Lawmakers block Pentagon move to transfer $1 billion for Trump's border wall

You have to laugh at these clowns. Schiff for brains believes he commands the armed forces. Apparently he doesn't understand how our government works.

Lawmakers blocked the Department of Defense's move to transfer $1 billion for the construction of a physical barrier along the US-Mexico border, the latest showdown in the battle over the border wall that President Trump has vowed to build.

On Monday, the Pentagon authorized the transfer of funds to Army engineers for projects along the border, which include building 57 miles of 18-foot-high fencing, constructing and improving roads, and installing lighting in support of Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Patrol. The move was carried out under the president's declaration of a national emergency, the department said in a statement.

As Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan was testifying before his committee, Rep. Adam Smith, the Democrat who chairs the House Armed Services Committee, released a letter denying the Pentagon's move to reprogram $1 billion.

"The House Committee on Armed Services has completed its review of the proposed reprogramming request," Smith's letter read, according to a copy obtained by Military Times. "The committee denies this request."

In a more detailed statement, Smith called the Department of Defense's decision to reprogram $1 billion without Congressional approval a violation of trust. "DoD is attempting to circumvent Congress and the American people's opposition to using taxpayer money for the construction of an unnecessary wall."

You don't understand how our government works. The Congress has the power of the purse. They can defund any military action the President takes.

Sure. With a 2/3 supermajority of the House and Senate they can.

Yeah...is it sinking in yet?

Did
Fish don’t notice water...and you don’t notice your master. It just seems natural to you to servilely repeat the mantras.

you are so damn cute...I give you my view on the wall and you know it does not match that of anybody, so you resort to this.

how embarrassing for you.
Oh you are better than *everybody* lol.

No your view matches Pelosi’s. If she wins you win.

Yeah, I remember well Pelosi begging Trump to take money for fencing along the border.

you are not only stupid, you are as dishonest as Obama.

Dont try and burnish your credentials now. Do try and at least stay in your pro-Democrat anti- trump rant.

you are so cute when you try so hard to put me into the duopoly box. my very existence is beyond your limited ability to comprehend.

but it is not your fault, you cannot help that you were born a moron

You put yourself there. Some people can wake up. You never will. Being s chat room libertarian is too much part of the ego.

You have to laugh at these clowns. Schiff for brains believes he commands the armed forces. Apparently he doesn't understand how our government works.

Lawmakers blocked the Department of Defense's move to transfer $1 billion for the construction of a physical barrier along the US-Mexico border, the latest showdown in the battle over the border wall that President Trump has vowed to build.

On Monday, the Pentagon authorized the transfer of funds to Army engineers for projects along the border, which include building 57 miles of 18-foot-high fencing, constructing and improving roads, and installing lighting in support of Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Patrol. The move was carried out under the president's declaration of a national emergency, the department said in a statement.

As Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan was testifying before his committee, Rep. Adam Smith, the Democrat who chairs the House Armed Services Committee, released a letter denying the Pentagon's move to reprogram $1 billion.

"The House Committee on Armed Services has completed its review of the proposed reprogramming request," Smith's letter read, according to a copy obtained by Military Times. "The committee denies this request."

In a more detailed statement, Smith called the Department of Defense's decision to reprogram $1 billion without Congressional approval a violation of trust. "DoD is attempting to circumvent Congress and the American people's opposition to using taxpayer money for the construction of an unnecessary wall."

Seems that Congress has the power of the purse....but you never did care for the Constitution did you

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
So how did Obama give $150 billion to Iran?

It was not our money, that is how.

Yup. It was their money that we froze. Barry released it when he made that god awful deal with Iran. And you can bet they used it to keep fundinig every terrorist organization in the world and to keep their nuke program alive.

Not a very smart move by Barry and his sidekick Kerry.

Seems that Congress has the power of the purse....but you never did care for the Constitution did you

So how did Obama give $150 billion to Iran?

It was not our money, that is how.

Yup. It was their money that we froze. Barry released it when he made that god awful deal with Iran. And you can bet they used it to keep fundinig every terrorist organization in the world and to keep their nuke program alive.

Not a very smart move by Barry and his sidekick Kerry.

