Life Guards...why dont they use jet skis?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Beach life guards......instead of swimming, why dont they invest in a few jet skis that are staged at the water, at the ready, to get to drowning swimmers? wouldnt it make it safer for the life guard during a rescue?

Just wondering

Beach life guards......instead of swimming, why dont they invest in a few jet skis that are staged at the water, at the ready, to get to drowning swimmers? wouldnt it make it safer for the life guard during a rescue?

Just wondering

Off the top of my head: cost, potential of theft/vandalism, possibility of striking swimmers with the jet ski, and the question of how much time it would actually save. I'm just throwing out guesses. :)

I have seen them in use as back up for swimmers to get the person ashore faster once they are recovered but you still need someone to dive if the person is under.

Off the top of my head: cost, potential of theft/vandalism, possibility of striking swimmers with the jet ski, and the question of how much time it would actually save. I'm just throwing out guesses. :)
You'd have to take two lifeguards out...One to do the rescue and one to tend to the machine...At that point there's no room for the rescued swimmer.

You could put a siren on it?
You'd have to take two lifeguards out...One to do the rescue and one to tend to the machine...At that point there's no room for the rescued swimmer.

No..... the guy on the jet ski could make the rescue...diving off the jet ski.....follow up swimmers could help....you could even have a flotation device on the jet ski....maybe a deployable small life boat that is inflated like a life boat.....

Or a specialized float device you wrap around the victim to make it easier to move him to shore....you wrap it around him then inflate ir wirh co2

You could put a siren on it?

No..... the guy on the jet ski could make the rescue...diving off the jet ski.....follow up swimmers could help....you could even have a flotation device on the jet ski....maybe a deployable small life boat that is inflated like a life boat.....

Or a specialized float device you wrap around the victim to make it easier to move him to shore....you wrap it around him then inflate ir wirh co2
Where do the follow up swimmers come from, if you need the jet ski to retrieve the distressed swimmer?

You'd need to anchor the craft for a one-man operation, and there'd be no room if two LGs went out.

They do...
1686280514703.jpeg

Where do the follow up swimmers come from, if you need the jet ski to retrieve the distressed swimmer?

You'd need to anchor the craft for a one-man operation, and there'd be no room if two LGs went out.

Right now where do the other swimmers come from?

The jet ski would get the first rescuer there faster, and they can use the jet ski as something to hold onto with the victim and or use it to carry rescue equipment....until the follow up swimmers manage to swim to the location.

Just wondering
A better question is why don't all lifeguards look like this?
98d00f69-4968-472e-952c-179ba643988c.jpg

Now hiw about a rescue flotaion device that could be slid under the shoulders and around the chest and inflated like a life vest?

Might makenit easier to keep the floating and their head out of the water and push them to shore.

The jet ski would get the first rescuer there faster, and they can use the jet ski as something to hold onto with the victim and or use it to carry rescue equipment....until the follow up swimmers manage to swim to the location.
Unless they're underwater, and then all that changes.

I actually have rescued a cracker bigger than me that dove deep when the rule was to dive shallow and knocked himself out and was at the bottom of a river. That current ain't nice, especially when toting a big malakka. He didn't take in any water, but he rung his own bell
pretty good. By the time I made it to shore with him, it was 2 places down. I know I'm not the best swimmer..I've seen that guy, but I'm OK I guess.

Last edited:

Just wondering
When you go swimming, do you tuck?

Because they are invariably top heavy from steroid use they would topple over and into the water .
Jett skis would then clatter into the drowning person and finish them off .
Great new spectator sport

In a lake perhaps but it would be hard to tie up a jet ski at the shoreline of a beach and if you had to have it on the beach, it the person would be drowned before a lifeguard could get the ski in the water. The only places I have seen jetskis in use had normal onshore life guards and then someone else out on patrol on a jetski as back up that covered a lot more area than the sitting under the umbrella lifeguards. They are particularly useful for riptide rescues over a swimmer but otherwise do not expect to see the lifeguard stands disappear.

Forum List

Back