Farmed)
Why It's Bad: It's actually illegal to capture wild Atlantic salmon because the fish stocks are so low, and they're low, in part, because of farmed salmon. Salmon farming is very polluting: Thousands of fish are crammed into pens, which leads to the growth of diseases and parasites that require antibiotics and pesticides. Often, the fish escape and compete with native fish for food, leading to declines in native populations.

Adding to our salmon woes, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is moving forward with approving genetically engineered salmon to be sold, unlabeled, to unsuspecting seafood lovers. That salmon would be farmed off the coast of Panama, and it's unclear how it would be labeled. Currently, all fish labeled "Atlantic salmon" come from fish farms. And, as you know if you follow me on Twitter, they're fed pellets that contain pink dye—that's how they get their color. Gross!

Eat This Instead: Opt for Wild Alaskan salmon.

Fish You Shouldn't Eat | Yahoo! Health

Bluefin tuna can't be stressed enough. Their populations are in virtual collapse.

Guess what, millions of wild salmon die after spawning. Which government agency do we see about that?.

You see the Federal Agency for Salmon Mortality.

The article is one reason why I've started paying twice the price for local seafood. NPR had a story on shrimp farms in Asia. It was disgusting.

Spawning salmon are largely inedible, and are performing the role of keeping their species alive. Some people are ridiculously stupid.

Gulf seafood is clean and healthy in comparison to shrimp farms in Asia. Plus, it has the added benefit of tasting fantastic.

As far as our waters down here, nobody is seeing any oil these days. They look as pristine as ever (thank all that is sacred).

Where would the left be with out a crisis to worry about? Happy? Naah. When the salmon scare wears out it will be food dye or some tainted Thanksgiving treat.

That is why, I am informed, there was no Salmon Sushi until AFTER people started first FREEZING the Salmon to kill off those nature parasites..

Link?

When I was a kid I worked in a fish market. Trust me on this..all sea food has parasites.

I didn't say anything about any food having no parasites. I said, "link"? If you don't have one, STFU and get out of the way.

Sorry but you're all gonna die eating that seafood poison.

But as I general partner in a catfish farm I highly recommend the product. No polluted lakes or rivers, just nice fresh water for them to live and grow in. And they're great eating, so try some cat sometime. But be sure to make sure it's farm raised.

Mebbe could be a new source of renewable energy?...
:cool:
U.S. Government Has Spent $682,570 to Study 'Shrimp On A Treadmill'
December 27, 2011 - Reports of $500,000 of taxpayer funds to study a project that has shrimp running on a treadmill hit the headlines early in 2011. A recent report now shows that $682,570 in grants has been awarded to the research effort.
According to the National Science Foundation (NSF) website, the money has been granted to the “Taking the Pulse of Marine Life in Stressed Seas” research conducted by biology professors Louis and Karen Burnett at the College of Charleston. The research page describes the professor’s "big question" as “How are human-made marine stresses affecting the marine life that we need?”

The website describes the process of the Burnett’s experiments, “First, a crustacean is infected, by injection, with the same types of disease-causing bacteria that are commonly encountered in the wild. Next, the animal is placed on a specially built, mini underwater treadmill. Then, the organism's vital signs, such as its heart rate and blood pressure, are measured (as a proxy for fitness) while it walks on the treadmill--similar to the way that a person's vital signs are measured while he or she& walks on a treadmill during a stress test. Finally, the treadmill performances of infected crustaceans are compared to those of their uninfected counterparts.”

The NSF has even produced a video on the project titled: “The Importance of Studying Shrimp On A Treadmill”. Some of the results of the studies are available from the NSF, “Results show that infected crabs and shrimp do not perform on the treadmill as well as their uninfected counterparts, and that the immune responses that are triggered by bacterial infections are enough, by themselves, to reduce these animals' ability to take up oxygen, even when high levels of oxygen are available.” The website further states that there are “More answers needed”, as research is ongoing.

