Latin and Tex-Mex overtake Italian as America's go-to food order

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
There's a new Sheriff in Town Boys, and he likes TexMex!

The go-to favorite cuisine of Americans used to be Italian, but increasingly it's Latin American and Tex-Mex food like tacos, quesadillas and birrias — with Asian food next on the horizon, per Datassential, a restaurant-menu consultancy.

Why it matters: The dramatic rise in the U.S. Latino population is reshaping the national palate — and sending restaurant operators south of the border (or thereabouts) to freshen up their menus.

Driving the news: An analysis of the 4,500 new menu items released at major restaurant chains last year found that Americans are craving cheesy, spicy foods with Latin-inspired ingredients and preparations.

• The 10 fastest-growing items on U.S. menus include birria (a Mexican meat stew), chicken taco salad, and dishes made with Tajín, a seasoning of chile peppers, lime and sea salt.
  • The #1 menu addition? Ranch Water, a summery cocktail of tequila, lime and Topo Chico sparkling water, per Datassential.
  • Tequila is poised to overtake vodka as the country's top-selling spirit, while margaritas have become the most popular cocktail.
What they're saying: "When we work with [restaurant] clients, if they're going to ask about what flavors to put on the menu, it's probably going to be Latin," says Mike Kostyo, the "trendologist" at Datassential who analyzed 2022's menus.

• "And if it's not that, it's probably going to be Asian."

Well, if the globe was warming, which it isn't, that would be a SUSPECT...

Beans Beans good for the heart....

It's all good, but better to cook your own food at home.
The wife has perfected flat enchiladas with Mexican rice and beans. I call it Mexican Casserole.
We like to alternate with that or Fajitas I grill up.

LOL....I don't know which one is more low-rent. Then again Mexicans have been eating bugs-n-brains for a long time.
Heretic! Your blasphemies will be addressed in the new order! Hail Queso!

The wife has perfected flat enchiladas with Mexican rice and beans. I call it Mexican Casserole.
We like to alternate with that or Fajitas I grill up.
Evidently unkatore disagrees. Disagreeing with the Wife is...unhealthy. :eek-52:

This reflects the large influx of Mexicans and others from the south coming into our nation. Instead of Burger King wrappers on the side of the road we are now seeing aluminum foil.

This reflects the large influx of Mexicans and others from the south coming into our nation. Instead of Burger King wrappers on the side of the road we are now seeing aluminum foil.
It makes the tumble-weaves sparkle in the sun. ;)

tenor.gif

I'm shielded from any criticism by my own name so this is my opinion:

Mexican food is good, tasty, perfectly OK but I will never understand America's obsession with it because nobody in the whole world can beat these guys' food:

12483939-vector-cartoon-of-asian-couple-with-noodle-soup.jpg

chinese-restaurant-sign.jpg

Forum List

Back