Led by Rachel Maddow, MSNBC Surges to Unfamiliar Spot: No. 1 in Prime Time

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Maybe in the future they will refer to this time as The Period Of Enlightenment, Part Two

The MSNBC resurgence — in May, it beat its rivals for the highest prime-time viewership on weeknights in the critical 25-to-54 age demographic, up an astounding 118 percent from a year earlier — is part of a newly shifting landscape in television news, and within the channel itself.

*snip*

the network’s rise has relied largely on its sharply opinionated commentary, with Ms. Maddow moving to No. 1 in prime time on the strength of monologues devoted to President Trump’s ties to Russia, and with Lawrence O’Donnell speaking openly about impeachment.

In an interview, Mr. Lack rejected the notion that MSNBC was a Fox News for the left.

“I don’t buy it,” he said, his voice rising. “And honestly, I’ve never been comfortable with the Fox examples, of how we compare to them, or being an alternative to them. I don’t think we’re an alternative to anything. We’re live, breaking news during the day, and the smartest, most insightful opinion space we can create at night.”

*snip*

Mr. Lack, 70, who helped found MSNBC in 1996, said the investment in straight-news reporting had allowed the channel to compete during last year’s presidential race and led viewers to feel more comfortable turning to MSNBC during breaking news.

Without that journalism, he added, “I don’t think you have the success that you’re seeing.”

MSNBC’s morning and afternoon audience is growing fast: Its total viewership between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. nearly doubled in May from the year before, far outstripping the growth at CNN and Fox News.

Not every shift has been an instant success. Greta Van Susteren, hired after she left Fox News, has been ranked third at 6 p.m.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/...w-andrew-lack-ratings.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

I guess that's not surprising. Based on how often I've here observed, it seems conservatives are more interested in Maddow's editorials than are liberals. Truly, not one liberal with whom I have conversations of any sort has ever mentioned Rachel Maddow or her comments. Contrast that with USMB where there are over 130 threads in which Maddow is noted in the thread title alone. I have no idea how many conservative members posts explicitly mention her.

I'm neither expressly liberal nor conservative nor conformist, and I've never watched her show or read anything she's written. Be that as it may, I don't think what I do or don't do is indicative of most or many other people willful actions, nor does it matter to me whether it is.

Fake

Misinformed
Snowflakes
Never-ending
Butthurt
Channel

Last edited:
Be that as it may, I don't think what I do or don't do is indicative of most or many other people willful actions, nor does it matter to me whether it is.
I'm curious. What has that to do with the OP?

Apart from that, I have been frustrated, in the few clips of Maddow I've watched, with her method of padding out her show with teasers and trailers before she gets to the pertinent item of information. Her journalism/analysis/information may be good but damned if I can be bothered waiting around for it.

Last edited:
Be that as it may, I don't think what I do or don't do is indicative of most or many other people willful actions, nor does it matter to me whether it is.

Apart from that, I have been frustrated, in the few clips of Maddow I've watched, with her method of padding out her show before she gives the pertinent item of information in question. Her journalism/analysis/information may be good but damned if I can be bothered waiting around for it.
Directly, nothing. The sentence about which you asked is merely expositional with regard to how I feel about the points expressed in the sentence it immediately follows.

I have no idea how many conservative members posts explicitly mention her.
That one? Oh. Fair enough. I still don't understand how what you do or don't do relates to that. No worries.

I'm neither expressly liberal nor conservative nor conformist, and I've never watched her show or read anything she's written.
Oh, that one. Why on earth would you even begin to consider that what you do or don't do is indicative of other people's actions?

Last edited:
Maybe in the future they will refer to this time as The Period Of Enlightenment, Part Two

The MSNBC resurgence — in May, it beat its rivals for the highest prime-time viewership on weeknights in the critical 25-to-54 age demographic, up an astounding 118 percent from a year earlier — is part of a newly shifting landscape in television news, and within the channel itself.

*snip*

the network’s rise has relied largely on its sharply opinionated commentary, with Ms. Maddow moving to No. 1 in prime time on the strength of monologues devoted to President Trump’s ties to Russia, and with Lawrence O’Donnell speaking openly about impeachment.

In an interview, Mr. Lack rejected the notion that MSNBC was a Fox News for the left.

“I don’t buy it,” he said, his voice rising. “And honestly, I’ve never been comfortable with the Fox examples, of how we compare to them, or being an alternative to them. I don’t think we’re an alternative to anything. We’re live, breaking news during the day, and the smartest, most insightful opinion space we can create at night.”

*snip*

Mr. Lack, 70, who helped found MSNBC in 1996, said the investment in straight-news reporting had allowed the channel to compete during last year’s presidential race and led viewers to feel more comfortable turning to MSNBC during breaking news.

Without that journalism, he added, “I don’t think you have the success that you’re seeing.”

MSNBC’s morning and afternoon audience is growing fast: Its total viewership between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. nearly doubled in May from the year before, far outstripping the growth at CNN and Fox News.

Not every shift has been an instant success. Greta Van Susteren, hired after she left Fox News, has been ranked third at 6 p.m.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/...w-andrew-lack-ratings.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0
The new York times as a source? No thank you. Try again.

*snip*

*snip*

Lol...the madness never ends

Chosen at random through proven methodology,
Nielsen’s U.S. TV families represent a cross-section
of representative homes throughout the country.

I have no idea how many conservative members posts explicitly mention her.
That one? Oh. Fair enough. I still don't understand how what you do or don't do relates to that. No worries.

I'm neither expressly liberal nor conservative nor conformist, and I've never watched her show or read anything she's written.
Oh, that one. Why on earth would you even begin to consider that what you do or don't do is indicative of other people's actions?
Why on earth would you even begin to consider that what you do or don't do is indicative of other people's actions?

As I previously explicitly stated, I don't. So why are you asking me a question that includes a supposition that I might or in fact do "even begin to consider" my actions indicative of most or many other people's willful actions"?

Goo9d for Rachel

She does her homework and puts on a great show

Professional Liar Sean Hannity, meanwhile, is mired in third place, behind Lawrence O'Donnell and Don Lemon!
4i6Ckte.gif

Trump is doing wonders for Rachel Maddox's career

Viewers can't wait to hear what she says next

Forum List

Back