Let's play, "Cite the attack"

Indofred,

I understand that you're frustrated at my tearing your 'evidence' to shreads, but don't it personally, eh.

China may well be completely reliant on Iranian oil, but that wasn't what you posited. You claimed, with a conspicuously contradictory source, the Daily Mail, that China has "sided with Iran." Your source said nothing of the sort, otherwise you'd have returned with irrefutable evidence from your source that says it had. What your source reported was that Russia and China have simply warned against the possible consequences war with Iran would entail. None of those consequences implied in the slightest that Russia and China would retaliate on Iran's behalf.

Re. the pacific rim, Australia and those "12 miles" you speak of. I've got no Idea what you're drivelling on about, I'm afraid.

Taiwan may be "claimed" by China, but it's still recognised by the UN as a sovereign nation, seperate from the People's Republic of China (they even represented themselves in the London Olympics). China has no business whatsoever in the dealings between two sovereign nations (U.S. & Taiwan). And Taiwan retain their sovereignty voluntarily. They want nothing to do with China. So, on account of those facts I've listed, how does a contract between the U.S. and Taiwan interfere with Chinese interests?

China is a massive investor in Iranian oil.
China supplies arms to Iran
Iran is being threatened by the US.
That's easy enough to work out.

Taiwan may be considered a nation by the UN but China doesn't see it that way.
US bases there put the US in direct conflict with China, regardless of what the UN says.

As for the 12 miles. You need to educate yourself. The US, as is pretty common, claims waters 12 miles from it's coast. I think Australian and Taiwan may be a little further out.

The rules:

You have to give an example of an attack on the US, it's military or US interests that wasn't the result of US intervention in some area and I have to prove it was caused by US interference.

The American civil war doesn't count as it was American on American.

I'll accept Pearl harbour as a given.

Who would like to go first? :)

Iraq!

oh wait...Iraq never attacked us...ever.

Viet Nam!

ummm...nope

Korea!

urk!

Iran! They took hostages! That wasnt our fault right?

huh? whats a Shah?

nm....Im tired.

Come on people. Terrorist attacks against the united states, it's military or it's interests.
Name one that wasn't the result of the US sticking it's fat nose where it wasn't wanted ... if you can.

I think you're really going to have problems here.
None of them was the result of U.S. policies. All of them were the results of terrorist actions. This looks like trolling.

Ner.
It looks like education.
The thing is, if there have been any attacks on the US that weren't a result of US interference, they're aren't many.

No one in the US seems to realise this so a thread of this nature makes posters hunt for an example in order to beat me with my own stick.

Because they have so much trouble trying to find one, hopefully they'll realise US policy is normally the cause of someone wanting to attack US interests.

Look at the pathetic attempts do dig out examples so far and ask if I'm right. :)

Your OP and this ^ are ass backwards though.

We were, at one time, very isolationist. How did that work out….

Simply put, America is the most powerful country on the face of the planet. That position is due to its economic power, something that is essentially IMPOSSIBLE to have without connections all across the globe. There is not one single country where they are not impacted through trade, international aid or involved with many of our allies/partners. The same exists for MANY of the international players. You think that China does not have similar connections?

The world is not some segregated place where you can operate with no connections to other nations, unless of course you want to operate in abject poverty. Give it up, we are not targeted because of our international relations and we should never pull those relations back even when we are. That is poor logic.

None of them was the result of U.S. policies. All of them were the results of terrorist actions. This looks like trolling.

Ner.
It looks like education.
The thing is, if there have been any attacks on the US that weren't a result of US interference, they're aren't many.

No one in the US seems to realise this so a thread of this nature makes posters hunt for an example in order to beat me with my own stick.

Because they have so much trouble trying to find one, hopefully they'll realise US policy is normally the cause of someone wanting to attack US interests.

Look at the pathetic attempts do dig out examples so far and ask if I'm right. :)

Your OP and this ^ are ass backwards though.

We were, at one time, very isolationist. How did that work out….

Simply put, America is the most powerful country on the face of the planet. That position is due to its economic power, something that is essentially IMPOSSIBLE to have without connections all across the globe. There is not one single country where they are not impacted through trade, international aid or involved with many of our allies/partners. The same exists for MANY of the international players. You think that China does not have similar connections?

