Lever actions rifles for self defense

if the other guy has a semi--you will be outgunned--fire superiority
especially close range/congested areas

There's a good reason why law-enforcement traded in their S&W Model 10 and 19 and Colt revolvers for 15-round semiautomatic pistols. Same with the carbines most of them carry in their cars nowadays. That all changed after the North Hollywood shooters went on their rampage..

North Hollywood shootout - Wikipedia
also the Miami shootout ...I believe
1986 FBI Miami shootout - Wikipedia

hah
This is my lever-action "home defense" rifle. Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.

Haven't figured out how to mount a bayonet on the end though..

marlin%20336_9b.jpg

duct tape always works,,,

All joking aside, the best home-defense weapon should be able to take a bayonet. If you notice, most rifles in he AR platform still have the bayonet lug on them. Not all, but most. I keep one handy for my AK because nothing says "FUCKYOU" more than a pointy-stabby thing on the end of a shooty thing.

the only problem is in home defense is being able to move around in the house with such a long weapon

Thats easy enough.
As long as you keep it in the high ready position your good.
I can acquire my target every bit as fast with my AR as I can with my FNX .45 tactical.
There's a reason why our military doesn't clear structures with pistols.
hahahahahahahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF--also--along with my other points--you think they are going to go against AKs holding 30 rounds with PISTOLS????!!!!!!!

Last edited:

All joking aside, the best home-defense weapon should be able to take a bayonet. If you notice, most rifles in he AR platform still have the bayonet lug on them. Not all, but most. I keep one handy for my AK because nothing says "FUCKYOU" more than a pointy-stabby thing on the end of a shooty thing.

the only problem is in home defense is being able to move around in the house with such a long weapon

Thats easy enough.
I can acquire my target every bit as fast with my AR as I can with my FNX .45 tactical.
see post # 32

So you were an REMF.
hahahahahahahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF--also--along with my other points--you think they are going to go against AKs with 30 rounds vs PISTOLS????!!!!!!!
DUMBASSES!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

There's a good reason why law-enforcement traded in their S&W Model 10 and 19 and Colt revolvers for 15-round semiautomatic pistols. Same with the carbines most of them carry in their cars nowadays. That all changed after the North Hollywood shooters went on their rampage..

If you are faced with defending your home against guys with fully automatic weapons and wearing plate body armor, I'd have to wonder who you pissed off.

As for clearing a house, a handgun would seem to be an excellent weapons. I don't worry about what is issued to the military, because I have issued my own.

If you are faced with defending your home against guys with fully automatic weapons and wearing plate body armor, I'd have to wonder who you pissed off.

As for clearing a house, a handgun would seem to be an excellent weapons. I don't worry about what is issued to the military, because I have issued my own.
STOP right there!! NO automatic weapons!!!!!!!!! and no body armor !!!!
most [ 99% ] thieves do not use body armor !!!!!!!
and how many people have automatic weapons??
and like I said, if they have semis--you're fked

also---he said the MILITARY used pistols instead of rifles = bullshit
....AND see my other reply--you don't want a pistol if the other guy has an AK/etc rifle with 30 rounds!!

o --my bad I read it wrong--sorry

I know many people on here are enamored of the AR rifles. But in many places there is so much regulation and/or bans that looking for an alternative long gun makes since.

Positives:
1) Come in variety of calibers, including some hard hitting thumpers.
2) Specialty ammo, such as ratshot loads, work just fine in a lever gun.
3) Magazine capacity beats most rifles that don't have a detachable magazine.
4) Can be reloaded without taking the rifles out of readiness.
5) Accurate enough out to 100 yards (more with the newer ammo available).
6) Durable in all conditions. They usually have very strong actions.
7) Misfire or jams are easily cleared.
8) Less likely to cause legal problems or interference from law enforcement.

Negatives:
1) Reloading is slower
2) Firing accurately is slightly slower
3) Lower magazine capacity than modern semi-autos.
4) Not as accurate at greater distances (although I'm not sure this is a big deal for home defense).

