LandLords Forbidden From Asking About Citizenship Status

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by William Joyce, Oct 14, 2007.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    http://www.vanguardnewsnetwork.com/?p=2281

SAN FRANCISCO – California is again forging its own path on immigration reform by becoming the first state to prohibit landlords from asking tenants' immigration status.
    Amid frustration over the federal government's failure to reform immigration laws, cities across the country have taken their own action to keep out illegal immigrants, including barring property from being rented to undocumented tenants.

the law signed this week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenneger elicited a sigh of relief among landlord associations concerned that without it, they'd be forced to take on the cost and the liability of enforcing federal laws as “de-facto immigration cops,” said Nancy Ahlswede, executive director of the Apartment Association, California Southern Cities.

2. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I tried being a landlord ONCE, kind of felt like I fell under the "let no good deed go unpunished" doctrine.

Don't know why ANYONE would want to be one..............:lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. bizzar721

bizzar721 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Landlords I believe have the right to ask what they need to, to ensure a profitable business. I mean, who is responsible for the property, and also for any summons. So does that mean that landlords cannot run background checks on tenants...because illegal immigrants technically "are not in America" so when it comes back as they do not exist it is a telltale sign that they are not a USA citizen.
    Then again this is coming from a state that "known to the state of California, lead has been known to cause cancer". (True, but only in Cali?)
    Whats next, giving illegal immigrants in New York Licenses..... oh...we did.......

4. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Note: There is a difference between asking someone if he is a US citizen, and taking the time and trouble to confirm what the prospective tenant tells you. My first reaction to this topic was to demand that landlords confirm tenant status. Then, I though about cost the landlord would face. Haven’t conservatives often complained that governments give private businesses too many hoops to jump through? Aren’t they tired of the tedious rules and regulations that people are required to follow? I see bout sides of the issue and I’m undecided.

5. 82Marine89

82Marine89 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    This has less to do with immigration issues and more to do with rights being taken away from the property owner.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Actually, I figure WJ didn't think anyone would read beyond the thread title. Seems the landlords are pleased with the legislation because they don't want to be the immigration police for the Feds.

From the OP

the law signed this week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenneger elicited a sigh of relief among landlord associations concerned that without it, they'd be forced to take on the cost and the liability of enforcing federal laws as “de-facto immigration cops,” said Nancy Ahlswede, executive director of the Apartment Association, California Southern Cities.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    You realize he QUOTED that part?

8. 82Marine89

82Marine89 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I wouldn't expect any less from a lawyer.

The cost would be passed on to the tenant and the liability issue is mute if they follow proper procedures. All this is is the government taking our rights away from us and folks willingly giving them up.

9. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    If I were renting an apartment, I would not want my rent to go up simply because the agency responsible for keeping illegal immigrants out wants to pass the buck to landlords.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Which is why I commented that he thought no one would read past the thread title... which misrepresented what actually occurred.