The world is not some segregated place where you can operate with no connections to other nations, unless of course you want to operate in abject poverty. Give it up, we are not targeted because of our international relations and we should never pull those relations back even when we are. That is poor logic.

Exactly. American is not only the most powerful country on the face of the planet, but also has long been the most affluent and prosperous and productive and buys a lot of foreign stuff making it extremely attractive as a trading partner and as an investor in foreign enterprise. But America's economic activity that blesses so much of the world also creates American interests in most of the world. And and that creates incentive for America to protect those interests when they are compromised or threatened.

It is instructive that America is doing business in no place where that business was not soliited and wanted.

So to blame America for all the stupidity, hatefulness, and presumed retaliation is quite questionable.

. They want nothing to do with China.

That's overstating it. Taiwan and China have increasingly close economic ties, and there have been efforts on both sides (off and on) at developing better diplomatic and political relations.

Come on people. Terrorist attacks against the united states, it's military or it's interests.
Name one that wasn't the result of the US sticking it's fat nose where it wasn't wanted ... if you can.

I think you're really going to have problems here.

Ner.
It looks like education.

There just hasn't BEEN a lot of attacks on the US or it's interests. So you're little quiz show doesn't really show for a lot of our lost lives and money.. Conflicts like Korea and Vietnam and Kosovo don't even make the list..

That's why when you're done here -- you might want to turn it around and ask what countries we've BOMBED and VIOLATED that were NOT CAUSED by foreign aggression or instigation.. THAT list is a lot longer...

That aspirin factory in Khartoum comes to mind. Cambodia before -- Libya recently. And a good argument for Pakistan is there as well. Does Panama count?

The rules:

You have to give an example of an attack on the US, it's military or US interests that wasn't the result of US intervention in some area and I have to prove it was caused by US interference.

The American civil war doesn't count as it was American on American.

I'll accept Pearl harbour as a given.

Who would like to go first? :)

Iraq!

oh wait...Iraq never attacked us...ever.

Viet Nam!

ummm...nope

Korea!

urk!

Iran! They took hostages! That wasnt our fault right?

huh? whats a Shah?

nm....Im tired.

Empty head=echo chamber

Ner.
It looks like education.

There just hasn't BEEN a lot of attacks on the US or it's interests. So you're little quiz show doesn't really show for a lot of our lost lives and money.. Conflicts like Korea and Vietnam and Kosovo don't even make the list..

That's why when you're done here -- you might want to turn it around and ask what countries we've BOMBED and VIOLATED that were NOT CAUSED by foreign aggression or instigation.. THAT list is a lot longer...

That aspirin factory in Khartoum comes to mind. Cambodia before -- Libya recently. And a good argument for Pakistan is there as well. Does Panama count?

That was to be, and may still be, the next thread.

However, I'm chillin on a tropical beach for a couple of days so I won't post much.

Ner.
It looks like education.

Cambodia provided staging facilities for the VC and NVA. Of course that's foreign aggression.
Libya was the target because they were engaged in slaughtering their own citizens. Our actions were to stop that and protect human rights. You're in favor of human rights, right?

Cambodia provided staging facilities for the VC and NVA. Of course that's foreign aggression.

And how did that endanger the US mainland or perhaps you could list attacks on the United states by those groups.

Libya was the target because they were engaged in slaughtering their own citizens. Our actions were to stop that and protect human rights. You're in favor of human rights, right?

The Libyan leader was clearly an idiot but the US started the whole thing because they wanted cheaper oil.
Had that not been the case, there would never have been any attacks on US citizens.
I'm not saying he was right, he clearly wasn't, but the cause was still US interference.
The 1981 incident hardly helped matter either.
The US is a long way from Libya but Ron Raygun decided it was his job to put Libya in it's place.

And how did that endanger the US mainland or perhaps you could list attacks on the United states by those groups.

The Libyan leader was clearly an idiot but the US started the whole thing because they wanted cheaper oil.
Had that not been the case, there would never have been any attacks on US citizens.
I'm not saying he was right, he clearly wasn't, but the cause was still US interference.
The 1981 incident hardly helped matter either.
The US is a long way from Libya but Ron Raygun decided it was his job to put Libya in it's place.