There was very little Obama did that wad smart.

you are so damn cute...I give you my view on the wall and you know it does not match that of anybody, so you resort to this.

Yeah, I remember well Pelosi begging Trump to take money for fencing along the border.

Dont try and burnish your credentials now. Do try and at least stay in your pro-Democrat anti- trump rant.

you are so cute when you try so hard to put me into the duopoly box. my very existence is beyond your limited ability to comprehend.

You put yourself there. Some people can wake up. You never will. Being s chat room libertarian is too much part of the ego.

With each post you further highlight your limited intelligence and lack of original thought.

Er..umm.. Congress already appropriated the money from "the purse", this is budgetary reprogramming and the NON-STATUTORY (meaning guidelines not law) limits dictate that the DoD notify congress and seek their approval for reprogramming for procurement for sums greater than $20 million or 20% of a programs appropriations whichever is greater or $500,000 or 10% of a programs appropriation for non-procurement whichever is less.

The courts have ruled that Executive Agencies aren't legally required to follow these non-statutory limitations, so basically the agencies can legally reprogram funds at will and without limits if the Executive Branch so chooses without notifying Congress or seeking approval. However it's generally considered a bad idea to do so since it tends to piss off the people that appropriate the money that funds an agency's budgetary requests.

Reprogramming and Executive Transfer authority are nearly indispensable at this point given that the dickweeds in Congress almost NEVER pass appropriations on time and thus agencies are left running under CR's which gives them nearly zero flexibility on how to fund operations without it.

"Here endth the lesson" -- Jim Malone, The Untouchables

Er..umm.. Congress already appropriated the money from "the purse", this is budgetary reprogramming and the NON-STATUTORY (meaning guidelines not law) limits dictate that the DoD notify congress and seek their approval for reprogramming for procurement for sums greater than $20 million or 20% of a programs appropriations whichever is greater or $500,000 or 10% of a programs appropriation for non-procurement whichever is less.

The courts have ruled that Executive Agencies aren't legally required to follow these non-statutory limitations, so basically the agencies can legally reprogram funds at will and without limits if the Executive Branch so chooses without notifying Congress or seeking approval. However it's generally considered a bad idea to do so since it tends to piss off the people that appropriate the money that funds an agency's budgetary requests.

Reprogramming and Executive Transfer authority are nearly indispensable at this point given that the dickweeds in Congress almost NEVER pass appropriations on time and thus agencies are left running under CR's which gives them nearly zero flexibility on how to fund operations without it.

Budgetary reprogramming does not allow transfers from one Cabinet level department to another.

Did
Fish don’t notice water...and you don’t notice your master. It just seems natural to you to servilely repeat the mantras.

Why do democrats want us overrun?
So many bed makers, dish washers and people wanting to cut our lawn

What will we do?
Get rid of them and force you to and others like you to do those jobs.

Why do democrats want us overrun?
So many bed makers, dish washers and people wanting to cut our lawn

What will we do?
Get rid of them and force you to and others like you to do those jobs.

I already mow my own lawn, don’t trust anyone else to do it besides my son. I take pride in my lawn.

Never understood making a bed, just pull the sheets up and call it good.

How is he blocking it? Is he standing in front of the Pentagon and not allowing any checks to leave the building?

Budgetary reprogramming does not allow transfers from one Cabinet level department to another.

Umm..yeah.. that question isn't germane to the case in point, the DoD (aka "The Pentagon") is proposing to move around funds from programs within the DoD to the Army Corps of Engineers, which is (last time I checked) also within the DoD.

Umm..yeah.. that question isn't germane to the case in point, the DoD (aka "The Pentagon") is proposing to move around funds from programs within the DoD to the Army Corps of Engineers, which is (last time I checked) also within the DoD.

Is the DOD going to own/control/patrol the fence after it is built?

Or will the DHS do all that?

if they built the water plant instead, would they run / maintain that? keep in mind i'm against the wall itself so don't think my question means i support the wall.

i just DO NOT support picking and choosing when you toss out guidelines like this. the DoD has built a lot of shit over the years, do they maintain them all or turn them over when done? what is standard? googling now to better understand but you just seem to have a few flares and when stuck, fire one off as if it makes a difference.

