Let's Give Education A Boost

ronpettaway

Rookie
Jan 28, 2013
Hi,

I am currently doing a fundraiser for my friend Craig. He is former military and currently back home looking after his family.He wants to go to school for Criminal Justice but unfortunately he can not get enough grants to support him with that. He is currently working full time as a security guard and I would like to help with the costs so I created a fundraiser at youcaring.com to help him out. Because of the forum rules, I can not post a link but please search for him: Craig Daily and let's get him into school.

Thank You,
Ron

Gosh you're a swell friend. :thup:

Well thanks for that.. :eusa_shhh: He is trying to have a better life and he was without work for over a year when he was downsized from his last company. Things are looking up for him though and he seems happier. Hopefully the campaigning for him works because I tried before and it was not good.. Crossing fingers..

Ron

Does he not have the GI Bill? The VA lifted the restrictions on taking courses online and receiving BAH, so he could actually still work and attend college online. There are plenty of schools out there that have BA programs in Criminal Justice that you can learn online. There's probably one close to him that has a good evening or distance learning option.

With the new CH.33 GI Bill it will take care of tuition, gives you a book stipend and best of all you get the BAH rate for your area which would be a good chunk of change.

Good luck to your friend.

Last edited:
Navy GI bill tuition benefits takin' a hit...

Navy is cutting benefits for tuition assistance program
August 22, 2014 ~ Beginning Oct. 1, U.S. Navy tuition assistance will reimburse sailors only for the tuition cost of the course.
TA funds will no longer pay for the following: additional fees for equipment, supplies, books/materials, exams, admissions, registration, fines and costs associated with distance learning. It is among several changes the Navy announced Thursday to its popular program.

The changes are meant to align the Navy’s TA program with the Defense Department’s policy on voluntary education programs that was released last month, the Navy said in a release. The new DOD policy the Navy is adopting changes the definition of a successfully completed course. Under the new policy, which goes into effect Oct. 1, sailors will have to reimburse the Navy if they fail to get a C grade or higher in an undergraduate course, a B grade or higher in a graduate-level course, or if they fail a pass/fail course.

image.jpg

Sailors from the amphibious dock landing ship USS Tortuga read and take notes before beginning a Navy College Program for Afloat College Education course.

About 89 percent of courses paid for by Navy TA were successfully passed in fiscal 2013, with 72 percent of those courses resulting in an A or B grade, the Navy says. The Navy is also loosening the eligibility requirements for TA, effective immediately. Sailors with less than a year at their first duty station may get a waiver to the one-year requirement to become eligible for tuition assistance.

Navy is cutting benefits for tuition assistance program - News - Stripes

Forum List

Back