Moving teh goalposts? Cambodia's actions put the lives of US soldiers at risk. Are you OK with US soldiers getting killed?
The US did not "start the whole thing because it wanted cheaper oil." That's just plain childish.

"Turkish newspaper urges that the United States be listed in Guinness Book of World Records as the Country with the Most Foreign Interventions."

While a bit off topic (?) I thought the quote above and this article interesting.

'One of the most dangerous ideas of the 20th century was that "people like us" could not commit atrocities against civilians.' History of U.S. Military Interventions since 1890

'One of the most dangerous ideas of the 20th century was that "people like us" could not commit atrocities against civilians.'

'German and Japanese citizens believed it, but their militaries slaughtered millions of people.
British and French citizens believed it, but their militaries fought brutal colonial wars in Africa and Asia.
Russian citizens believed it, but their armies murdered civilians in Afghanistan, Chechnya, and elsewhere.
Israeli citizens believed it, but their army mowed down Palestinians and Lebanese.
Arabs believed it, but suicide bombers and hijackers targeted U.S. and Israeli civilians.
U.S. citizens believed it, but their military killed hundreds of thousands in Vietnam, Iraq, and elsewhere.'

Last edited:
Ner.
It looks like education.

I'm not convinced that our willingness to kill on the behalf of folks we don't know - actually promotes Human Rights. We step into these conflicts without ANY ASSURANCE of the power structure that will result.. It would be different if a dissident Govt was FORMED and we recognized it and could WORK WITH IT to ASSURE better outcomes. But all we're doing in throwing random punches in a bar fight as far as intervening in "Arab Springs"..

That's why Franklin went to France to both whore around and appeal directly on the behalf of American patriots.. We got their help AND a strange Green Statue out of that deal. And they got a partnership that they could negotiate with..

Ner.
It looks like education.

Not a lot of attacks? I dunno. What do you think. Is this list a "lot"? Or not? (Acknowledging that everything on the list was not influenced by non-American interests; and some have never been fully solved.)

