Life is an IQ test

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by IanC, Nov 12, 2010.

1. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Lots of people here disagree with me that intelligence is an important factor in day to day life, or that intelligence is one of the driving forces in earning money and accruing wealth.

here is yet another study showing how intelligence shows its influence in almost any area that is researched.

http://cfs.wisc.edu/Files/Working%20Papers/Agarwal-1.pdf

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Life is an IQ test.

You work hard keep your nose to the grindstone, study before investing and you get you financial house in order and then if you LUCKY and don't get killed by some unexpected event or disease, you can feel supior to those who either didn't work hard enough, are stupid or who were just unlucky.

I have to tell yas that I am especially proud of having been smart enough to have been born in the USA to relatively middle class parents.

Yup, I have a lot to be proud of, don't I?

I am constantly amazed at how stupid people were who chose to be born in Haiti.

What were they thinking?!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,293
    LOL IanC, do you only know three, maybe four people? That is so ridiculous it defies the law of credibility. Consider only that serial killers are usually high IQ and you start to hope dumbness prevails.

"Opinion is ultimately determined by the feelings, and not by the intellect." Herbert Spencer

4. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,441

speak up, don't be so wishy-washy. if you disagree, say it. if you think the accidents and coincidences of life are so overwhelming that character and intelligence are futile gestures towards Fate just say so.

5. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Well I certainly don't know any serial killers. But I do know that I make probably hundreds of decisions everyday. Being able to make quick and generally better choices adds up. Its like having a tailwind at my back pushing me forward. Dull people face a headwind that hold them back.

6. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    [​IMG]

looking at the graph it is easy to see so many of the social pathologies that are given as excuses for racial disparities seem to be intricatedly linked to intelligence.

there was an interesting blurb under the graph at this link

and

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I was too subtle?

Okay I think that if IQ were that important then the correlation between IQ and how people do in life would be much stronger than it is.

I think if IQ were the primary determining factor in how well off people were then Asia would never have been a shithole (because on average Asians are smarter than Euros by 10 points) and Europe would never have conquered most of the world. (because MOST of the world has IQs higher on average than most Euros)

I think that attempting to reduce individual fate or collective fates to ONE FACTOR is just dumber than hell,

Clear enough for you?

8. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    subtle is fine, but I find people often contest what is inferred.

you say the correlations for intelligence arent high enough. can you give examples of any other factors that are even remotely as high?

I have to disagree with you about most of the world being smarter than Euros. NE asians are the only large group that outscores them, by 5 to 8 points. And that is a significant factor in why they are becoming the world superpower now that they have adopted capitalist trading policies.

I fear you have mistaken what I have said when you build a strawman out of intelligence being the only factor in success. I say it is the single most powerful factor in social outcomes, with amazing predictive ability that increases as the groups that are being analyzed grow in size. For example, SAT scores are ridiculed for having fairly low correlation to freshman grades. But that is ignoring restriction of range issues, as well as the other issues of first year students. SAT correlation is much higher for fourth year scores. And if you look at students in blocks of 25 the correlation is over .5, in blocks of 100 the correlation approaches .9!

I understand your feeling that it is unfair that some individuals benefit from better genetic and cultural legacies but that does not change the fact that those who receive those gifts are typically more successful. Wishful thinking does not change reality. I am sorry that you find me unkind for speaking of logistical facts rather than sociological ideals.

9. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Life is not an IQ test, it is a test of heart.

10. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Care to explain what the 'heart' thingy is, and how it works?