Let's Reward Chicago's Dumbest Students With A Laptop!

Bullfighter

Rookie
Jun 10, 2010
A Laptop in Every Pot:

Gery Chico's Promises to Chicago Public Schools

By Carol Felsenthal
At a news conference Tuesday, mayoral candidate Gery Chico offered so much good stuff to students and their parents that it’s hard to imagine why any voter with a child, grandchild, niece, or nephew in the Chicago public schools wouldn’t vote for him.

Here’s some of what Chico is offering:
  • Laptops for all
  • School days extended by two hours—a boon to working parents
  • School year extended by 25 days
  • Full-day kindergarten
  • Preschool for all three- and four-year-olds
I asked him on Thursday how he plans to pay for all this.
“The first place I would look is in the textbook budget that we have today, which is tens of millions of dollars,” Chico said. Sleek laptops would replace the universally despised tomes. Though he held up an Apple MacBookPro at the news conference, he said the computers he plans to offer—first to high school students, next to first- through eighth-graders—could be Apples, Dells, or another brand. By the end of his first term, every student would have a state-of-the-art laptop to bring to class and to take home. “If I can do it sooner, I’ll do it sooner.”

Chico said he hopes that those nice people at Apple, who renovated the dingy North and Clybourn stop on the Red Line abutting the new Apple store, might want to kick in some money. “This would be the largest bulk purchase of hardware maybe in the history of education, and so you’re darn right we would have direct conversations with manufacturers.” Asked if he has heard yet from the likes of Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, he said, “No, not yet, but they will [call].”

His second step to pay for his proposed items would be to cut the central office staff by a third. “In the HR department when I was there [as board president from 1995-2001], it was about 90 people. Today it’s about 170 to 180, with fewer employees to manage.”

Chico told me that the feedback—particularly to the laptop part of his plan—has been ecstatic. “I walk down the street, and strangers shout, ‘Chico, great idea on the laptops.’”

I asked him about the student who gets jumped walking home with his computer, or the kid whose home life is so unstable that the laptop disappears in a drug deal. “I have more faith than that—in our parents and our kids. You’re going to have a certain percentage of loss, but that doesn’t mean we don’t do the program. We have to aspire to be better.”
“Has anyone accused you of offering a bribe?” I asked. “A laptop for a vote?”

“I’m not trying to pander to anybody,” Chico said. “I’m trying to make schools in this city the best in the country, and you’re not going to get there by namby-pamby, band-aid approaches.”

Chico’s opinions about the bloated bureaucracy at CPS were a surprise to Mayor Daley, who said Thursday: “He never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever mentioned that to me.” Asked if he had read Chico’s plan to revamp the schools, Daley snapped, “I have better things to do.” The mayor’s response was quite a turn from what he said about Chico in a September interview just after announcing his retirement. He had called Chico “a wonderful public servant” who was “closer to [him] than anyone else.”
Later on Thursday, Chico called another press conference and credited Daley for doing a “tremendous job” for Chicago. But the candidate held his ground: “This isn’t about Mayor Daley or any one person. I stand on my own two feet. If it ruffles feathers, what am I going to do about it?”

A Laptop in Every Pot: Gery Chico's Promises to Chicago Public Schools - Felsenthal Files - November 2010

-------------------------------------------------

Only the most corrupt of politicians would tangle a free laptop in front of the parents of some of the dumbest students in America. I guess Chico feels he can grease his way into the Office of Mayor of Chicago with this stunt. And look at the extra 2 hours of free baby sitting he is giving the parents of those bandit babies from south of the border.

What next: Small arms and explosives training for the invading third world students under the Dream Act?

The longer school day is not a bad idea at all. Also having more school days throughout the year. All day kindergarten would be a plus too, as well as preschool. Kids have a lot to learn these days and there just isn't enough time in the day to get it all in.

If he was able to provide the laptops, perhaps the parents would be required to buy special insurance for them (through the school, similar to the accident policies they peddle), in case of damage or loss. I think the kids would be more inclined to learn from the laptops than textbooks. I know my granddaughters spend a lot of time on the computer, and enjoy it.

Maybe it would be a better idea to try this idea in one or two schools and see how it works out instead of flooding the whole school system with them.

• Banned
The longer school day is not a bad idea at all. Also having more school days throughout the year. All day kindergarten would be a plus too, as well as preschool. Kids have a lot to learn these days and there just isn't enough time in the day to get it all in.

If he was able to provide the laptops, perhaps the parents would be required to buy special insurance for them (through the school, similar to the accident policies they peddle), in case of damage or loss. I think the kids would be more inclined to learn from the laptops than textbooks. I know my granddaughters spend a lot of time on the computer, and enjoy it.

Maybe it would be a better idea to try this idea in one or two schools and see how it works out instead of flooding the whole school system with them.

I went to school BEFORE the invention of the calculator. I actually had to learn to do math the hard way.:(

There is no way poor parents will be asked to pay for an insurance policy. So what will happen is the laptops will be mishandled and broken or sold for drugs and the kids will just get a new one. Anyone wanna place a wager?

It's Chicago. They will pay the most money for the worst computers they can. They will not have the staff to service them or pay for the software necessary to keep them current. There will be 'glitches' in the wi-fi and kids will be wild when not available.

