Last Words of an Offender on Death Row

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Last Statement - Napoleon Beazley

Some tidbits:

The act I committed to put me here was not just heinous, it was senseless. But the person that committed that act is no longer here - I am.

I'm not going to struggle physically against any restraints. I'm not going to shout, use profanity or make idle threats. Understand though that I'm not only upset, but I'm saddened by what is happening here tonight. I'm not only saddened, but disappointed that a system that is supposed to protect and uphold what is just and right can be so much like me when I made the same shameful mistake.

If someone tried to dispose of everyone here for participating in this killing, I'd scream a resounding, "No." I'd tell them to give them all the gift that they would not give me...and that's to give them all a second chance.

This conflict hurts us all, there are no SIDES. The people who support this proceeding think this is justice. The people that think that I should live think that is justice. As difficult as it may seem, this is a clash of ideals, with both parties committed to what they feel is right. But who's wrong if in the end we're all victims?

No one wins tonight. No one gets closure. No one walks away victorious.

The Offender: Napoleon Beazley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Napoleon Beazley (August 5, 1976 – May 28, 2002) was a convicted murderer executed by lethal injection by the State of Texas for the murder of 63-year-old Texas businessman John Luttig in 1994. Beazley shot Luttig in his garage on April 19, 1994 in order to steal his family's Mercedes-Benz car. Beazley also shot at Luttig's wife, but he missed and she survived the assault by playing dead. Beazley carried out the crime with two accomplices, Cedrick and Donald Coleman, who later testified against him. Both are serving life sentences in prison.

Beazley's case is notable because he was 17 years, eight and one-half months old at the time of the offense and because his victim was the father of a Federal Judge, J. Michael Luttig. During his appeals to the U.S. Supreme Court, three of the nine justices recused themselves because of their personal ties to Judge Luttig, leaving six justices to review the case. Justice Antonin Scalia recused himself because Luttig had clerked for him, while Justices David Souter and Clarence Thomas recused themselves from the decision because Luttig had led the George H. W. Bush Administration's successful effort to gain U.S. Senate confirmation for them to the Supreme Court.

On August 13, 2001, the Court voted 3-3 on Beazley's request for a stay of execution, with the tie vote resulting in a rejection of the request.[1] On May 28, 2002, the Court voted unanimously 6-0 to reject Beazley's request for a writ of habeas corpus.[2] Scalia, Souter, and Thomas recused themselves in both votes.

Thoughts?

Some tidbits:

The act I committed to put me here was not just heinous, it was senseless. But the person that committed that act is no longer here - I am.

I'm not going to struggle physically against any restraints. I'm not going to shout, use profanity or make idle threats. Understand though that I'm not only upset, but I'm saddened by what is happening here tonight. I'm not only saddened, but disappointed that a system that is supposed to protect and uphold what is just and right can be so much like me when I made the same shameful mistake.

If someone tried to dispose of everyone here for participating in this killing, I'd scream a resounding, "No." I'd tell them to give them all the gift that they would not give me...and that's to give them all a second chance.

This conflict hurts us all, there are no SIDES. The people who support this proceeding think this is justice. The people that think that I should live think that is justice. As difficult as it may seem, this is a clash of ideals, with both parties committed to what they feel is right. But who's wrong if in the end we're all victims?

Napoleon Beazley (August 5, 1976 – May 28, 2002) was a convicted murderer executed by lethal injection by the State of Texas for the murder of 63-year-old Texas businessman John Luttig in 1994. Beazley shot Luttig in his garage on April 19, 1994 in order to steal his family's Mercedes-Benz car. Beazley also shot at Luttig's wife, but he missed and she survived the assault by playing dead. Beazley carried out the crime with two accomplices, Cedrick and Donald Coleman, who later testified against him. Both are serving life sentences in prison.

Beazley's case is notable because he was 17 years, eight and one-half months old at the time of the offense and because his victim was the father of a Federal Judge, J. Michael Luttig. During his appeals to the U.S. Supreme Court, three of the nine justices recused themselves because of their personal ties to Judge Luttig, leaving six justices to review the case. Justice Antonin Scalia recused himself because Luttig had clerked for him, while Justices David Souter and Clarence Thomas recused themselves from the decision because Luttig had led the George H. W. Bush Administration's successful effort to gain U.S. Senate confirmation for them to the Supreme Court.

On August 13, 2001, the Court voted 3-3 on Beazley's request for a stay of execution, with the tie vote resulting in a rejection of the request.[1] On May 28, 2002, the Court voted unanimously 6-0 to reject Beazley's request for a writ of habeas corpus.[2] Scalia, Souter, and Thomas recused themselves in both votes.

Thoughts?

Sounds like Justice to me. Isn't it just so easy to claim later you are a changed person? He committed the crime. He was properly tried and sentenced in a Court of law. He was given his appeals and lost.

