Liberty University-Romney delivers deeply spiritual address, but avoids his Mormonism

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by rdean, May 12, 2012.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,022
    LYNCHBURG, Va. — Making by far his most spiritual speech of his presidential campaign, Republican Mitt Romney on Saturday offered a fierce defense of Judeo-Christian values and an America that he said “has trusted in God, not man.”

Romney sought to root his candidacy in faith with a commencement address at Liberty University in which he spoke of a shared “Christian conscience” to bridge his Mormon faith with that of evangelical Christians. But the all-but-certain nominee largely sidestepped divisive social issues in his speech to more than 6,000 graduates and some 30,000 of their friends and family members here at one of the nation’s most influential bastions of political and Christian conservatism.

Romney delivers spiritual address at Liberty University, but doesn’t mention Mormonism - The Washington Post

As Blaire pointed out, the Republican proposal aims to change the Child Tax Credit to exclude children of immigrant families, "the large majority of whom are American citizens;" impose cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps), which would affect all poor families and be "a direct threat to their human dignity," according to the bishop; and cut the Social Services Block Grant, "an important source of funding for programs throughout the country" that serve "the homeless, the elderly, people with disabilities, children living in poverty, and abuse victims."

Catholic Bishops Slam Proposed GOP Budget Cuts as 'Immoral'

When I think of Evangelicals, I think of a lack of tolerance, ignorance and homophobia. Republicans say I'm too harsh on them.

Then I remember the Republican debates and "let him die", "applauding executions" "education is for snobs" "abolish the EPA" and "we don't believe in evolution". I think of Republican economic policies and how devastating they've been for this country. I think about all the Americas dead and maimed from Iraq and the cost to the nation that will extend far, far into the future as we have to take care of the tens of thousands maimed for life. I think about Republicans meeting to plan a way to bring down this president before he even served a single day. I think about what they've done to this country in the last three years. I think about the religious police state they clearly want to create while crying for "small government". They only want to the government to stop helping the average American, but they want to police women's bodies and codify discrimination against gay brothers and sisters. I just wonder how this country produced these people? These aren't "American Values". And I think about them taking back control of the government and it scares me. Seems their goal is we "undiscover fire". I just don't understand why.

In the speech, Romney talks about "Christian Values", but if they don't include helping the poor, helping fellow Americans, then where are the values? The largest applause, that brought people to their feet, was "anti gay".

Why can't anyone explain to me why Republicans taking back the government would be a good thing? Can they give us examples of their success from the last 20 years? I would be grateful.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    The phrase "Trust in God not man". means you shouldn't go around idolizing false prophets. Like Obama for instance because look where it's taking us.

Besides, Obama has avoided his Muslim religion. I don't see you complaining about it.

3. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,022
    See what I mean? Your kind had damaged the country terribly.

4. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Why are you so fascinated by Mormons, do you want to convert?

5. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    Impossible! I neither own a Bank nor own a President.

6. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,022
    But you are a lying fool.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,022
    Huh?

8. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    Liberals are always saying that Conservatives are closet Gays because of the criticism and hate.

You must wanna' be a Mormon.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,832
    Imagine a candidate making a speech and not mentioning his differences with his audience.

:lol:

10. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    so?