Libel, slander, and the right to arms

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by M14 Shooter, Aug 31, 2012.

1. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    When discussing limitations on the right to arms, many people offer that we have restrictions on things such as libel, slander and yelling fire in a theater; if the right to free speech can be so limited, the right to arms can be similarly limited. Because of this, it is argued, restriction on the simple ownership/possession of a firearm, like licensing, registration, background checks and waiting periods, are all constitutionally permissible.

To then look at the issue..

Libel and slander are not protected by the 1st because they cause harm to others.
    Yelling fire in a theater is not protected by the 1st because it places others in a condition of clear, present and immediate danger.

The question, then:
    What harm does simple ownership/possession of a firearm cause to others?
    How does simple ownership/possession of a firearm place others in a condition of clear, present and immediate danger?

I look forward to your on-on-topic responses.

2. BecauseIKnow

BecauseIKnow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +434
    1. Add Possible
    2. Add Possible

3. M14 Shooter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    Then you fall outside the stated reasoning for the examples provided, which then no longer apply.

It is -specifically- forbidden to limit the exercise of free speech because said exercise MIGHT be slanderous/libelous.

4. BecauseIKnow

BecauseIKnow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +434
    I'm saying they will claim possible harm to others. People shouldn't take guns to theatres but at work, many people work in dangerous areas and till midnight and could have people threatening them so I am all for gun rights, but don't give multiple ar weopons to pyschos

5. M14 Shooter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    Yes... and "possibe" doesn't apply to the rationale given in the OP - there has to be -actual- harm or an imminent danger thereof for the examples to apply.

Every gun owner is a possible murderer just like every woman is a possible prostitute and every man is a possible rapist.

6. BecauseIKnow

BecauseIKnow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +434
    Well I dont see harm ordinary gun owners cause, and I don't think America will ever change gun rights, people will always be allowed to have firearms because it's also such a big business, and republicans get paid by those corporations to not ban guns so republicans will always vote against it. I don't see gun rights going anywhere

7. MeadHallPirate

MeadHallPirate Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    ahoy M14 Shooter,

1) i don't think ownin' a firearm, in and of itself, causes any danger to anyone in particular. this, by the way, be why i think all nations ought to be armed with nuclear weapons...afterall, nukes don't kill people, people kill people, aye?

2) since thar always be the possibility that one mighty use said firearm, i'd say that puts folks who be nearby in clear and present danger. i mean, if i had a bomb strapped to me torso, that also would put all folks 'round me in clear and present danger, i reckon, aye? the very fact that i've the option to detonate the bomb would sorta endanger them who be 'round me.

*bows*

- MeadHallPirate

8. MeadHallPirate

MeadHallPirate Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    ahoy BecauseIKnow,

well said, me hearty.

gun rights are goin' nowhar, that be absolutely accurate. if ye actually look how the skipper hath legislated (two 'o them years coupled with control 'o both houses 'o congress), a fair readin' 'o Mr. Obama would be that he hath presided as one who be conservative on gun issues.

certainly to the right 'o Mr. Reagan, who enthusiastically supported the Brady Bill.

the Brady Campaign hath given Mr. Obama an "F" on gun control.

aye.

- MeadHallPirate

9. M14 Shooter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    Likely, that's because they do not.

How, speficially, does someone owing a firearm next door put you in the same level of danger as someone falsely yelling fire in a theater?

10. MeadHallPirate

MeadHallPirate Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    ahoy M14 Shooter,

well, we agree on one thing matey. owning a nuke, just like ownin' a firearm, does not in and of itself cause folks to be in danger.

falsely yellin' fire in a theater, in me own opinion, doesn't really cause any kinda danger either. 'tis kind 'o a nuisance, more than anythin'. havin' a firearm on ye whilst amongst other swabbys does expose'm to danger, though...fer the person who be armed might use that firearm.

if that firearm still be in a store behind a glass case, 'tis not likely to cause no one much peril.

*salutes*

- MeadHallPirate