I owned an AR some years ago. I built it as a coyote gun. It did the trick wonderfully. And it was fun to shoot. But, being raised watching westerns, I have always loved shooting a lever gun. I only own 2 semi auto rifles. I have a Springfield M1A and a Ruger 10/22. The M1A is a great gun and as accurate as I can take advantage of, for sure. But it is 3.5 inches shy of being 4 feet long (44.33") and weighs over 9 lbs empty. My Marlin 1894 is only 38.5 inches long and weighs 6.5 lbs. It holds 10 rounds of .44 Rem Magnum. Now, if I were on a battlefield, the M1A would be my first choice. But in the house, the Marlin wins for the rifles. I own 3 lever guns. And I would trade any of them.
If I may suggest the MARLIN 444 it only drops 36 in at 360 yards but has a kick that makes you really shocked. It will take down anything walking on the North American ground.

Thats easy enough.
hahhahahahahah-WRONG
they clear with rifles because the majority have rifles--not pistols
hahahhahah
I was in for 8 years---and you?

How many structures did you clear in a combat zone?
And that would depend on what branch you were in.
To add to that if the pistol was a better weapon for clearing structures dont you think they would be issued?
hahahhaha--you are going to use a pistol to shoot someone at 300 yards???!!!
hahahahhahahaha

The problem is, you don't know what whomever is coming through that door is armed with, or how many of them. My first response would be a pistol and a flashlight and if things went south, there's the two pump 12-gauge shotguns with weapon-mounted lights, in different locations. If things went even further south, there's the AK with Magpul furniture, weapon-mounted light, and green laser.

If those didn't do the trick, there's always the lever-action 35 Rem. Marlin in the gun safe. But only if the the assailants have racks of horns on their heads. :biggrin:

The problem is, you don't know what whomever is coming through that door is armed with, or how many of them. My first response would be a pistol and a flashlight and if things went south, there's the two pump 12-gauge shotguns with weapon-mounted lights, in different locations. If things went even further south, there's the AK with Magpul furniture, weapon-mounted light, and green laser.

If those didn't do the trick, there's always the lever-action 35 Rem. Marlin in the gun safe. But only if the the assailants have racks of horns on their heads. :biggrin:
I got 5 shots, better make 'em good! (en la cabeza)
Dammit I should get me 2 semi-auto 20 gauges to sleep with.

Last edited:

Oh right, I forgot about the 2" barreled Colt Cobra .38 Spl in the pocket of the wife's bathrobe.

Think I have too many guns. I keep finding some I forgot about. :laughing0301:

Oh right, I forgot about the 2" barreled Colt Cobra .38 Spl in the pocket of the wife's bathrobe.

That's about what I'm working with now, .38 Special
A 20 gauge in each hand be better, no?

That's about what I'm working with now, .38 Special
A 20 gauge in each hand be better, no?

If I could hold a pistol with my dick, I'd be one bad sumbitch.

marlin%20336_9b.jpg
Use Duk tape to put a knife on the end of it. Most of the time just pull the trigger.

Looks about the same age as my Model 60. My favorite gun, hands down.
I grew up with that. Yeah, it doesn't cycle Stingers too good, but Mini Mags all day. What more does a cracker need?
I could take a deer with it easy. Been shooting rabbits at a full run in the head since I was 11. The instant shutdown makes the meat better.

Last edited:

....AND see my other reply--you don't want a pistol if the other guy has an AK/etc rifle with 30 rounds!!

No, thieves do not usually use body armor. And my point was that when I started this thread it was about a firearm for home defense. I don't worry my much about defending my home against such. But someone coming into MY home could easily be stopped with a lever gun.

marlin%20336_9b.jpg
Use Duk tape to put a knife on the end of it. Most of the time just pull the trigger.

What? Use some duct tape to mount a bayonet on the end of my dick?

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks. :biggrin:

No, thieves do not usually use body armor. And my point was that when I started this thread it was about a firearm for home defense. I don't worry my much about defending my home against such. But someone coming into MY home could easily be stopped with a lever gun.

Body armor is easily available. I have three sets of it that I found at some garage sales. Why did I buy them? Well because they were cheap and worth more than I gave for them. Not that I'd ever use them for anything other than a defensive purpose. Body armor is legal to own for us law-abiding citizens, but the law prohibits felons from possessing carriers with ballistic panels. Of course, laws never stopped criminals and felons, ya know.

Forum List

Back