Libya comdemns Doctors to Death...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...fp/bulgaria_libya_aids_040506101309&printer=1

Libyan court sentences seven foreign health workers to death

Thu May 6, 6:13 AM ET Add Mideast - AFP to My Yahoo!

SOFIA (AFP) - A Libyan court sentenced to death six Bulgarian health workers and a Palestinian doctor convicted of spreading AIDS (news - web sites) in a children's hospital.

The court at Benghazi, in northern Libya, said the seven foreigners would be executed by a firing squad.

They were found guilty of infecting some 400 children, of whom 43 have since died, at a hospital in Benghazi with the HIV virus (news - web sites) that causes AIDS by injecting them with tainted blood products.

The condemned plan to appeal the sentence to the Libyan Supreme Court in Tripoli, Bulgarian public radio said Thursday.

Nine Libyan doctors who were accused of negligence in the case were pronounced not guilty by the court where angry relatives of the infected children protested Thursday, holding banners reading "Thanks for the AIDS."

The Bulgarian government called the sentence "unacceptable for the Bulgarian government and state. There will be an appeal," government spokesman Dimitar Tsonev told BNT national television.

"The Bulgarian government will continue all its efforts to mobilise the international community, the European Union (news - web sites) and the United States in order to obtain a fair sentence from another court," Tsonev said.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand the doctors shouldnt have been that negligent. On the other hand, is this for real because only foreign doctors are being executed and not libyan doctors? Its a weird situation.

Justice being served, IMO. Anyone who would knowingly give children AIDS should be shot.

That said, I can't believe I'm agreeing with one of Colonel Qadaffi's policies.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
:huh: :wtf:

from the article:
"Nine Libyan doctors who were accused of negligence in the case were pronounced not guilty by the court where angry relatives of the infected children protested Thursday, holding banners reading "Thanks for the AIDS." "

This strikes me as sarcasm; I'm sure they're not REALLY thankful for aids. On a banner it just doesn't work for me.

That's all; no big woop.

No big cause for emoticons of confusion.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
from the article:
"Nine Libyan doctors who were accused of negligence in the case were pronounced not guilty by the court where angry relatives of the infected children protested Thursday, holding banners reading "Thanks for the AIDS." "

This strikes me as sarcasm; I'm sure they're not REALLY thankful for aids. On a banner it just doesn't work for me.

That's all; no big woop.

No big cause for emoticons of confusion.

the lightbulb came on finally. I didn't realize you were referring to 'banners' from the article. I guess I need more coffee now? :cof:

"Banners" does have another meaning on a messageboard. My lightbulb just came on too.

My problem with this is that there is a severe lack of facts coming forth. It just says that the doctors gave aids to kids but the foreign ones who came into their country im sure willingly to help, are being killed while the native Libyans live.

I don't think the whole story is being told. How did they give these kids Aids? I don't think any doctor would knowingly give someone a terminal disease let alone kids.

"They were found guilty of infecting some 400 children, of whom 43 have since died, at a hospital in Benghazi with the HIV virus (news - web sites) that causes AIDS by injecting them with tainted blood products. "

Either I'm missing something here, or you all are jumping to conclusions. The article simply stated that these individuals had injected children with tainted blood products. It did NOT state that they knew these products were tainted or that they were injected maliciously.

Given conditions in Libya, I rather doubt that facilities were available for testing blood for HIV. If these people knew the blood was tainted and used it anyway, well then a firing squad is too good for them. However, if they had no knowledge or any way to determine the status of the products they were using, then the whole thing is simply tragic and shooting these people would be an atrocity.

Forum List

Back