Sounds like Justice to me. Isn't it just so easy to claim later you are a changed person? He committed the crime. He was properly tried and sentenced in a Court of law. He was given his appeals and lost.

I do believe he was questioning whether the Death Penalty itself truly was justice.

Some tidbits:

Thoughts?

in 94 he killed a man....in 2002 he is put to death....he got 8 years more than the man he killed...pity it took so long to kill him....

I am glad he is dead. It should not have taken so long.
The only last sounds we should listen to from a convicted killer is
"OOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW Thaaaaaaaaat huuuuuuuuurts!!!!!!"
Too bad lethal injection is so humane.
I quote Sherriff Arpio;
"It might be cruel and unusual punishment, but if we did it more often, at least it wouldn't be unusual."

I quote Sherriff Arpio;
"It might be cruel and unusual punishment, but if we did it more often, at least it wouldn't be unusual."

My advice? The last guy you want to quote is Sheriff Arpaio.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Well isn't that special!

There are a lot of people who abuse their bodies with drugs, alcohol, smoking, and/or ignoring their medical problems...then when they are on their death bed, they wonder why they are dying after making such an effort to clean up their act.

The answer is: sometimes you have to pay now for your mistakes in the past.

I quote Sherriff Arpio;

My advice? Don't quote a lawless scumbag who spits on the Constitution for fun.

just for fun....what consitutional violation was he found guilty....

I quote Sherriff Arpio;

My advice? Don't quote a lawless scumbag who spits on the Constitution for fun.

I don't need advice. The koolaid drinkers are the ones who make these claims. The quote was from when Janet Reno held hearings and FOUND NOTHING TO PROSECUTE HIM FOR!
The voters here keep electing him and the only ones locally that keep complaining about him have been locked up in his tent city jail.
Arizona loves Joe and plans to elect him as the next Governor of the state.

I don't need advice. The koolaid drinkers are the ones who make these claims. The quote was from when Janet Reno held hearings and FOUND NOTHING TO PROSECUTE HIM FOR!
The voters here keep electing him and the only ones locally that keep complaining about him have been locked up in his tent city jail.
Arizona loves Joe and plans to elect him as the next Governor of the state.

Dawn Teo: Sheriff Arpaio Indicts Political Opponents While Feds Investigate Arpaio

This week, Arpaio and County Attorney Andrew Thomas indicted Maricopa County Supervisor Don Stapley for the third time. They also indicted Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox. Both Stapley (R) and Wilcox (D) have been vocal opponents of Arpaio's hardline immigration enforcement policies. Stapley has been charged with fraud, theft, perjury, forgery, and false swearing. Wilcox has been charged with conflict of interest, perjury, forgery, and false swearing. The merit of the charges, though, are lost on a public who is becoming increasingly cynical of the persecution of political foes in Maricopa County even for a local folk hero like Arpaio.

Prosecuting Judges who disagree with your methods and charge your officers with illegal activity when they commit them. Gee, you want THAT as your governor?

Joe won in 2000 with 66% of the vote. He won in 2004 with 56% of the vote. And then in 2008 with 55.2%

Joe Arpio is the best choice for the next governor of Arizona.
You missed the links about how he is currently investigating the current governor, (Jan Brewer)a republican, as well as the past governor,(janet napolotano) a bovine.
Go Joe Go!
Joe Arpio has my full support for any office he chooses to run for, including president of the USA.
I like Joe Arpio.

Joe Arpio is the best choice for the next governor of Arizona.
You missed the links about how he is currently investigating the current governor, (Jan Brewer)a republican, as well as the past governor,(janet napolotano) a bovine.
Go Joe Go!
Joe Arpio has my full support for any office he chooses to run for, including president of the USA.
I like Joe Arpio.

He's prosecuting political opponents. And you seem to not mind whether it is on trumped up charges or not. Hopefully you don't find yourself under his wrath, otherwise your tune will be changing mighty quickly.

I think sentencing someone to death is letting them off, and sentencing someone to death is more expensive than sentencing them to life.

the charges against Joe are trumped up as well.
No double standards will work with me.
If any of this drivel is proven to be more than attacks by the liberal spin machine I will be very surprised.
I repeat, i will support Joe Arpio for any office he seeks in this land.
I am not the only one that will either.

I think sentencing someone to death is letting them off, and sentencing someone to death is more expensive than sentencing them to life.

This is a fact. I'm also of the belief that sentencing someone to death is letting them off really. Especially those who kill children. If they were to kill a child and be in jail for life, they'd have to watch over their shoulder 24/7 for the rest of their life there.

Scott Peterson is a good example of that.

not if they take them out back and shoot them shortly after the judge says guilty....

Forum List

Back