Late Blight

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Terry, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I just heard on the news about late blight and ran outside to look at my tomato and green pepper plant and my tomato plants are affected. The tomatoes are still green and looking healthy but the leaves are starting to show the brown spots but not the stems yet. Any gardeners out there? Should I pick the tomatoes now and toss the plant? What about my green peppers they still need a few weeks of growth before harvesting.

My poor tomato plants!

2. Bootneck

Bootneck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,172
    There are fungicidal sprays you can use that will help if used at the very first sign of blight. Dithane is effective. It won't cure the problem, but it slows it down.
    Tomatoes that are ripe on the plant can be used but the rest will probably rot without treatment.

Tomato blight is potato blight. They're both the same family. Not sure about peppers. I don't think they are.

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    the is the potato type blight that hit ireland....hubby says it is most likely not blight...it shows on the stems real quick...check for beetles...

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    hubby says...if its late blight there will be nickel size spots on stem and plants will be dead in 12 hours

5. asgardshill

asgardshill BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    First, you should make sure that what you're seeing is late blight and not something else. Here's a link to some great information about it.

What is Late Blight?

If you're still unsure, snip a sample of the spots and take it to the extension office in your county.

If it is late blight, then you can treat with a fungicide if the infection is not too far gone (no more than 10-15 percent of your crop). If its more than that, then you'll want to burn or disk under the crop or treat it with a fast-acting herbicide, to prevent the infection from spreading to surrounding land.

Your tomatoes should be safe to eat as long as the fruit doesn't develop the brown spots. Give them several days to ripen after you pick them to make sure.

Again, I would confirm with your county extension office if this is actually late blight or not. I hope for your sake it's not. Good luck!

6. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
  7. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I noticed and this is strange that my dogwood tree that is near these tomatoe plants leaves look like the picture in the link I posted below this post. I didn't know those trees could be infected too. I read green pepper and something else but man!