How important is energy independence?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Some Guy, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Deregulated User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Mitt brought this up in his speech last night. I'd like to hear some views on this. I'm not an expert, but to me, it seems incredibly important. We're sending billions overseas to countries that would prefer to see us wiped off the map. We're putting millions into green energy initiatives that don't seem close to being able to support the energy demand of this country all alone.

I'm definitely in favor of green energy, but until it can stand on it's own without being artificially propped up via government policy and regulation to limit the production of traditional means (coal, gas, etc), we need to be actively allowing domestic companies to produce and supply coal, gas, nuclear, etc, responsibly of course.

What say you?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,985
    Until some form of power storage more efficent then current batteries or using multi-level fluid potential energy storage than intermittent forms of power such as solar and wind will never be able to take over a portion of our grid's base load.

The big holdout is fusion power, which always seems to be "25 years away." Until then for electrical generation fission based nuclear using the most modern type of reactor possible is the only way to preserve out stocks of fossil fuels.

We should be exploiting our own stocks of fossils as much as possible, along with research into the areas above.

3. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    I'm Pro Independence/Interdependence. We need to stop ignoring Natural Gas, and stop misusing our Natural Resources, including Agriculture/Corn. The more we Centralize, the less control we have, and the more susceptible we are to Centralized Control, Higher Surcharges, Higher Prices, and Rationing. All functioning Coal Plants need to be upgraded, ASAP, not obstructed from doing so. Hydro needs to also be modernized.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,985
    The problem with decentralizing the grid would be wastage when one region has extra power and another is short. Currently you can shunt the high voltage feeds around to keep everything in balance.

The key to improving the grid is the "smart grid" technology. The problem is a possible civil liberty issue, that once installed the power company is real-time transmitted your power consumption.

I do agree with upgrading our existing plants. What needs to be done is remove the regulation that requires a full compliance with new air laws when you even try to do a slight upgrade. Allowing some flexibility with this would allow upgrades to commence without them being cost ineffective.

5. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Extremely important. We need to be able to cease trading with those countries that are our enemies. We also need to have the independence to be able to intervene if they ever decide to manipulate the market. It is also unlikely to ever happen…

How unfortunate.

6. chikenwing

chikenwing Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960
    Just about as important as air

7. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    And using current nuclear. It is sinful the resistance we have to using nuclear. The amount of pollution it creates is miniscule compared with other forms of power generation that we are using right now and the danger is extremely small.

8. Twofox

Twofox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think that developing our own resources will keep alot of the money here., but not all, after all they are still multi-national companies. BUT, we won't be sending it all overseas, so I'm for it.

We have a ton of NG, and while it burns cleaner than gasoline and diesel, it still has known cardinogens.

Corn? Why waste food? Switchgrass is what Brazil is using I believe. There are also other grasses that contain sugars.

Algae can be used to create a workable oil product as I understand it.

So, the plan should be to develop and use our own resources, while setting up conditions so that the private sector will develop new alternatives. X Prize anyone?

9. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,069
    The vast majority of the oil we use in America comes from this hemisphere. Most of it comes from right here in America with the rest coming from Canada, Mexico and Brasil. More importantly, it's a WORLD market for all types of energy. The price is determined by supply and demand around the world. There really is no way to keep profits from Middle Eastern oil producers, not as long as the world demands oil.

Correct. The money being put into green energy is other people's money. The market, the technology...it's coming along but just not there. Eventually, sure, but throwing money at it now is unwise and when the feds do it, unconstitutional.

Yep.

10. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    We must not be at the mercy of OPEC, anybody who remembers the oil embargo in the early 70s knows that.

Other side of the coin is doing better at energy conservation. We gotta do better at reducing consumption.