Last Call By FBI...

The T

George S. Patton Party
May 24, 2009
What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
WASHINGTON (The Blaze/AP) — For months now, the FBI has been warning people that a blackout of their access to the Internet could be coming. The warnings about the Internet problem have been splashed across Facebook and Google, and Internet service providers have sent notices as well.

But tens of thousands of Americans may still lose their Internet service Monday unless they do a quick check of their computers for malware that could have taken over their machines more than a year ago.

The Blaze has covered the story a couple times, first stating the FBI would shut off Internet access to computers still infected as of March and later reported the extension the clean-up period until July 9.

Despite repeated alerts, the number of computers that probably are infected is more than 277,000 worldwide, down from about 360,000 in April. Of those still infected, the FBI believes that about 64,000 are in the United States.

Users whose computers are still infected Monday will lose their ability to go online, and they will have to call their service providers for help deleting the malware and reconnecting to the Internet.

The FBI Could Cut Your Internet Access in Four Days (Here’s How to Prevent It)

Not really sure about all of this...I read a bit and just went and checked anyway...My Anti-Virus sure didn't come up with anything before I looked either (and I scan live all the time)...buuut...I checked all 4 of my machines...All OK.

Do with this as you wish...just FYI.

Last edited:
One Month to DNS Changer Server Shutdown

The extension granted in March for the DNS servers run by the Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) for victims of the DNS Changer malware expires in a month. To recap: after the FBI (working with a cadre of private industry partners, including Trend Micro researchers) disconnected the ESThost/Rove Digital “rogue” DNS infrastructure in New York and Chicago as part of operation “ghostclick”, ISC acted under a custodial court order to install & maintain legitimate DNS servers for affected users.

The DNS Changer Working Group (DCWG) estimates that more than 350,000 users are still affected by DNS changer malware. Unlike the previous shutdown date in March – which was put off by a federal court – there will be no extension this time. In addition to checkup sites like the one maintained by the DCWG, commonly used sites like Facebook and Google have begun notifying their users as well. We urge users to check if they are affected by this problem; if they are they can go to the links provided by the DCWG or contact their ISP for help removing this threat. Users who ignore these warnings face being cut off from the entire Internet once the court order expires on July 9.

Trend Micro product users are protected from DNS Changer malware, detected as DNSCHANG. DNSCHANG is actively detected and removed from your system.

The thing that makes you wonder....just how does the FBI go about shutting off just YOUR internet connection??

The thing that makes you wonder....just how does the FBI go about shutting off just YOUR internet connection??

According to the article? It deals with the servers that are suspect, and the DNS re-routing malware was eminating. Once those servers that spread the malware are shut down? Those computers that still have the malware won't be able to log on to the internet because those servers will be shut down.

(The malware directs infected computers to go to those servers).

The problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of more than 570,000 infected computers around the world. When the FBI went in to take down the hackers late last year, agents realized that if they turned off the malicious servers being used to control the computers, all the victims would lose their Internet service.

In a highly unusual move, the FBI set up a safety net. They brought in a private company to install two clean Internet servers to take over for the malicious servers so that people would not suddenly lose their Internet.
But that temporary system will be shut down at 12:01 a.m. EDT Monday, July 9.

Most victims don’t even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their Web surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.

Domain Name Servers

Websites are identified in computer systems by a series of numbers called IP (Internet Protocol) addresses. So that humans do not have to remember multiple numbers for all the websites they want to visit, these numbers are matched by names in a database table housed on special types of computers called Domain Name Servers. The DNS server translates the websitenames into the correct IP address.

• Without domainname servers, navigating the Internet would become an extremely cumbersome task. Given the millions of websites in existence, keeping track of these by IP number would be impossible.

Read more: What Is a DNS Server? | eHow.com What Is a DNS Server? | eHow.com

So as you can guess? With these servers still online, and affected computers still going to them? Once the FBI pulls the plug? Guess what happens?

Getting on the internet won't really be possible for the affected machines.

Hope this helps?

According to the article? It deals with the servers that are suspect, and the DNS re-routing malware was eminating. Once those servers that spread the malware are shut down? Those computers that still have the malware won't be able to log on to the internet because those servers will be shut down.

The problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of more than 570,000 infected computers around the world. When the FBI went in to take down the hackers late last year, agents realized that if they turned off the malicious servers being used to control the computers, all the victims would lose their Internet service.

In a highly unusual move, the FBI set up a safety net. They brought in a private company to install two clean Internet servers to take over for the malicious servers so that people would not suddenly lose their Internet.

Most victims don’t even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their Web surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.

Ahh...that is a rather smart way to accomplish that, hadn't thought of that.

Ahh...that is a rather smart way to accomplish that, hadn't thought of that.

I went ahead and did the check after consulting the company I use for Anti-Virus. (I posted thier view).

In the article? It explains how to check your machine if you haven't done so. Monday is fast approaching.

Thanks for checking the thread out. :)

Isn't anyone else even the slightest but suspicious of this?

"Hi guise! We're the FBI and we say you have MalWare on yer' computer that will shut down the ENTIRE INTERWEBS! Please come to this site we've set up so we can scan your entire computer. Thanks!"

No thanks FBI.

Here's a PCWorld article about it that has links to AviraDNSRepair if you wanna' check your system out.

This is what I got after I ran the program:

DNSChecker.jpg

"Hi guise! We're the FBI and we say you have MalWare on yer' computer that will shut down the ENTIRE INTERWEBS! Please come to this site we've set up so we can scan your entire computer. Thanks!"

No thanks FBI.

Here's a PCWorld article about it that has links to AviraDNSRepair if you wanna' check your system out.

DNSChecker.jpg

I hadn't seen that before...

I followed the procedure as per the article and got this:

Attachments

• $FBI-Malware-Check.jpg
    $FBI-Malware-Check.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 92

Apparantly the FBI never heard of wifi.

WiFi has nothing to do with this issue...Just FYI. Even WiFi goes to a DNS

So the FBI is gonna shut off Lowes Home Improvement store's wifi cuz they might not like what ol HUGGY has to say?

I'd be up on Kryspy Kreme's in 20 seconds...then so and so's and so on.. I have seven computers.. and can afford to buy one a week if need be.

Maybe you know somthing I don't.. hell that is an understatement..:lol: but as far as I can tell the cat's out of the bag.. they would have to do some major reconstructing of the net to keep anyone off of it. I don't think they can afford to. I mean money wise.

So the FBI is gonna shut off Lowes Home Improvement store's wifi cuz they might not like what ol HUGGY has to say?

I'd be up on Kryspy Kreme's in 20 seconds...then so and so's and so on.. I have seven computers.. and can afford to buy one a week if need be.

Maybe you know somthing I don't.. hell that is an understatement..:lol: but as far as I can tell the cat's out of the bag.. they would have to do some major reconstructing of the net to keep anyone off of it. I don't think they can afford to. I mean money wise.

Ok Cool! Thanks :)

The US Government has unlimited funds via money printing at the Mint ordered by the Fed.

You think they haven't been working on it already?
Internet 'Kill Switch' Legislation Back in Play | Threat Level | Wired.com

Need I remind you that Israel and the US Govt are behind StuxNet?

Turn off the whole internet?

Ya THAT would go over without a hitch!

Too many people know too much already. There would be a pirate internet up and running in hours.

The gubmint has ACCESS to the internet just like you do. If it came to a fascist government to try to control the citizens of the U S A with that kinda grip there would be cities burning all over the country.

They would have little left worth governing.

Just so we are clear..

You are talking about the same FBI that let 12 Arabs take flying lessons in 757 simulators without wanting to learn how to land the planes? Right? THAT FBI?

I'm shakin..OOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOooooo..... :eek:

No thanks FBI.

DNSChecker.jpg

And that test does not require a scan. It just checks how your PC handles IP addresses.

No thanks FBI.

DNSChecker.jpg

And that test does not require a scan. It just checks how your PC handles IP addresses.

I went to that link which led me to the PC World and utimately the FBI site...The PC World site tells you HOW to determine your DNS addresse(s) [My provider had TWO]...

And i copied and pasted them both on the FBI site...bot again came up negative...and of course as earlier in the thread? i posted what my Anti-Virus provider [Trend Micro], had to say about it, and I was already protected...

But doesn't hurt to check. Nothing is infallible. ;)

Forum List

Back