Even in the suburbs, where money is not such a problem, much less problematic student behavior, they do not have programs where students are given a laptop. Many AP classes have assigned notebooks to students, but they remain in the classroom, not with the student. The schools have 'rented' the notebooks and servicing remains with the company. Then again, compared to Chicago B of E, the suburbs are quite clean when it comes to contracts.

• Banned
It's Chicago. They will pay the most money for the worst computers they can. They will not have the staff to service them or pay for the software necessary to keep them current. There will be 'glitches' in the wi-fi and kids will be wild when not available.

Even in the suburbs, where money is not such a problem, much less problematic student behavior, they do not have programs where students are given a laptop. Many AP classes have assigned notebooks to students, but they remain in the classroom, not with the student. The schools have 'rented' the notebooks and servicing remains with the company. Then again, compared to Chicago B of E, the suburbs are quite clean when it comes to contracts.

But your forgetting something.

LA RAZA is "the master race" and Gery Chico is LA RAZA.:bowdown:

Chicago??...Third World Hell Hole. Nuff said. :(

i'm from chicago, i think it's a good idea everywhere

Ok, why? And how?

hi annie, i believe in education, people can't help where they're born. you'd have to have seen cabrini green. the "dumbest" (don't mind bullshitter, it's his word and he's a neanderthal) or more apt "least educated" should get any access to information, regardless of politics, to help pull themselves out of squalor.
my brother said an interesting thing one time, he said "instead of dropping bombs on iraq we should have bombarded them with laptops and blackberries and other instruments of communication and education, then let it run it's course"
it hasn't worked with iran yet, but they are better for having "facebook for instance". i didn't read edwardo carrochios text, but the headline premise is a good one.
i'm trying to figure out why the mexican hater, uses "bullfighter"... unless maybe he too is a mexican, or wishes he was. either way, the boat has sailed on communicating with him.

Last edited:
Longer school days, cool.
Longer school years, cooler yet. (In Japan summer vacation is two weeks. Here in Oregon they are talking of letting the kids out in May. And we start in September)

Laptops are available at best buy for under $500, and they all have wi fi.

If the parents are serious, they can get their own laptops. Otherwise, schools can be open an extra couple hours for supervised use on school machines. If they schools are open for band and gym, they can be open for library.

Longer school days, cool.
Longer school years, cooler yet. (In Japan summer vacation is two weeks. Here in Oregon they are talking of letting the kids out in May. And we start in September)

Laptops are available at best buy for under $500, and they all have wi fi.

If the parents are serious, they can get their own laptops. Otherwise, schools can be open an extra couple hours for supervised use on school machines. If they schools are open for band and gym, they can be open for library.

you are wise baruch, i went to school in eugene.

We'll have to see how well tested the clout of the Chicago Teacher's union will be.
I say, the union bosses will do everything in their power to stop the longer school days as well as the extended Kindergarten hours.
This proposal(free laptops) comes straight out of la la land.

i'm from chicago, i think it's a good idea everywhere

Ok, why? And how?

hi annie, i believe in education, people can't help where they're born. you'd have to have seen cabrini green. the "dumbest" (don't mind bullshitter, it's his word and he's a neanderthal) or more apt "least educated" should get any access to information, regardless of politics, to help pull themselves out of squalor.
my brother said an interesting thing one time, he said "instead of dropping bombs on iraq we should have bombarded them with laptops and blackberries and other instruments of communication and education, then let it run it's course"
it hasn't worked with iran yet, but they are better for having "facebook for instance". i didn't read edwardo carrochios text, but the headline premise is a good one.
i'm trying to figure out why the mexican hater, uses "bullfighter"... unless maybe he too is a mexican, or wishes he was. either way, the boat has sailed on communicating with him.

The laptops should have NO internet access. The kids would spend their school days rat tat tatting away on such brainless sites as facebook and other waste of time sites.
Plus, in order to have a school with 3,000 laptops on a WiFi network, the school system would have to build mega- sites due the extremely heavy use of bandwidth. This construction would be cost prohibitive creating a need to boost property taxes. When taxes go up, people with the means, sell out and flee to the suburbs. This would further erode Chicago's already weak tax base. Those left behind would see even higher taxes.
This proposal just does not work. Too expensive.

We'll have to see how well tested the clout of the Chicago Teacher's union will be.
I say, the union bosses will do everything in their power to stop the longer school days as well as the extended Kindergarten hours.

not true, the part about lala land.
no strings attached , no conditions bulletproof cheap replaceable bright colored laptops,
100 bucks apeice, gov pick up the tab, finally well spent stimulus $$$

everything else in this box is gold. especially about the grandaughters, so true...

not true, the part about lala land.
no strings attached , no conditions bulletproof cheap replaceable bright colored laptops,
100 bucks apeice, gov pick up the tab, finally well spent stimulus $$$

everything else in this box is gold. especially about the grandaughters, so true...

Government picks up NOTHING.. The taxpayers will foot the bill. No way will a $100 laptop be a machine that will last or be usable for anything but the most rudimentary functions.
This would not e stimulus. It would be "porkulus"....Stimulus money is supposed to be for creating private sector jobs. Not giving gifts to kids. And trust me, than a free laptop will only encourage kids to feel entitled to even more taxpayer funded goodies.

Forum List

Back