Laws and tyranny

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
Disclaimer: I am no political scientist, far from any expert in history, certainly not a sociologist, etc.

My hypothesis (and likely some scholar of those subjects has said the same thing): When laws are more subjective than objective; there is no longer a system of law, rather there is tyranny.

Simple definitions:

Subjective: existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought (opposed to objective)

Objective: not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion; of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to something that is an object or a part of an object; existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

When we have what I call the "feel good" legislation (for example, this recent legislation about WBC and funerals), I think of how this sort of thing breeds tyranny.

That legislation, and other laws/rules, depend on such a subjective determination of what is offensive, insulting, attacking, etc.. Maybe WBC is not a great example, as I know of no one who doesn't think they are a bunch of horrible lunatics.

But, maybe examine your country club or some other social group's rules. For example, your neighborhood association's bylaws on use of the club house. Perhaps the bylaws state that you cannot insult and/or personally attack (verbally) another member in the dining room.

Who decides what an insult or personal attack is? Perhaps you told another member to go fuck himself. On its face, that sure seems like a personal attack. But, maybe this other member was a drunken buffoon who came over to your table while you were having dinner with your boss and his/her spouse. Although he wasn't really saying anything offensive to you, he was breathing his alcoholic breath all over your plate of proscuitto and melon and ruining your appetite and everyone else's appetite at the table. He wasn't getting your less-than-subtle hints to leave you alone, so you finally told him to go fuck himself. He left in a huff and reported you to the board the next day.

If I were the adjudicator in that instance, I would call it a wash.

But, what if the adjudicators don't particularly care for you? They certainly could rule that you insulted another member and they could tax a heavy fine on you or even yank your membership.

But, my point is, when the law is so subjective - what does the adjudicator think an insult is - there really is no law or rule at all. The decision is ONLY what the adjudicator wants it to be. That is tyranny in the form of authoritarian and totalitarian rule.

So, I am often stunned that many would support such subjective legislation. Sure, most of us would like everyone to be nice to each other and we often cheer when "bullies" get punished, but do you ever stop to think what would happen if someone in authority decides what you are doing or saying is offensive? It may not be offensive to you, but it may be to the authorities.

One person's trash is another's treasure.

(As a side note, when there are also so many laws that the inevitable contradictions exist, it can breed tyranny, too. Depending on the adjudicator's opinion of you, s/he can pick whichever law will lead to a punishment of you.)

I assume you have read
Frederic Bastiat, The Law

great stuff....

“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free,
how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and
their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”

Last edited:
Given the chance, people will take advantage of subjectivity to advance their own agenda.

Much harder to get away with when dealing with objectivity.

In part, that's why I oppose hate crime laws. It takes what should be an entirely objective question (Did the accused murder kill the victim?) and introduces subjectivity (Did the accused murderer kill the victim because of the victim's membership in a protected class?)

The victim is no more or less dead than a murder victim who's NOT a member of a protected class. Yet the crime is treated more harshly. Is that justice?

I assume you have read

great stuff....

“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free,
how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and
their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
No, I never did. That is much more eloquent and concise than I could ever hope to be.

Thanks for the reference!

This is why I find the bleeding heart mentality to be subversive to our entire being as a free nation.

Given the chance, people will take advantage of subjectivity to advance their own agenda.

In part, that's why I oppose hate crime laws. It takes what should be an entirely objective question (Did the accused murder kill the victim?) and introduces subjectivity (Did the accused murderer kill the victim because of the victim's membership in a protected class?)

The victim is no more or less dead than a murder victim who's NOT a member of a protected class. Yet the crime is treated more harshly. Is that justice?
Right. I view that as classic Orwellian thought crimes. Thankfully, I had great teachers as a kid and 1984 was required reading. It had quite an impact on me in forming my political views.

I assume you have read

great stuff....

No, I never did. That is much more eloquent and concise than I could ever hope to be.

Thanks for the reference!

This is why I find the bleeding heart mentality to be subversive to our entire being as a free nation.
C. S. Lewis covered that:

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good
of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live
under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.
The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may
at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good
will torment us without end for they do so with the approval
of their own conscience."

Right. I view that as classic Orwellian thought crimes. Thankfully, I had great teachers as a kid and 1984 was required reading. It had quite an impact on me in forming my political views.