1837 - Elijah P. Lovejoy, editor of an abolitionist newspaper, the "Alton Observer", killed by a mob of pro-slavery advocates.
1881 - James A. Garfield, 20th US President, is shot in Washington by Charles J. Guiteau
1890 - David Hennessy, Police Chief of New Orleans is shot, allegedly by the Mafia.
1901 - William McKinley, 25th US President is shot in Buffalo, New York State by anarchist Leon Czolgosz, and dies eight days later.
1910 - The Los Angeles Times bombing by union activists kills 21 and injures some 100.
1915 - RMS Lusitania is torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-20 off Ireland. 128 US nationals killed.
1919 - The 1919 United States anarchist bombings, carried out by anarchist followers of Luigi Galleani, failed to kill any of their intended targets.
1920 - The Wall Street bombing kill 28 and seriously injures 143.
1927 - The Bath School disaster in Bath Township, Michigan killed 45 and wounded 58, mostly children. The perpetrator, Andrew Kehoe, blew himself up.
1950 - Griselio Torresola and Oscar Collazo, members of the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party fail to assassinate President Harry S. Truman at Blair House in Washington, D.C. on November 1, 1950.
1954 - United States Capitol shooting incident on March 1. Four Puerto Rican nationalists, led by Lolita Lebrón shoot and injure five members of the United States House of Representatives during an immigration debate.
1963 - 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama, committed by the Ku Klux Klan. Four African-American girls are killed on Sunday morning.
1963 - John F. Kennedy assassination committed by Lee Harvey Oswald who killed President John F. Kennedy. Lee Harvey Oswald was killed on November 24, 1963 by Jack Ruby.
1970 - The first mass aircraft hijackings occurred in 1970, the so-called Dawson's Field hijackings, when the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine seized control of two American planes and one Swiss airliner, all bound from Europe to the United States, to punish the United States for supporting Israel. The Pan Am, TWA and Swissair planes were blown up on the ground in Jordan and Egypt.
1975 - The Puerto Rican nationalist FALN bombs Fraunces Tavern in New York City on January 24, killing four and injuring more than 50.
1975 - Central Intelligence Agency's Athens station chief was shot by Revolutionary Organization 17 November. The group has committed further assassinations, often using a .45 calibre handgun, and around fifty other attacks. Initial attacks were aimed at American and Greek officials but the range of operations was expanded in the 1980s and 1990s to include bombings and European Union targets.
1979 - United States Embassy in Pakistan attacked by mob mistakenly blaming the US for radical Islamic faction hostage crisis in Mecca.
1983 - Bombing at United States Embassy in Beirut, April 18, 1983. 63 people, including 17 Americans, are killed.
1983 - Beirut barracks bombing, October 23, 1983. 305 people, including 241 US servicemen, are killed by 2 suicide bombers.
1983 - On November 7, the Armed Resistance Unit, a militant leftist group, bombs the U.S. Capitol in response to the U.S. invasion of Grenada.
1984 - Twenty-two people were killed (two of them American) and seventy were wounded when a van loaded with four hundred pounds of explosives exploded in front of the U.S. Embassy annex in Awkar, Lebanon. Islamic Jihad (code name of Hezbollah) claimed responsibility for the bombing in a call to the media.
1985 - TWA Flight 847 hijacked, U.S. Navy diver is killed by Hezbollah.
1985 - Achille Lauro hijacking, wheel-chair bound American killed by Palestinian militants.
1986 - Four Americans were killed and five Americans were injured when a bomb exploded aboard TWA Flight 840 as it traveled from Rome to Athens. The aircraft was able to land safely at Athens International Airport.
1986 - On April 6, a Berlin discotheque bombing killed a Turkish woman and 2 US servicemen and injured 230 people, including more than 50 American servicemen.
1987 - A car bomb exploded outside the back gate of the U.S. Embassy in Rome and mortars were fired at the compound from across the street. One passerby was injured in the attacks.
1988 - On April 14 at 8 p.m., a car bomb exploded in front of the USO Club in Naples, Italy. Five people died and fifteen were injured, including four U.S. servicemen who were injured and US Navy Petty Officer Angela Santos, 21, was killed. Junzo Okudaira, a Japanese Red Army (JRA) member, was indicted in the United States on April 9, 1993 for the Naples bombing. Okudaira is also a suspect in the June 1987 car bombing and mortar attack against the U.S. Embassy in Rome.
1988 - Pan Am Flight 103, outbound from London for New York with 259 people aboard, was destroyed by a bomb on December 21, 1988 while over Lockerbie, Scotland. All aboard the aircraft were killed as were eleven persons on the ground.
1993 - World Trade Center bombing, February 26: 6 killed, 1,042 injured.
1993 - Attack at CIA Headquarters in McLean, Virginia, January 25: 2 killed, 3 injured.
1995 - Killing of two US Diplomats in Pakistan, March 8.
1995 - Oklahoma City bombing, 168 killed, over 800 injured. April 19.
1996 - Khobar Towers bombing: 19 American servicemen killed.
1998 - US embassy bombings: U.S. Kenya Embassy blown up, 214 killed (including 12 Americans); U.S. Tanzania Embassy blown up, 11 killed.
2000 - USS Cole attacked, 17 U.S. Navy sailors killed, 39 sailors injured.
2001 - September 11, 2001 attacks, 2,997 killed;
2002 - Reporter Daniel Pearl, kidnapped and beheaded in Karachi.
2002 - Nine people killed by bomb blast near US embassy in Lima - seen as attempt to disrupt forthcoming visit by President George W. Bush.
2002-2006 - Karachi consulate attacks: three separate attacks killed 18 people (including an American diplomat) and injured 87.
2002 - Two Marines shot, one killed in Kuwait.
2003 - Riyadh Compound Bombings kill 9 Americans, among 35 others.
2003 - Rachel Corrie is run over and killed by an Israel Defense Forces bulldozer. Corrie was defending a home in Gaza from demolition.
2003 - Three American diplomats are killed by a roadside bomb targeting their convoy in Gaza. Palestine Resistance Committees, an umbrella organization has taken responsibility for the attack."[1]
2003–present - Damascus terrorist attacks: American interests in Syria targeted by Islamists.
2004 - Civilians Nick Berg, Jack Hensley, and Eugene Armstrong kidnapped and beheaded in Iraq.
2004 - Paul Marshall Johnson, Jr, civilian working in Saudi Arabia, kidnapped and beheaded; five other Americans die in attacks in Saudi Arabia in 2004.
2007 - American embassy attacked in Athens, Greece.
2008 - John Granville, US diplomat, assassinated in Khartoum, Sudan
List of assassinations and acts of terrorism against Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

