Let GM Die

pegwinn said:
Hmmmm. I despise bailouts. If GM cannot compete they don't deserve to live (business wise that is).

My quality issues has always favored Ford. Every Ford I've ever owned has been blessed. Even at work, I cannot stand changing the glass on GM products. The engineers are real pieces of work.
That’s another thing I hate about the US manufacturers..

Remember the days that it was easy to do your own repairs?
Then they started using “Special” fittings screws etc so you had to see a dealer….

Errrrrrrrrrrrr…these guys have cut their own throat as far as I’m concerned.

Mr. P said:
Yea, but their problem is and has been they match that up with LOW END quality.

Yeah. GM makes garbage on wheels. It bothers me that Americans can't make cars to compete with the Japanese. Didn't we beat them once?

William Joyce said:
Yeah. GM makes garbage on wheels. It bothers me that Americans can't make cars to compete with the Japanese. Didn't we beat them once?
Yep, and we're even building their cars/trucks right here in the USA..That tells ya we can do it...If we can rid ourselves of the union leaches...

Mr. P said:
Yep, and we're even building their cars/trucks right here in the USA..That tells ya we can do it...If we can rid ourselves of the union leaches...

yah!

In fairness to the Japanese they have something that the average american lacks. That is the willingness to subordinate himself to the team. We don't do that. OF course, we don't want to work for money either. And we don't want to break a sweat. And we don't............

pegwinn said:
In fairness to the Japanese they have something that the average american lacks. That is the willingness to subordinate himself to the team. We don't do that. OF course, we don't want to work for money either. And we don't want to break a sweat. And we don't............
Actually the only difference between the Japanese and Americans is loyalty to employer. US no longer has that factor, in either direction. Japanese are Americans in the 80's when employers lost that factor, but the employees are behind the curve.

Kathianne said:
Actually the only difference between the Japanese and Americans is loyalty to employer. US no longer has that factor, in either direction. Japanese are Americans in the 80's when employers lost that factor, but the employees are behind the curve.

I still maintain that the average American is lazy. Unions have stolen the work ethic and it got outsourced.

pegwinn said:
I still maintain that the average American is lazy. Unions have stolen the work ethic and it got outsourced.
I disagree. Thankfully the American worker in my opinion is willing to work how ever may hours it may take to get the job done.

The problem comes in if an illegal is willing to do the same for less.

Kathianne said:
I disagree. Thankfully the American worker in my opinion is willing to work how ever may hours it may take to get the job done.

The problem comes in if an illegal is willing to do the same for less.

this also applies to outsourcing for cheap labor...personally I would rather pay a little more and get a quality product vs changing a alternator or starter several times before I get one that works!

archangel said:
this also applies to outsourcing for cheap labor...personally I would rather pay a little more and get a quality product vs changing a alternator or starter several times before I get one that works!
I don’t think you understand the alternator problem I had Arch..
It had nothing to do with where it was made, but everything to do with engineering.

In other words, It was not adequate for the vehicles’ electrical system.

That was a GM “DETROIT” decision.

Mr. P said:
I don’t think you understand the alternator problem I had Arch..
It had nothing to do with where it was made, but everything to do with engineering.

In other words, It was not adequate for the vehicles’ electrical system.

That was a GM “DETROIT” decision.

The auto was produced in the US...however all electrical parts are manufactured in Mexico from inferior components...so in your case the auto was superior to the electrical components manufactured in Mexico..so I will agree in the fact that GM made a big mistake outsourcing the electrical parts to Mexico...as you said the alternator "was not adequate for the vehicles electrical system" :huh:

A few weeks ago I went to the AutoShow in Motion that GM puts on. Boy was I disappointed in their vehicles. I drove the Pontiac Solstice and it felt like the transmission was going to fall out, and the handling was piss poor. I even got to drive a vette but they have someone sitting in the passenger seat telling you how to drive, making you take off in second gear ect. The most fun was driving the Hummer on the course with bumps and a big hill to climb over. Mildly impressed with it but I have absolutely no use for such a vehicle(and I doubt 90% of H2 owners do either). All in all it was a decent event to attend for free, and I did learn one thing - I will never buy a GM product.

archangel said:
Most if not all alternators and related electronic parts for American cars are built in Mexico...really poor quality...you may thank Cafta...Nafta and all other aftas our administration is pushing! :bs1:

A business has the freedom to choose where and how its product is made does it not? Why blame the things like Nafta and politicans that made(or keep) that choice possible? Bottom line is bad business decisions. One could argue that they were forced to make these decisions to save money due to unions...

archangel said:
The auto was produced in the US...however all electrical parts are manufactured in Mexico from inferior components...so in your case the auto was superior to the electrical components manufactured in Mexico..so I will agree in the fact that GM made a big mistake outsourcing the electrical parts to Mexico...as you said the alternator "was not adequate for the vehicles electrical system" :huh:
And who set the standards for the alternator Arch, the Mexicans? I don't think so..You don't have a case .It all falls on GM engineering, regardless of where parts are made.

Mr. P said:
And who set the standards for the alternator Arch, the Mexicans? I don't think so..You don't have a case .It all falls on GM engineering, regardless of where parts are made.

all I can say is my daughter has a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am...runs like a champ...I own two American autos a Jeep Cherokee Limited and a Mustang Conv(gave to GD)...both run like champs...however when I do order and replace starters or alternators or any other elect parts (Made in Mexico) well I have to replace them at least two times before I get one that works...even my mechanic who is a master agrees about the made in Mexico replacement "Junk"(his words)
Carry on Mr.P....bash away as if bashing will solve the problem..... :dunno:

I think the point is, the Mexicans will produce whatever GM will buy. And right now, GM wants to buy cheaper, crappier parts. So Mexico makes cheaper, crappier parts. If GM raised their standards, Mexico wouldn't make such crappy, cheap parts, because no one would buy them.

The ClayTaurus said:
I think the point is, the Mexicans will produce whatever GM will buy. And right now, GM wants to buy cheaper, crappier parts. So Mexico makes cheaper, crappier parts. If GM raised their standards, Mexico wouldn't make such crappy, cheap parts, because no one would buy them.
Not really clay..it doesn’t matter where a part is made it must fit the
specs of the buyer, right? Now I don't know where this alternator I had to replace was made. I do know that I always replaced it with an OEM part, that being AC Delco.. What I'm saying is the part was inadequate for the car and GM knew that as far back as 1986 but continued to install it..That sux.

Mr. P said:
Not really clay..it doesn’t matter where a part is made it must fit the
specs of the buyer, right? Now I don't know where this alternator I had to replace was made. I do know that I always replaced it with an OEM part, that being AC Delco.. What I'm saying is the part was inadequate for the car and GM knew that as far back as 1986 but continued to install it..That sux.

That was the point I was trying to get at. If GM actually required the part spec to be adequate, than the parts that come from Mexico that currently are inadequate would cease to being produced. It's not a Mexican thing that what they make is of poor quality, it's that people are willing to buy it. If no one bought it, they would no longer produce it. You can't blame a supplier for supplying something that people buy. You blame the buyer. And, in this case, the buyer is GM.

The ClayTaurus said:
That was the point I was trying to get at. If GM actually required the part spec to be adequate, than the parts that come from Mexico that currently are inadequate would cease to being produced. It's not a Mexican thing that what they make is of poor quality, it's that people are willing to buy it. If no one bought it, they would no longer produce it. You can't blame a supplier for supplying something that people buy. You blame the buyer. And, in this case, the buyer is GM.
Yep, and I just heard today they are shutting down one of their plants here in Ga.

I think they're in big trouble myself.

Forum List

Back