Animal Farm too
was good

Great OP. :clap2:

Law, Objective and Non-Objective — Ayn Rand Lexicon

When men are caught in the trap of non-objective law, when their work, future and livelihood are at the mercy of a bureaucrat’s whim, when they have no way of knowing what unknown “influence” will crack down on them for which unspecified offense, fear becomes their basic motive, if they remain in the industry at all—and compromise, conformity, staleness, dullness, the dismal grayness of the middle-of-the-road are all that can be expected of them. Independent thinking does not submit to bureaucratic edicts, originality does not follow “public policies,” integrity does not petition for a license, heroism is not fostered by fear, creative genius is not summoned forth at the point of a gun.

Non-objective law is the most effective weapon of human enslavement: its victims become its enforcers and enslave themselves.

The Objectivist Newsletter

“Vast Quicksands,”
The Objectivist Newsletter, July 1963, 25

It truly serves as a warning against overarching, nanny-state government.

People must be protected from themselves. If they're free to think for themselves, they might make the wrong choices -- and that cannot be allowed.

Animal Farm too
was good
"All animals are equal -- but some are more equal than others."

Sounds like class warriors, doesn't it?

Great OP. :clap2:

Law, Objective and Non-Objective — Ayn*Rand Lexicon

When men are caught in the trap of non-objective law, when their work, future and livelihood are at the mercy of a bureaucrat’s whim, when they have no way of knowing what unknown “influence” will crack down on them for which unspecified offense, fear becomes their basic motive, if they remain in the industry at all—and compromise, conformity, staleness, dullness, the dismal grayness of the middle-of-the-road are all that can be expected of them. Independent thinking does not submit to bureaucratic edicts, originality does not follow “public policies,” integrity does not petition for a license, heroism is not fostered by fear, creative genius is not summoned forth at the point of a gun.

Non-objective law is the most effective weapon of human enslavement: its victims become its enforcers and enslave themselves.

The Objectivist Newsletter

“Vast Quicksands,”
The Objectivist Newsletter, July 1963, 25
Damn! First Bastiat and now this? Thanks for that reference, too!

I will have great beach reading material.

I'm just a chemist, so I never studied this stuff. I just know that I value freedom and see stuff that I think will lead to robbery of freedom.

I assume you have read

great stuff....

^
This

The entire brief and very concise book here: The Law, by Frederic Bastiat

You should blow through it in about an hour or two.

Orwellian thought crimes? I just finished watching a series about the Holocaust. What stood out the most for me in this drama was the way in which torture and mass murder were acceptable because of the conscious use of less offensive terms.

If anything was more objectifying than anything else it was the Third Reich.

Orwellian thought crimes? I just finished watching a series about the Holocaust. What stood out the most for me in this drama was the way in which torture and mass murder were acceptable because of the conscious use of less offensive terms.

If anything was more objectifying than anything else it was the Third Reich.
In this topic, 'objective' is an adjective, not a verb.

Thus, you're not really on topic at all.

People must be protected from themselves. If they're free to think for themselves, they might make the wrong choices -- and that cannot be allowed.

Sums it up rather nicely.

Sums it up rather nicely.

*tips hat*

So, why do we have bleeding heart laws, though? Just yesterday, folks want to put a company out of business because, in spite of the company following labeling laws, someone still got hurt.

Buckyballs fight back - The Washington Post

How is this not tyranny on its face?

Why are they having to spend money of advertising to keep their freedom to operate?

So, why do we have bleeding heart laws, though? Just yesterday, folks want to put a company out of business because, in spite of the company following labeling laws, someone still got hurt.

Because it's presumed that if gubmint doesn't do something, nobody will.

You have to be forced because you're not as big heated as those doing the forcing.

Because it's presumed that if gubmint doesn't do something, nobody will.

You have to be forced because you're not as big heated as those doing the forcing.
Right. And as somebody else built their business, somebody else will take it away. It's not theirs. They didn't build it.

How is this not obvious to all? This subjective BS. Is it only those who are inherently resistant to hypnosis who see any longer?

I am pretty serious, too.

Si,

I would argue that your original post is based on a false premise that laws are passed for objective reasons. In my opinion, all laws are passed to protect one party from another and thus all are "feel good" laws.

Forum List

Back