I'm not convinced that our willingness to kill on the behalf of folks we don't know - actually promotes Human Rights. We step into these conflicts without ANY ASSURANCE of the power structure that will result.. It would be different if a dissident Govt was FORMED and we recognized it and could WORK WITH IT to ASSURE better outcomes. But all we're doing in throwing random punches in a bar fight as far as intervening in "Arab Springs"..

That's why Franklin went to France to both whore around and appeal directly on the behalf of American patriots.. We got their help AND a strange Green Statue out of that deal. And they got a partnership that they could negotiate with..

You can ask the Poles, Czechs and Hungarians how U.S intervention worked for them. Similarly the Iraqis, especially the Kurds there.
And you can ask the Vietnamese and Cambodians how things worked out when we left.

Ner.
It looks like education.

Not a lot of attacks? I dunno. What do you think. Is this list a "lot"? Or not? (Acknowledging that everything on the list was not influenced by non-American interests; and some have never been fully solved.)

1837 - Elijah P. Lovejoy, editor of an abolitionist newspaper, the "Alton Observer", killed by a mob of pro-slavery advocates.
1881 - James A. Garfield, 20th US President, is shot in Washington by Charles J. Guiteau
1890 - David Hennessy, Police Chief of New Orleans is shot, allegedly by the Mafia.
1901 - William McKinley, 25th US President is shot in Buffalo, New York State by anarchist Leon Czolgosz, and dies eight days later.
1910 - The Los Angeles Times bombing by union activists kills 21 and injures some 100.
1915 - RMS Lusitania is torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-20 off Ireland. 128 US nationals killed.
1919 - The 1919 United States anarchist bombings, carried out by anarchist followers of Luigi Galleani, failed to kill any of their intended targets.
1927 - The Bath School disaster in Bath Township, Michigan killed 45 and wounded 58, mostly children. The perpetrator, Andrew Kehoe, blew himself up.
1950 - Griselio Torresola and Oscar Collazo, members of the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party fail to assassinate President Harry S. Truman at Blair House in Washington, D.C. on November 1, 1950.
1954 - United States Capitol shooting incident on March 1. Four Puerto Rican nationalists, led by Lolita Lebrón shoot and injure five members of the United States House of Representatives during an immigration debate.
1963 - 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama, committed by the Ku Klux Klan. Four African-American girls are killed on Sunday morning.
1963 - John F. Kennedy assassination committed by Lee Harvey Oswald who killed President John F. Kennedy. Lee Harvey Oswald was killed on November 24, 1963 by Jack Ruby.
1970 - The first mass aircraft hijackings occurred in 1970, the so-called Dawson's Field hijackings, when the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine seized control of two American planes and one Swiss airliner, all bound from Europe to the United States, to punish the United States for supporting Israel. The Pan Am, TWA and Swissair planes were blown up on the ground in Jordan and Egypt.
1975 - The Puerto Rican nationalist FALN bombs Fraunces Tavern in New York City on January 24, killing four and injuring more than 50.
1975 - Central Intelligence Agency's Athens station chief was shot by Revolutionary Organization 17 November. The group has committed further assassinations, often using a .45 calibre handgun, and around fifty other attacks. Initial attacks were aimed at American and Greek officials but the range of operations was expanded in the 1980s and 1990s to include bombings and European Union targets.
1979 - United States Embassy in Pakistan attacked by mob mistakenly blaming the US for radical Islamic faction hostage crisis in Mecca.
1983 - Bombing at United States Embassy in Beirut, April 18, 1983. 63 people, including 17 Americans, are killed.
1983 - Beirut barracks bombing, October 23, 1983. 305 people, including 241 US servicemen, are killed by 2 suicide bombers.
1983 - On November 7, the Armed Resistance Unit, a militant leftist group, bombs the U.S. Capitol in response to the U.S. invasion of Grenada.
