I wormed my horses this afternoon.

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
That's all. I was outside, though, and had been carrying wormer around in my purse for days. Finally took the bullet in my teeth and just did it.

I don't know why I hate doing it, the mares take a few minutes each and look really scary over it, but they're always good in the end.

That's all. I was outside, though, and had been carrying wormer around in my purse for days. Finally took the bullet in my teeth and just did it.

I don't know why I hate doing it, the mares take a few minutes each and look really scary over it, but they're always good in the end.

Do you just use the paste in the big syringe stuff? That's a breeze.

Now getting their teeth floated - whole 'nother ball game.

• Banned

Do you just use the paste in the big syringe stuff? That's a breeze.

Now getting their teeth floated - whole 'nother ball game.

I remember the days when tube wormer was new. It came in this HUGE syringe that held about a gallon. You couldn't worm without getting it all over the place.

I actually held one of my (not the mares I have now) mare's tongues while the vet floated her teeth. He reached in there, grabbed it, held it out the side of her jaw and said "hold this". I was like, is this a joke? But of course I did it.

Guess what? They DON'T bite down!

Oh crap, that's bound to get some perv off.

Now the tube is a little one, and the nozzle is little. The mares both react the same way...they roll their eyes and their noses go up in the air, and I'm down there, holding them and waving the wormer around, trying to sneak it into the corner of their mouths without getting tromped. And Purdy will jerk her head up and her top feet will come up off the ground. If you fight with her, she'll have a fit..you have to just be patient and let her do that a few times and eventually I think her neck gets tired, lol.

The Arab makes VERY big eyes and gets huge...she's not a little girl...and she holds that head up there with her nose in the air and it's like, whoa, girl, you're going all janjaweed on me now, don't hurt me....but then she just sort of holds her head up there and you can put the stuff in, if you can reach.

janjaweed (in my mind):
arabianhorsesplayfight.jpg

Because I have been tromped while worming, got knocked about 10 feet back onto my ass.

Never have someone hold your horse from the other side of a fence while worming. DUH! She just reared up and I remember looking up under her chest, her knees up around my ears, and next thing I knew I was sitting on the ground 10 feet away.

That particular mare is 30 years old now. I knew I needed to use a twitch, but was like, oh, she'll be fine..because when you use the twitch, she IS fine, and it will lull you into thinking, hey, I can do this, we've got a VIBE.....and next thing you know you're in the dirt and the horse is over...there..somewhere. Because without the twitch, the horse says AHA! THIS IS MY GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY!

Well anyway. I got it done.

Last edited:
  • Banned
They rub their tails against things and break off the hair. Same thing, only perpendicular to the ground.

Forum List

Back