Leaked Memo

Originally posted by jimnyc
Nobody is going to go public with disputes as it is still considered confidential information, but the leading General in charge DID state a different amount.

The leading general said about 5,000 guerrillas and the leaked memo said about 50,000 involved in insurgency. Taking into account all informants, people offering safe-homes, arms dealers, and those offering favors, both these numbers could be plausible and not necessarily contradictory.

In any case, I doubt any one has an accurate clue as to the number of guerrillas or all those involved somehow in insurgency. It does seem clear that insurgency is either growing steadily or getting steadily more effective. We've also detained thousands in Iraq yet more insurgents keep coming.

How do you know what was issued and what wasn't? .
from the article
-according to a top secret U.S. government memorandum obtained by THE WEEKLY STANDARD. ...The memo, dated October 27, 2003, was sent from Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Douglas J. Feith to Senators Pat Roberts and Jay Rockefeller, the chairman and vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. It was written in response to a request from the committee as part of its investigation into prewar intelligence claims made by the administration.
That's all the informations providence we currently have access too. Draw your own assesment from that line as too where the CIA/DIA actually stood on the question of a connection, but you might consider that if the CIA agreed with the hatchet job Feith did on the intel, what did Rumsfeld need Mr. Feith for? Why is the senate intelligence committee issueing demands for documentation? Why even have the investigation at all if all sources agreed?
Posted by Leftywilbury ..just pick one topic from the memo and do a search on it. you'll get hits on it
It's an "oft told tale". Just like the legend of Anastasia and bigfoot...errr sorry eric, the Lock Ness monster. Hits in google doesn't really contribute to its' accuracy though.

Hmmmm....odd

Stories released by Democrats are taken as gospel and stories leaked by Republicans are old folk tales.

I think there is truth AND lies coming from BOTH sides.

Hmmmm....odd.Stories released by Democrats are taken as gospel and stories leaked by Republicans are old folk tales.
I think there is truth AND lies coming from BOTH sides.
I wholeheartedly agree that both sides lie, though this is not a "republican" lie, or even an administration lie. It is simply a PNAC lie, and there have been a multitude of them. The RNC and the president do not support the claims made by Mr. Feith, as GWB recently demonstrated when he told reporters "there is not enough evidence to prove a connection". Why would he say that? Do you suppose he didn't get Mr. Feiths memo? Why do you think I'm attacking GWB? He doesn't beleive this pile of PNAC crap any more than I do.
FYI jim, when a political animal "leaks" a story, he is doing it for a reason, he has in mind some gain. The Intel commitee is investigating Mr. Feiths politicizing of intelligence data, that much has been released to the public. With that in mind, why do you think he leaked this to the Weakly Standard?

Forum List

Back