Liberals and Conservatives - Not so different

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
I am a Liberal, from a blue state on the west coast. I'm also 64 and a business owner who has worked all my adult life and never been on public assistance. Many of my business clients are Conservatives from red states such as Georgia and Texas. My clients are good, hard working people, many of whom I'm proud to call my friends. Though we vote for different candidates, we understand the framers of our Constitution did a pretty good job in designing our government. We also understand that our Government is not our enemy, and that without it we would all be poorer and more vulnerable to hostile governments who would seek to victimize us. We focus on our work, provide for our families, and seek to make our communities good places to live.

Maybe it's time for Liberals and Conservatives to stop letting their respective media outlets do their thinking for them, and start thinking for themselves. We're not so different.....

I am a Liberal, from a blue state on the west coast. I'm also 64 and a business owner who has worked all my adult life and never been on public assistance. Many of my business clients are Conservatives from red states such as Georgia and Texas. My clients are good, hard working people, many of whom I'm proud to call my friends. Though we vote for different candidates, we understand the framers of our Constitution did a pretty good job in designing our government. We also understand that our Government is not our enemy, and that without it we would all be poorer and more vulnerable to hostile governments who would seek to victimize us. We focus on our work, provide for our families, and seek to make our communities good places to live.

Maybe it's time for Liberals and Conservatives to stop letting their respective media outlets do their thinking for them, and start thinking for themselves. We're not so different.....
:clap2:

It's long past time, but don't expect this to happen any time soon, sadly. We're stuck in a binary, us vs. them hole right now.

Political partisanship has become part of our identities, an element of our self esteem and our ego.

For those of us who would really like to see this happen, we just have to keep advocating for it.

Tribal Psychology and Political Behavior - Econlib
The Sadness of Partisan Polarizing
The primeval tribalism of American politics
How Politics Breaks Our Brains, and How We Can Put Them Back Together - The Atlantic
The new breed of hyperpartisanship could destroy American democracy.

That's a cute little story - until you factor in the morons.

I guess you wanted to provide an example for the OP, huh?

Back to your peyote digger

Practically everyone I know is a conservative, we get along fine, but I know a couple who are truly hateful stereotypes. Maybe that's how it is everywhere. Everyone just living their lives while the zealots suck all the reason out of country.

There are fundamental differences on policy between the two but the OP is correct.

How do we forget that we are all Americans and that we all love our country?

There are fundamental differences on policy between the two but the OP is correct.

How do we forget that we are all Americans and that we all love our country?
No one talks policy anymore, that's boring, they talk about politicians as if they are the answer to anything.

Forum List

Back