Let Berries be thy Medicine

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
To fight cancer and cognitive decline. A half cup of blueberries is a daily staple for me.

Beans, nuts, berries, and green leafy vegetables.

One should learn more about the phytochemistry involved so that the 'high cost of berries' can be thwarted. There are alternate sources for the compounds mentioned in the OP.

To fight cancer and cognitive decline. A half cup of blueberries is a daily staple for me.

Beans, nuts, berries, and green leafy vegetables.

I have Blueberry bushes all over my back yard... I sure hope this cold winter hasn't harmed them... I eat them all summer long...

They are so good, and can be added to just about anything, or just eaten by themselves. I like in yogurt, on cereal and salads, to name a few.
I snack on them right off the bush while I'm doing yard work... I eat so many that my dentist had to prescribe a whitening toothpaste... lol they will darken teeth I guess...

Science backs it up:

In one randomized controlled trial performed in Israel and published this year, for instance, researchers took brain scans of more than 200 people who had been split into three diet groups. They found that after 18 months, those who followed a “green” Mediterranean diet — one rich in Mankai (a nutrient-packed green plant), green tea and walnuts — had the slowest rate of age-related brain atrophy. Those who followed a traditional Mediterranean diet were close behind. Those who followed regular healthy diet guidelines — which was less plant-based and allowed for more processed and red meat than the other two diets — had greater declines in brain volume.

These neuroprotective effects were especially pronounced in people 50 and older.

Colorful fruits and vegetables

The more colorful the produce on your plate, the better the food usually is for your brain, several experts said. One reason is those foods are usually high in flavonoids, natural substances with antioxidant-like properties.

A new study published in the November issue of the journal Neurology, for instance, found that older adults who reported eating or drinking foods with flavonols — types of flavonoids found in many fruits and vegetables, as well as wine and tea — had slower rates of memory decline.

Researchers looked at nearly 1,000 people ages 60 to 100 living in Chicago retirement communities or senior public housing who did not have dementia, and followed them for about seven years, on average. Each year, participants filled out diet questionnaires and completed cognitive and memory tests. The researchers found that those who consumed the most flavonols had slower rates of cognitive decline than people who ate the least.

Q. Why are blueberries blue?
A. So, you can tell them from elephants.
Q. What did Hannibal say when he saw the elephants coming?
A. "Here come the blueberries!" (He was colorblind).:auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back