Not that it makes any difference to the question of budgetary reprogramming, The federal government and by proxy the tax payers will "own it". If I had to guess, the DoD via the Army Corps of Engineers will most likely maintain it and DHS via it's various immigration operations will most likely "patrol/control" it.

if they built the water plant instead, would they run / maintain that? keep in mind i'm against the wall itself so don't think my question means i support the wall.

i just DO NOT support picking and choosing when you toss out guidelines like this. the DoD has built a lot of shit over the years, do they maintain them all or turn them over when done? what is standard? googling now to better understand but you just seem to have a few flares and when stuck, fire one off as if it makes a difference.

If they built the water treatment plant for the Marines that plant would be used in support of said Marines, thus it makes sense for them to pay for it.

The fence will have nothing to do with the DOD once it is paid for. The DOD will have nothing to do with the fence once it is paid for.

The DOD is essentially telling the DHS...”here, use our money to build your fence”.

Not that it makes any difference to the question of budgetary reprogramming, The federal government and by proxy the tax payers will "own it". If I had to guess, the DoD via the Army Corps of Engineers will most likely maintain it and DHS via it's various immigration operations will most likely "patrol/control" it.

Does the Army Corps of Engineers maintain any of the rest of the fence?

Will there be money allocated via the budget for the DOD to maintain the fence or will it be a continual “reprogramming”?

If this had been Obama “reprogramming” money from the DOD to HUD to build houses to deal with the “emergency” of homelessness would still be defending such an action?

If they built the water treatment plant for the Marines that plant would be used in support of said Marines, thus it makes sense for them to pay for it.

The fence will have nothing to do with the DOD once it is paid for. The DOD will have nothing to do with the fence once it is paid for.

The DOD is essentially telling the DHS...”here, use our money to build your fence”.

great. except that wasn't my question. it was you dancing around the answer. so since you won't answer it i will.

https://comptroller.defense.gov/Por...ry_Construction_Defense-Wide_Consolidated.pdf

i seriously doubt once they complete this long list of projects, they will guard and maintain them. so - this doesn't seem to be common practice for the DoD construction projects. since this isn't common practice, it's a bit odd to ask for it in THIS projects now isn't it?

again - since you're quick to misrepresent what i'm saying - i DO NOT want the wall. I WOULD RATHER spend the $ on our vets to add value to their after service life. but i'm simply not into misrepresenting things simply because i don't like them.

Well , one can certainly give you credit for being highly creative as you MAKE SHIT UP AS YOU GO ALONG.

Unfortunately for your little thesis , Federal spending doesn't work that way, if it did the Army Corps of Engineers wouldn't be doing things like building and maintaining dikes to protect the citizens of New Orleans from flooding.

No genius, they're not, they're proposing building a fence/wall/whatever the fuck Donny and Crew are calling this waste of money these days based on a claim that it's necessary to defend the borders of the nation and by proxy American Sovereignty which could be interpreted by some as having something to do with National Defense.

Whether you believe that claim or not is irrelevant to the fact that what the DoD is proposing is neither unusual nor a violation of the budgetary reprogramming precedent.

great. except that wasn't my question. it was you dancing around the answer. so since you won't answer it i will.

https://comptroller.defense.gov/Por...ry_Construction_Defense-Wide_Consolidated.pdf

i seriously doubt once they complete this long list of projects, they will guard and maintain them. so - this doesn't seem to be common practice for the DoD construction projects. since this isn't common practice, it's a bit odd to ask for it in THIS projects now isn't it?

again - since you're quick to misrepresent what i'm saying - i DO NOT want the wall. I WOULD RATHER spend the $ on our vets to add value to their after service life. but i'm simply not into misrepresenting things simply because i don't like them.

The water treatment plant will be at Hadnot Point, which is part of the base, so yes it would be defended by the Marines that guard the rest of the base. It would also on an annual basis be paid for by the DOD to include operations and maintaining it.

The fence will not be on DOD property, it will not be guarded by the DOD and it will not be maintained by the DOD.

There is no comparison

Forum List

Back