1984 - Twenty-two people were killed (two of them American) and seventy were wounded when a van loaded with four hundred pounds of explosives exploded in front of the U.S. Embassy annex in Awkar, Lebanon. Islamic Jihad (code name of Hezbollah) claimed responsibility for the bombing in a call to the media.
1985 - Achille Lauro hijacking, wheel-chair bound American killed by Palestinian militants.
1986 - Four Americans were killed and five Americans were injured when a bomb exploded aboard TWA Flight 840 as it traveled from Rome to Athens. The aircraft was able to land safely at Athens International Airport.
1986 - On April 6, a Berlin discotheque bombing killed a Turkish woman and 2 US servicemen and injured 230 people, including more than 50 American servicemen.
1987 - A car bomb exploded outside the back gate of the U.S. Embassy in Rome and mortars were fired at the compound from across the street. One passerby was injured in the attacks.
1988 - On April 14 at 8 p.m., a car bomb exploded in front of the USO Club in Naples, Italy. Five people died and fifteen were injured, including four U.S. servicemen who were injured and US Navy Petty Officer Angela Santos, 21, was killed. Junzo Okudaira, a Japanese Red Army (JRA) member, was indicted in the United States on April 9, 1993 for the Naples bombing. Okudaira is also a suspect in the June 1987 car bombing and mortar attack against the U.S. Embassy in Rome.
1988 - Pan Am Flight 103, outbound from London for New York with 259 people aboard, was destroyed by a bomb on December 21, 1988 while over Lockerbie, Scotland. All aboard the aircraft were killed as were eleven persons on the ground.
1993 - Attack at CIA Headquarters in McLean, Virginia, January 25: 2 killed, 3 injured.
1998 - US embassy bombings: U.S. Kenya Embassy blown up, 214 killed (including 12 Americans); U.S. Tanzania Embassy blown up, 11 killed.
2002 - Nine people killed by bomb blast near US embassy in Lima - seen as attempt to disrupt forthcoming visit by President George W. Bush.
2002-2006 - Karachi consulate attacks: three separate attacks killed 18 people (including an American diplomat) and injured 87.
2003 - Rachel Corrie is run over and killed by an Israel Defense Forces bulldozer. Corrie was defending a home in Gaza from demolition.
2003 - Three American diplomats are killed by a roadside bomb targeting their convoy in Gaza. Palestine Resistance Committees, an umbrella organization has taken responsibility for the attack."[1]
2003–present - Damascus terrorist attacks: American interests in Syria targeted by Islamists.
2004 - Civilians Nick Berg, Jack Hensley, and Eugene Armstrong kidnapped and beheaded in Iraq.
2004 - Paul Marshall Johnson, Jr, civilian working in Saudi Arabia, kidnapped and beheaded; five other Americans die in attacks in Saudi Arabia in 2004.
List of assassinations and acts of terrorism against Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite frankly -- the list sucks.. The KKK? JFK? Anarchists? Rachael Corey? I think you left out the attack by the Island of Ice on the Titantic..

Need to pare that down to attacks by Foreign entities at least. And maybe NOT leave out the important ones. Like the plot against Bush Sr while visiting the Mideast and the seizure of our embassy in Tehran or the recent pirate attacks off of Somalia..

Really -- better lists NEED to be made.. If we're gonna play --- "Name That Agression"....

Quite frankly -- the list sucks.. The KKK? JFK? Anarchists? Rachael Corey? I think you left out the attack by the Island of Ice on the Titantic..

Need to pare that down to attacks by Foreign entities at least. And maybe NOT leave out the important ones. Like the plot against Bush Sr while visiting the Mideast and the seizure of our embassy in Tehran or the recent pirate attacks off of Somalia..

Really -- better lists NEED to be made.. If we're gonna play --- "Name That Agression"....

I posted a disclaimer with the list. I am perfectly willing to focus on non-American involvement as it applies on the list. So eliminating those for which there is no theory of non-American involvement, you would say those remaining are not a lot?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back