LAPD Shoots Woman Hostage

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
LAPD releases video of fatal police shooting of female hostage held at knifepoint

Authorities in Los Angeles released dramatic body cam video on Tuesday of a shooting in June that killed a knife-wielding man and a woman he was holding hostage – the first of two incidents this summer where a bystander was killed as police tried to stop an attacker.

The shooting on June 16 took place outside a homeless outreach center in Van Nuys, when the attacker, later identified as Guillermo Perez, tried to saw off a hostage's head, police said. Officers fired nearly 20 times, striking both of them.

"It's been 13 years since an officer's gunfire has killed an innocent bystander or hostage in this department," Police Chief Michel Moore said at a news conference. "In the last six weeks, it's happened twice."

This is freaking horrible. Mr. Perez ICame Here For A Better Life was trying to saw the woman’s head off! While shooting the I Came Here For A Better Life guy they hit the hostage too. I guess it’s better being shot than having your head sawn off!

they had lots of time to blast him to hell before he grabbed her
but the idiots would've burned LA down if they had done that
..another reason why it is justifiable and RIGHT to blast these jackasses to hell---
why they are a threat/etc

Funny how in a CCW course you are taught in no uncertain terms, that you are 100% accountable for every round you discharge. Yet police are given special Lee way in consideration of so called “exceptional circumstances”. What a crock. As if a civilian using his gun in this same scenario would be given the same Lee way...

Funny how in a CCW course you are taught in no uncertain terms, that you are 100% accountable for every round you discharge. Yet police are given special Lee way in consideration of so called “exceptional circumstances”. What a crock. As if a civilian using his gun in this same scenario would be given the same Lee way...
So you think you should get the same consideration as a cop? Well, put your ass on the line everyday then we’ll talk.

So you think you should get the same consideration as a cop? Well, put your ass on the line everyday then we’ll talk.
I’ll talk now thank you.

I’ll talk now thank you.
Falls on deaf ears

I’ll talk now thank you.
Yet here you post...

If you think that only police officers should have a say in the accountability of police officers killing civilians... Life in America is gonna be real hard on you.

I’ll talk now thank you.
Yet here you post...
Soon as you put your sorry armchair quarterback ass on the line! Dew it!

I’ll talk now thank you.
Yet here you post...
I did my time. And even if I hadn’t. Every free voting citizen has a say in these matters. Welcome to America.

LAPD releases video of fatal police shooting of female hostage held at knifepoint

Authorities in Los Angeles released dramatic body cam video on Tuesday of a shooting in June that killed a knife-wielding man and a woman he was holding hostage – the first of two incidents this summer where a bystander was killed as police tried to stop an attacker.

The shooting on June 16 took place outside a homeless outreach center in Van Nuys, when the attacker, later identified as Guillermo Perez, tried to saw off a hostage's head, police said. Officers fired nearly 20 times, striking both of them.

"It's been 13 years since an officer's gunfire has killed an innocent bystander or hostage in this department," Police Chief Michel Moore said at a news conference. "In the last six weeks, it's happened twice."

This is freaking horrible. Mr. Perez ICame Here For A Better Life was trying to saw the woman’s head off! While shooting the I Came Here For A Better Life guy they hit the hostage too. I guess it’s better being shot than having your head sawn off!

Truly a tragic end for that poor woman. Sadly, cops just aren't trained that well. Thus you are going to see far more of this sort of tragic end before the idiots in charge figure out they need to up the training for their people.

Truly a tragic end for that poor woman. Sadly, cops just aren't trained that well. Thus you are going to see far more of this sort of tragic end before the idiots in charge figure out they need to up the training for their people.
What should they have done? Stand and watch the dude saw her head off?

Yep. When I was stationed at Newport RI, I also became a member of the base Security Force. We were taught by the Gunny to have ammo control. That meant you didn't fire off your entire clip and then reload, it meant you took one to three shots, assessed the situation, and if more shots were required, another one to three shots, then reassess the situation. In range training, we were taught to fire from several different positions, and had a certain amount of shots you were to fire at each target. If you fired too many rounds at one target, you ran out of ammo before you finished the course.

Firing 18 shots at just one dude who has a hostage? That is a disaster just begging to happen. When they fired at him with the bean bag gun and he didn't go down, THAT is when they should have fired one or two shots to keep him from going after the woman in the walker. And, since the dude had a knife, did all three cops really need to fire at once? Shouldn't one have been designated as prime shooter, while the rest stood by as backup? Would have made more sense than firing 18 shots at the dude. With that many rounds being fired, she was sure to catch a bullet or two.

No, the cops need better training. I know that I got good training in the Navy, why is it so hard for the police to get good training?

I’ll talk now thank you.
Yet here you post...
I did my time. And even if I hadn’t. Every free voting citizen has a say in these matters. Welcome to America.
You just have a lot more credibility when you aren’t an armchair quarterback! Don’t you think those cops are just feeling horrible that they hit the victim? You want them punished for trying to save her asswipe?

Yep. When I was stationed at Newport RI, I also became a member of the base Security Force. We were taught by the Gunny to have ammo control. That meant you didn't fire off your entire clip and then reload, it meant you took one to three shots, assessed the situation, and if more shots were required, another one to three shots, then reassess the situation. In range training, we were taught to fire from several different positions, and had a certain amount of shots you were to fire at each target. If you fired too many rounds at one target, you ran out of ammo before you finished the course.

Firing 18 shots at just one dude who has a hostage? That is a disaster just begging to happen. When they fired at him with the bean bag gun and he didn't go down, THAT is when they should have fired one or two shots to keep him from going after the woman in the walker. And, since the dude had a knife, did all three cops really need to fire at once? Shouldn't one have been designated as prime shooter, while the rest stood by as backup? Would have made more sense than firing 18 shots at the dude. With that many rounds being fired, she was sure to catch a bullet or two.

No, the cops need better training. I know that I got good training in the Navy, why is it so hard for the police to get good training?
Well sadly, police officials do not have the budget that the US navy has!

And that’s where it looked like everything really went sideways. Once the first cop fired a veritable fulisade was unleashed. With a hostage right there. And we see this in many police shooting videos. Where everybody seems to wait; but once the first shot is fired... everyone gets in on the action. Sometimes it may be warranted. This was absolutely not one of those times... especially the second cop cam footage.

Forum List

Back