Source

See also:

Giant Shrimp Invade Gulf
Saturday, December 24, 2011 - Asian tiger prawn has scientists worried
A truly jumbo shrimp is causing big worries about the future of the Gulf of Mexico's ecosystem. The Asian tiger prawn, a foot-long crustacean with a voracious appetite and a proclivity for disease, has invaded the northern Gulf, threatening prized native species, from crabs and oysters to smaller brown and white shrimp. Though no one is sure what the ecological impact will be, scientists fear a tiger prawn takeover could knock nature's balance out of whack and turn a healthy, diverse marine habitat into one dominated by a single invasive species. "It has the potential to be real ugly," said Leslie Hartman, Matagorda Bay ecoystem leader for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. "But we just do not know."

The tiger prawns from the western Pacific - which can grow up to 13 inches long - have been spreading along the Gulf Coast since 2006, but their numbers took off this year. Shrimpers pulled one from Texas waters for the first time in June. In all, shrimpers have found three tiger prawns in Aransas Bay, one in Sabine Lake near the Louisiana border and one in Gulf waters about 70 miles from Freeport, according to the Texas Sea Grant program at Texas A&M University. Marine scientists will conduct genetic studies on the shrimp to determine their origin. Hartman said they will need at least 60 prawns for an accurate analysis.

Several theories

Some speculate that the Gulf invasion began with an accidental release of farmed prawns in South Carolina in 1988. Another theory: The prawns may have escaped from flooded industrial shrimp ponds in the Caribbean Sea during recent hurricanes. The threat underscores concerns about large-scale fish farming, also known as aquaculture, in the Gulf. The federal government opened the waters to fish farms in 2009 despite fears from environmental and fishing interests over how to protect wild stocks.

Disease normally would exist in relatively low levels in fish around the Gulf but can run rampant in densely packed fish farms. Tiger prawns are a known carrier of at least 16 viruses, such as white spot, which can be lethal to shrimp. The Gulf policy calls for only native species to be farmed, but it does not have the force of law, said George Leonard, who leads the Ocean Conservancy's aquaculture program. "We need to be really, really cautious," Leonard said. "There has to be rules and regulations."

No farming of species

Texas allows industrial-scale shrimp ponds, but requires permits for the cultivation of non-native species. No one in the state is farming tiger prawns, said Tony Reisinger, a marine and coastal resources expert for the Texas Sea Grant program. Marine scientists have yet to find any juvenile tiger prawns in Texas waters, a sign that the species is breeding. It is a difficult assignment because they look similar to native white shrimp at a young age. Tiger prawns weigh more than a half-pound and have distinctive black and white stripes on the tail. They eat the same types of food as native shrimp species, but also prey on their smaller cousins, as well as crabs and young oysters.

"It's a large, competitive species," Reisinger said. It's also tasty, fetching a higher market price than native brown shrimp on the New York market this month. Some shrimpers have wondered if the large prawns could become the fourth harvestable shrimp species off the Texas coast. Hartman, of Texas Parks and Wildlife, is skeptical. "It could be another crop, but at the expense of our native crop," she said.

Source

From the below linked article:

#2: ATLANTIC SALMON (Both Wild-caught and Farmed)
Why It's Bad: It's actually illegal to capture wild Atlantic salmon because the fish stocks are so low, and they're low, in part, because of farmed salmon. Salmon farming is very polluting: Thousands of fish are crammed into pens, which leads to the growth of diseases and parasites that require antibiotics and pesticides. Often, the fish escape and compete with native fish for food, leading to declines in native populations.

Adding to our salmon woes, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is moving forward with approving genetically engineered salmon to be sold, unlabeled, to unsuspecting seafood lovers. That salmon would be farmed off the coast of Panama, and it's unclear how it would be labeled. Currently, all fish labeled "Atlantic salmon" come from fish farms. And, as you know if you follow me on Twitter, they're fed pellets that contain pink dye—that's how they get their color. Gross!

Eat This Instead: Opt for Wild Alaskan salmon.

Fish You Shouldn't Eat | Yahoo! Health
Time for your education as to the REAL problem.murkin greed.
link to .pdf
http://documents.foodandwaterwatch.org/FishStoryMarch08.pdf

Forum List

Back