LandLords Forbidden From Asking About Citizenship Status

This raises an interesting conflict in conservative politics.

Do you want to do something about illegal immigration or do you want to give business owners total freedom to conduct business?

Fair Housing Act
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents of legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability). More on the Fair Housing Act

I don't think i'd ban landlords from asking questions like this. Especially since illegal immigrants can be a flight risk regarding property damages. I don't think that refusing to rent to an illegal should conflict with the Fair Housing act since such should apply to CITIZENS. Perhaps landlords see this ban as a good thing because of a total lack of effort to curb illegal immigration anywhere else and they, rightfully, don't want to become the enforcers of immigration policy. I know that when I owned property and was a landlord that I used every tool I had available to check backgrounds. Certainly, banning the option seems to validate illegal immigration.

I dunno, I woudn't ban the question but I also wouldn't REQUIRE it unless we are going to actually take steps to curtail illegal immigration. If so, then using landlords to enforce policy is a bad idea.

Frist, I would disagree with this hyper-libertarian idea that nobody owes society anything. I do think a businessman has a bigger responsiblity.

Well I guess it depends on the level of property renting you are undertaking. Not all landlords are running a business. You could make the argument that because they are accepting money for their "service", i.e. providing a property to live on, that they are ALL businesspeople. But that's too general in a case like this. My next door neighbors put their house up for sale, and have already bought another one in a different state. They'd like to move ASAP, and are willing to rent the one for sale for the time being until it's sold, to maintain their current financial level. I don't think they have a societal responsibility, in such a small venture. Nor should the government tell them they do.

When you own a whole complex, or a number of different properties, and it really is your sole purpose to earn income by continually renting out your properties, then maybe you ought to be checking up.

I mean, I think you ought to check up ANYWAY. It's a small price to pay for your own reassurance.

And I don't think that NOBODY owes society ANYTHING. I just don't think in this case that landlords do, at least from a federal legislative point of view.

But second, the way America works, checking up on illegals is "racism" and so it's hard to do.

I believe it would be as easy as using one of the many internet sites devoted to providing background checks for a fee, no? You can find out an awful lot about someone for about $30. And I don't believe the individual would ever even know. It's all public record info.

Anytime I ever rented, which has been frequently in my life, I've had to provide a SS# on the application form. I would think that makes or breaks you right there.

It is certainly your OPINION that you are proposing, Bern'80.

It's not an opinion for one thing. Nor is it worthy of hostility. By definition if you know someone is acting illegally and do nothing about it you are, under the law, aiding and abetting.

Illegal aliens are rampant in CA, they passed said law because the legislature has no intention of prosecuting those that harbor felons.

I own and lease property in several states. I have no obligation in any of them to ascertain citizenship prior or at any time during my leasing, purchasing or renting agreements. My business is my business and I intend to keep it that way.

would you be happy to rent to illegal, knowing thats its possible that your decision may contribute to homeless of american citizens?

Housing is not easy to find, and your pass the buck attitude is part of the problem not the solution.

every land lord should volunteer to rent to ONLY americans

NO illegals

It is certainly your OPINION that you are proposing, Bern'80.

I own and lease property in several states. I have no obligation in any of them to ascertain citizenship prior or at any time during my leasing, purchasing or renting agreements. My business is my business and I intend to keep it that way.

I rent and sell to those that I believe can actually pay for the property and service that I can provide for them.

would you be happy to rent to illegal, knowing thats its possible that your decision may contribute to homeless of american citizens?

Housing is not easy to find, and your pass the buck attitude is part of the problem not the solution.

every land lord should volunteer to rent to ONLY americans

NO illegals

If it is your desire to manage my properties and /or my business I eagerly await your offer and business plan.

It's not an opinion for one thing. Nor is it worthy of hostility. By definition if you know someone is acting illegally and do nothing about it you are, under the law, aiding and abetting.

Illegal aliens are rampant in CA, they passed said law because the legislature has no intention of prosecuting those that harbor felons.

You would be wrong. There are few laws that require citizens to report anything. Simply having knowledge of a crime that you were not involved in does not automaticly make you classified as aiding and abetting.

But if you knew for a fact, that you had 2 people interested in a property you owned.

One illegal, and one legal.

Who would you rent too.

Yeah, its a hypothetical, but would you please answer it
;)
I rent and sell to those that I believe can actually pay for the property and service that I can provide for them.

If it is your desire to manage my properties and /or my business I eagerly await your offer and business plan.

I hand the property over to the first one that has the money and the record that demonstrates a solid propensity to complete the contract.

But if you knew for a fact, that you had 2 people interested in a property you owned.

One illegal, and one legal.

Who would you rent too.

Yeah, its a hypothetical, but would you please answer it
;)

Why do you even ask that stupid question?

Forum List

Back