Liberals love Free Speech

Claiming the high road when you cannot in reality claim it.

That's so liberal.

No, it's so human.

This childish need to blame anything and everything bad on the other "team" while claiming the high ground yourself that is obvious here.

No the point is liberals are known for siliencing speech....they haze republicans or disinvite them at colleges, and god forbid you criticize a protected class......

How is that any different than conservatives calling people RINOs because they don't like what they say? Look at what happened to Steele and Powell. They say some things right doesn't like and suddenly they've been kicked off the plantation.

Expecting partisans to honor something as difficult as intellectual honesty is simply asking too much of the poor unfortunate people..

If they had the horsepower to be intellectually honest they could not be partisans in the first place!

Yes, but that doesn't mean you invite an arsonist to a barn dance.

BTW, how do you know Morehouse President John Silvanus Wilson, Jr. is a Liberal?

Voice of dissent is hardly analogous to an arsonist. Now, if a person is disruptive and infringes on other people's rights and safety, then they should be controlled....such is the case with Occupy Movement.

No, it's so human.

This childish need to blame anything and everything bad on the other "team" while claiming the high ground yourself that is obvious here.

No the point is liberals are known for siliencing speech....they haze republicans or disinvite them at colleges, and god forbid you criticize a protected class......

How is that any different than conservatives calling people RINOs because they don't like what they say? Look at what happened to Steele and Powell. They say some things right doesn't like and suddenly they've been kicked off the plantation.

SEE Joe Lieberman.

SEE Joe Lieberman.

Very convenient. I can remember the Republicans calling him Joe LIEberman. He's just another example of the right's trying to silence those with whom they don't agree.

:clap2:
Of course it is hypocritical.

But the only reason this thread exists is because the OP wants to claim the high road. He is doing exactly what he seeks to condemn.

No the point is liberals are known for sliencing speech..

No, the point is that childish cliches may serve to make you feel superior, but they say more about you than they do about liberals.

And yes, I engage in partisan debate. What I don't do is pretend that either side of the political spectrum has a monopoly on intelligence, politeness or morality.

That's a lie, Saigon. Why are you ad homming me now? Did I upset you? You have zero place to speak.

That's a classic!

:clap:

Yes, but that doesn't mean you invite an arsonist to a barn dance.

BTW, how do you know Morehouse President John Silvanus Wilson, Jr. is a Liberal?

Voice of dissent is hardly analogous to an arsonist. Now, if a person is disruptive and infringes on other people's rights and safety, then they should be controlled....such is the case with Occupy Movement.

They weren't any threat to public safety.

Free speech zones have been used at a variety of political gatherings. The stated purpose of free speech zones is to protect the safety of those attending the political gathering, or for the safety of the protesters themselves. Critics, however, suggest that such zones are "Orwellian",[1][2] and that authorities use them in a heavy-handed manner to censor protesters by putting them literally out of sight of the mass media, hence the public, as well as visiting dignitaries. Though authorities generally deny specifically targeting protesters, on a number of occasions, these denials have been contradicted by subsequent court testimony. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has filed, with various degrees of success and failure, a number of lawsuits on the issue.

The most prominent examples were those created by the United States Secret Service for President George W. Bush and other members of his administration.[3] Free speech zones existed in limited forms prior to the Presidency of George W. Bush; it was during Bush's presidency that their scope was greatly expanded.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone

I'm surprised that the 'constitutionalist' conservatives around here do not know that there is no 1st Amendment right to demand that a university invite you to give a speech there.

Last edited:

Liberals love all things, free and unearned. It's the most common word I hear my liberal acquaintances use. They will drive 10 miles or more out of their way for a free flower or beer or a wine-tasting. Anything free appeals to greedy and uncharitable natures, whether they need or want it.
Sad but true.

At work, I always put a monetary value, even if it is only a dollar, on anything I want to use to attract buyers, rather than freeloaders. :eusa_shhh:

On Dec. 6, 2001, Attorney General John Ashcroft informed the Senate Judiciary Committee, “To those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty … your tactics only aid terrorists, for they erode our national unity and … give ammunition to America’s enemies.” Some commentators feared that Ashcroft’s statement, which was vetted beforehand by top lawyers at the Justice Department, signaled that this White House would take a far more hostile view towards opponents than did recent presidents. And indeed, some Bush administration policies indicate that Ashcroft’s comment was not a mere throwaway line.

When Bush travels around the United States, the Secret Service visits the location ahead of time and orders local police to set up “free speech zones” or “protest zones” where people opposed to Bush policies (and sometimes sign-carrying supporters) are quarantined. These zones routinely succeed in keeping protesters out of presidential sight and outside the view of media covering the event.

?Free-Speech Zone? | The American Conservative

It sure would be nice to have open and welcome debate in our campuses nationwide, but there's no way in hell it's going to happen any time soon. Don't we owe it to our kids to regularly hear both sides of any given issue so that they can learn to think for themselves and make judgments based on their own critical thinking skills?

Woudn't our colleges be the best possible place for this, especially as our kids are becoming adults, preparing to enter the work force and forming opinions?

Amazing to me that I'd even need to ask that one. It also seems to me that if someone is comfortable with and confident in their opinions, they would welcome such an environment.

Guess not, huh?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back